Early Review/Returns on Penhold Gambler Fire Dragon Touch Blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
What's up fellow penholders, thought I'd share my initial impressions of a really nice blade I recently picked up.

Gambler Fire Dragon Touch.
I live in the states so I got it from Zeropoong.com (who owns Gambler)
https://www.zeropong.com/composite-...re-dragon-touch-penhold-with-free-shirt-p-419

I guess they launched a Gambler site also. I don't know if you guys across the pond can order form here. I've never tried.
http://www.gamblertt.com/

FireDragonTouch1.JPG

FireDragonTouch2.JPG

Speed: 81(OFF)
Ply: 5 wood + 2 F.L.C.
Flex: mid high
Weight: 81 grams+-2
Thickness: 5.75mm+-.2
Head width: 151mm+-2
Head height: 161mm+-2

They say on their website *compares favorably to Butterfly Innerforce Layer ZLC" so looks like this blade is meant to be a clone of that. I've never hit with the that Butterfly blade so I cannot speak to that.

The finish on the wood was super smooth & very nice. Much nicer than my Clipper which was a little rough. The reason why I have it pictured here next to my Yinhe W6 is because that Yinhe, and my Stiga Cipper are two of the most comfortable Cpen handles I've ever held and I think for me it's because the actual handle thickness is very skinny. I once had a DHS PG7 that was a nice blade but the roudness of the handle was so thick, it was uncomfortable to hold. I like a skinny handle (I think that's why Jpens feel so great) and this handle on this Gambler blade is one of the thinner ones in circumference I've ever seen. Just great blade. Just know you'll have to sand the wings to round them like all Cpens.

Took it to club last night with MXP on my FH and FXS on my BH. I originally had these rubbers on my Clipper but felt that my Clipper is too fast and more importantly too stiff. Don't get me wrong. If you're a hitter or if you play Short Pips? You should get a Clipper. No question. But i wanted something skinnier 5.74mm compared to to the Clipper 6.6 and with more flex. This does the job. Opening loops were a breeze & speed is still pretty darn good. Now I got the Fire Dragon Touch which is their control version. They have a faster version and another thicker hitting version in the Fire Dragon series. But I'm looking for consistency in my game. I had a club mate hit with it and he said he could feel the ball very well. Interestingly enough, as I was hitting with his blade while he was testing mine, I believe it was the Hurricane Long, man that thing vibrates on loops. I didn't get any of that from the Fire Dragon.

Touch shots & drop shots on service receive were noticeably easier to execute with this vs my Clipper.

All in all I couldn't be more impressed and I recommend giving this a go if you're in the market.

PS - My goal was to just share my impressions and excitement over my new fav toy. :) Because I do like it and was speaking highly of it, maybe it's the cynic in me, I feel i should note that in no way is this like a sponsored endorsement or anything like that. Just an honest first impression. thx. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
...and how was the free t-shirt?

It's 100% polyester and my one complaint is that my size is slightly too big.

I'm 6'0 and 186 lbs. I ordered a large which typically is a safe bet for those dry fit type of shirts.

I love the shirt. It's light weight, great for working out in and looks pretty sharp. Just a little too big. Just a hair too long and a hair too baggy around the mid section.

If I had to do it all over again, i would have ordered a medium.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Do you know what the “clearwood” core is made of? (Afaik there is no species called clearwood.)

Sorry. No idea. I suppose one could contact the manufacturer to get more detail if they wanted.

From their site:
4 outer layers of high grade Limba and Koto followed by *high modulus carbon interwoven with multi stranded tempered filament,(F.L.C)., Inner core of high grade select clearwood.

Post Edit here:

I did a google search. One of the answers I found...
Clear wood is a light wood void of grain. Or has a very light grain. Some pine, poplar and Aspen are considered clear.

Basically of the variety of answers you get, it seems it largely is some type of mix of wood or type of wood without knots or blemishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
What's up fellow penholders, thought I'd share my initial impressions of a really nice blade I recently picked up.

Gambler Fire Dragon Touch.
I live in the states so I got it from Zeropoong.com (who owns Gambler)
https://www.zeropong.com/composite-...re-dragon-touch-penhold-with-free-shirt-p-419

I guess they launched a Gambler site also. I don't know if you guys across the pond can order form here. I've never tried.
http://www.gamblertt.com/

View attachment 14485

View attachment 14486

Speed: 81(OFF)
Ply: 5 wood + 2 F.L.C.
Flex: mid high
Weight: 81 grams+-2
Thickness: 5.75mm+-.2
Head width: 151mm+-2
Head height: 161mm+-2

They say on their website *compares favorably to Butterfly Innerforce Layer ZLC" so looks like this blade is meant to be a clone of that. I've never hit with the that Butterfly blade so I cannot speak to that.

The finish on the wood was super smooth & very nice. Much nicer than my Clipper which was a little rough. The reason why I have it pictured here next to my Yinhe W6 is because that Yinhe, and my Stiga Cipper are two of the most comfortable Cpen handles I've ever held and I think for me it's because the actual handle thickness is very skinny. I once had a DHS PG7 that was a nice blade but the roudness of the handle was so thick, it was uncomfortable to hold. I like a skinny handle (I think that's why Jpens feel so great) and this handle on this Gambler blade is one of the thinner ones in circumference I've ever seen. Just great blade. Just know you'll have to sand the wings to round them like all Cpens.

Took it to club last night with MXP on my FH and FXS on my BH. I originally had these rubbers on my Clipper but felt that my Clipper is too fast and more importantly too stiff. Don't get me wrong. If you're a hitter or if you play Short Pips? You should get a Clipper. No question. But i wanted something skinnier 5.74mm compared to to the Clipper 6.6 and with more flex. This does the job. Opening loops were a breeze & speed is still pretty darn good. Now I got the Fire Dragon Touch which is their control version. They have a faster version and another thicker hitting version in the Fire Dragon series. But I'm looking for consistency in my game. I had a club mate hit with it and he said he could feel the ball very well. Interestingly enough, as I was hitting with his blade while he was testing mine, I believe it was the Hurricane Long, man that thing vibrates on loops. I didn't get any of that from the Fire Dragon.

Touch shots & drop shots on service receive were noticeably easier to execute with this vs my Clipper.

All in all I couldn't be more impressed and I recommend giving this a go if you're in the market.

PS - My goal was to just share my impressions and excitement over my new fav toy. :) Because I do like it and was speaking highly of it, maybe it's the cynic in me, I feel i should note that in no way is this like a sponsored endorsement or anything like that. Just an honest first impression. thx. :)

suds,

based solely on your review/reco, i bought one. deciding what rubbers to slap on and will test it out. for a little over a year, my primary blade is the butterly taksim. i do NOT like the chunky/fat handle. feels it hampers my TPB punch/block. hoping the thinner handle will help my TPB game. also i cannot push that well with the taksim, could be the blade itself and/or the donic bluefire i have one.

looking for a better pushing/touch game from a carbon blade and hope the Gambler will work out for me.

THANK YOU suds!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
suds,

based solely on your review/reco, i bought one. deciding what rubbers to slap on and will test it out. for a little over a year, my primary blade is the butterly taksim. i do NOT like the chunky/fat handle. feels it hampers my TPB punch/block. hoping the thinner handle will help my TPB game. also i cannot push that well with the taksim, could be the blade itself and/or the donic bluefire i have one.

looking for a better pushing/touch game from a carbon blade and hope the Gambler will work out for me.

THANK YOU suds!

Oh I'm excited to see what you think.

If your old blade you did not like the thick, chunky handle then this will be the exact opposite of that because this handle thickness is quite thin and I like that.

Anyways, this is still my main blade and I like pretty much everything about it. Thin handle, flexy & spiny. Slow so you won't have shots routinely fly off the end of the table. There's time for the ball to drop on. At the same time, it's not a speed demon but rest assured, when you go for it, it'll be plenty fast to win the point.

Let me know what you think after you've had a few hits with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hi! I actually bought this blade as well based on your review and a little bit more research. Before this I used to play with a Yasaka MEO, which was a bit more heavier, stiffer and lost power over distance. Since this was my first h composite blade, I cant say too much as to how it compares with others.

I'm a close to mid-distance penhold attacker with heavy emphasis on loops, flicks and 3rd ball attack. My blade weighed 81g unsanded which was much lighter than advertised (86-88g), but I prefer it this way actually. I played with this blade for roughly 30 hours with tg3 neo fh and focus 3 bh

Since the carbon is placed closer to the core, the blade plays very closely to an all wood and the feeling was nearly in distinguishable with my all wood MEO. My first impression was the speed and power especially farther from the table was significantly greater while still retaining consistency. Looping was amazingly stable and if I executed correctly, I could feel the stability from the carbon layer. Shots felt a little linear, but they would almost always hit.

Opening up the ball close was also easier but that may be due to the lightness of the blade and the increased speed. Looping backspin over the table required slightly less of an upward motion but worked like a dream.

The only thing I may note was that pushing was a little harder as I noticed I had to push into it a little more, but overall not that big of a problem.

Overall, its a great blade and my first from gambler. I was astounded by the quality for the price and will be keepinh an eye on them. Right im curious to try their vector target, but I'll stick with what I have for now

Reactions: JustANoob