Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Below is the latest interview on Timo Boll. Timo talks about his new book that he has released! The World number 4 also talks about his preparation for London 2012 and his recent performance at the European Table Tennis Championships beating compatriot Patrick Baum.

Timo Boll: „My performances were worlds apart”

Interview with European Champion Timo Boll

cerem_boll.jpg

Gold in the team event and in the Men´s Singles - it seems that all things went to plan for Timo Boll at the European Championships in Gdansk?

“The fans and the media probably expected it more than I did myself. I didn´t target my preparation on the European Championships, there are simply too many events this season. I am also still quite tired from my demanding summer: I had practically no break at all and spent almost two months in China for training and competition purposes. At the beginning of the European Championships I played miserably.”

In the final, however, we saw an outstanding Timo Boll didn´t we?

“My performances at the beginning of the tournament and on finals day were worlds apart. The fact that I can gradually find my form during a tournament and still enhance my performance after seven or eight days is a basis that I have worked hard for over the years. In Gdansk I managed to improve from one day to the next, also depending on how hard my opponents pushed me.”

Undoubtedly a vital improvement, in view of Patrick Baum´s world-class performance in the final…

“Most definitely. 95 percent wouldn´t have been enough this time around. Patti played brilliantly. If he would have maintained his level of performance from the second game, I probably would have lost. However, I was able to produce some amazing shots in difficult situations, which even I don´t achieve every day. The rallies in the match were quite punishing. Patti is improving and it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to beat him.”

Titles number 14 and 15 have pushed your record as gold medallist at European Championships to a staggering height. In view of the fact that you announced this week that you intend to continue for at least another five years, up to the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, there will no doubt be many more medals coming your way.

“I would like to continue playing at a high level for another five years. My immediate goal is an Olympic medal in London 2012, as a Men´s Singles Olympic medal is still missing in my collection. However, if my body can take the strain, I would also like to compete in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.”

champ_boll.jpg

When will you begin your preparation for London 2012?

“Following a short break I will begin my preparation for London 2012 this month. In London I will have to be top fit to keep up with the Chinese. However, in Germany there is currently a strong generation of players who are pushing each other, just like in China. If my colleagues manage to take a big step forward and I take a small one, then anything is possible, even in the team events in London or at the World Team Championships in Dortmund in March 2012.”

Now a completely different but by no means less interesting subject: Together with the sports journalist Friedhard Teuffel you have been promoting your book “My China” (Mein China) this week, which is now available in book stores.

“Yes, the European Championships are already history. Now it is promotion week for my new book “Timo Boll – My China” (Timo Boll-Mein China). Nearly all week I will be all over the country promoting my book. The first week is proving to be very promising. In the Amazon sales lists the book has already jumped from position 64 up to 48 in the first few days, therefore hitting the top 50. A huge thank-you at this point to all my fans and anyone who has already bought a copy!!!”

gold_team.jpg

Interview Source: TableTennisTalk

What did you think of Timo Boll's interview? I hope your all going to buy a copy of his book! I can't to read it! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
There's no doubt that he can keep playing as Jorgen does, but let's be honest not even the Chinese typically go past the age of 35. WLQ is around that age and he'll be retiring soon I'm sure. To be at that high level of competition must strain the body immensely. He can soon just have some fun playing for exhibitions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
There's no doubt that he can keep playing as Jorgen does, but let's be honest not even the Chinese typically go past the age of 35. WLQ is around that age and he'll be retiring soon I'm sure. To be at that high level of competition must strain the body immensely. He can soon just have some fun playing for exhibitions.
The Chinese players demand relatively more from their bodies earlier on in their career. That is why they appear at the world circuit around the age of 17, while others like from Europe get to a (relatively seen) similar level at maybe 22. This is one of the advantages that the Chinese have, but it also means that non-Chinese players' top levels can be maintained till a later age, simply because their peak comes later. I do believe that Timo has some years left in the world's top 5.