Butterfly balls

Hey all! I was just wondering, what is the difference between the Black labelled Butterfly G40+ ball and the pink one?
cace668b98adca44aa30d5fc75eb.jpg butterfly-germany-ball-WG.jpg

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Their new ball the A40+ is coming out by the end of the year (November 21st in Japan) and will be used at the 2018 ITTF World Championships. I'm assuming they're made of ABS plastic like Nittaku Premium, similar material to all the new improved generation of plastic balls (DHS D40+, Stiga Perform 40+...).

Butterfly A40+ 3-Star Ball.jpg
Butterfly A40+ 3-Star Ball box.jpg
Butterfly A40+ 3-Star Ball WC18.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
The black ones are made of master quality plastic.
I don't care about the quality of the plastic. This ball has a terrible sound and tears off like its made of a recicled plastics.
The factory is perfect in making balls for deodorant roll-on.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
It would be good if the new chinese A40+ are better than the german G40+, as for me the G40+ is amongst the worst plastic balls ever.

I think that's Butterfly intent there, for the A40+ ball to be their best plastic ball and similar to Nittaku Premium. They are choosing it to be the ball for the World Championships, whereas the G40+ ball was never selected for a major tournament.

I wouldn't call the G40+ the worst plastic ball, but it's not that good indeed, just like all the plastic balls that preceded the ABS plastic balls. I personally hate the XSF and thought the G40+ was not as bad

Last edited:
G40+ has been declared as an official ball for some championships, but withdrawn soon after..... For a reason.
I appreciate your opinion, as any others. Everybody has the free will to choose and decide what makes him happy.
For me all XuShaofa balls, no matter of stamp on them, are the best plastics.
The Robots in my club, with no emotion, say the same.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Woah! That's so cool! Can I get these now though?

Looks like we're going to have to wait until at least the end of the year. Not sure when Butterfly Europe will start stocking them but definitely sometime after Japan (Nov. 21). I doubt it'll be quite as good or better than the Nittaku Premium, but let us hope!

In the meantime, I'd play with either the DHS D40+ (almost as good as the Nittaku but 5x cheaper), or the Nittaku which is by far the best plastic ball available right now and the standard that all the new and upcoming ABS balls are based and will be judged on. I wouldn't bother playing with any of the current Butterfly balls, G40+ included.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
G40 is horrible.

I am glad they will have an ABS ball.

Baal flat out refuses to QUANTIFY horrible... since he already did it several times across several forums. Anyone reading his posts over the last few years should have a clear picture of the plastic ball scene.

Personally, I didn't think the G40+ was in the HORRIBLE range (think Joola 40+ Seamed balls). Yes, the bounce sounded like a revved-up 90 yr old grandma on CRACK doing her loud thing each bounce, but they oddly kept spin and really kicked off the table. In topspin to topspin rallies, you had to speed up your timing some. Oddly, the bounce from an underspin at the table was consistent enough. You could expect where it would go, so that area was OK.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Baal flat out refuses to QUANTIFY horrible... since he already did it several times across several forums. Anyone reading his posts over the last few years should have a clear picture of the plastic ball scene.

Personally, I didn't think the G40+ was in the HORRIBLE range (think Joola 40+ Seamed balls). Yes, the bounce sounded like a revved-up 90 yr old grandma on CRACK doing her loud thing each bounce, but they oddly kept spin and really kicked off the table. In topspin to topspin rallies, you had to speed up your timing some. Oddly, the bounce from an underspin at the table was consistent enough. You could expect where it would go, so that area was OK.

I feel the same way. XSF and Joola 40+ are the worst to me. Bad memories of the LA Open? Think I saw you there!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thomas... I waz there... Only dude cheering for Koo S K in Korean.

Ball of tourney was Jolla Flash... a XSF seamless ball that is 9 Out of 10 times an egg and more fragile than one.

All in all, it was way better than their 40+ ball, which was an abomination to the sport of tt.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I gained a few points... they used Joola Flash... so did 2016 NA Teams in DC... I gained big time there. I can play with Flash ball acceptable enough... but other car made balls are better.

Every tourney with Jolla 40+ I LOST points big time. I must have done 4 of them. Every time a bad day. Ball never bounced right for shyt

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thomas... I waz there... Only dude cheering for Koo S K in Korean.

Ball of tourney was Jolla Flash... a XSF seamless ball that is 9 Out of 10 times an egg and more fragile than one.

All in all, it was way better than their 40+ ball, which was an abomination to the sport of tt.

If the Flash is bad enough already, I can't imagine of their previous 40+ ball plays... I'm not even going to try lol

I noticed a guy decked out in Nexy at the LA Open, it wasn't until you posted pics on the forum a few days ago that I realized it was you otherwise I would have said hi!

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Yup. That is me... the Nexy Pimp. I require myself to wear Nexy shoes, Nexy shorts, shirt, carry around 2 or 3 Nexy bags and 12 Nexy bats at all times every time I go to a club.

Haha, well if I see you next year maybe you can let me give the Kim Jung Hoon and Karis rubbers a try!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha, well if I see you next year maybe you can let me give the Kim Jung Hoon and Karis rubbers a try!

I'll be in San Diego in Dec, then on to US Open. Maybe I pop into LA before I hit SD... Maybe you pop into San Diego's famous garage or SDTTA...

You may or may not like Karis right away, it is simply linear control, ditto for KJH, just a well rounded wood blade that fits my game. Tell you what though, Karis handles incoming spin real well, gives you confidence.