Outrageous wiggle by Simon Gauzy!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
This is an absolute must watch! Simon Gauzy hits an absolute savage wiggle against Jeong Sangeun in the recent World Cup round of 16! I mean what is this shot even called!? Watch it below and leave a comment on what you want to name it!

Simon leaves Jeong scrambling and has to be a contender for craziest shot of the year! What should this shot be called?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
In our region we call it “der Schüttler“.
Can't tell the english name though.
[EDIT: “Der Schüttler“ means translated the shaker, so “wiggle“ is quite close]

Timo's did it in a match against Andrej Gacina not too long ago, Thomas Keinath and a few players who've been practicing under Helmut Hampl can do it too (i saw it live, actually they pulled that trickshot on me at the table)
[emoji15]
lastly i remember a vid Adam Bobrow has posted on his Facebook where he shows he can do it too.
I'll try to find the vids and post them here.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
This is an absolute must watch! Simon Gauzy hits an absolute savage wiggle against Jeong Sangeun in the recent World Cup round of 16! I mean what is this shot even called!?

[…]
What should this shot be called?

Wiggle isn't a bad find, but I think it's a corkscrew variation. What he does, is putting reverse corkscrew spin on the ball by a swift flick of the wrist and disguising it by opposing arm gestures.

At a much, much lower level I once faced an opponent with very limited abilities — but the one thing he could do was corkscrew/reverse corkscrews under the table, which turned out utterly disturbing and lead to many mistakes due to misreading spin and mistiming the hit. It took an unconventional approach to win that game, lobbing these corkscrews back loaded up with spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Basically it's a sidespin shot with a fake follow through.

Here's the promised vid:

Timo doesn't sell the fake though. He just puts the corkscrew sidespin on and the amount of sidespin is completely misjudged. His opponent can even see his racket as he does it.

Gauzy's fake motion is very convincing when you can't see what his racket actually does.

Still, Timo gets such pure corkscrew and such a kick to the side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Timo doesn't sell the fake though. He just puts the corkscrew sidespin on and the amount of sidespin is completely misjudged. His opponent can even see his racket as he does it.

Gauzy's fake motion is very convincing when you can't see what his racket actually does.

Still, Timo gets such pure corkscrew and such a kick to the side.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one, Carl.
From Gacina´s angle i´m not sure if he could properly see what was happening under the table. At 0.03 you can clearly see the moment of contact from Boll and at that moment Gacina´s got his eyes on the ball..... Not so much on Timo´s racket.
He obviously seems to expect the ball jumping in the other direction or why would he go the side if not to kill the ball?

Maybe you just had a quick look and want to look again, my friend.
[Emoji6]

BTW: here´s Adam´s vid. He also explains and shows what he´s doing. Doesn´t have much to do with corkscrew to me.
Somehow i couldn´t embedd it. Maybe you guys know how to...

https://www.facebook.com/experttabletennis/posts/1077748395617031

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
So Gauzy basically does a quick wristy sidespin to the right... followed by moving his arm to the left, giving the impression of spinning the ball to the left.

I notice the ball doesn't actually kick out too far over to the right. Yeung just stepped over anticipating a curve the other way. It bounces near the middle white line and doesn't appear to go much beyond the middle right side before bouncing on the ground. Whereas some of Adam Bobrow's curves get huge kick on them, but he seems to be using more motion and power for each shot. Gauzy's was more deception than outright spin I think.

All in all, great stuff! Hard to spot even in slow mo, as Gauzy does such a good job with the fake.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one, Carl.
From Gacina´s angle i´m not sure if he could properly see what was happening under the table. At 0.03 you can clearly see the moment of contact from Boll and at that moment Gacina´s got his eyes on the ball..... Not so much on Timo´s racket.
He obviously seems to expect the ball jumping in the other direction or why would he go the side if not to kill the ball?

Maybe you just had a quick look and want to look again, my friend.
[Emoji6]

BTW: here´s Adam´s vid. He also explains and shows what he´s doing. Doesn´t have much to do with corkscrew to me.
Somehow i couldn´t embedd it. Maybe you guys know how to...

https://www.facebook.com/experttabletennis/posts/1077748395617031

Perhaps part of the issue is that in Gauzy’s shot, I am fooled by the fake followthrough motion because I can’t actually see what he does.

There is no doubt in Tomo’s shot his opponent misreads the spin. If Timo’s racket is visible to Gacina it makes the deception that much more interesting.

But you are probably correct.

Gauzy’s fake followthrough is simply very obvious and I can’t see what he actually did. But I definitely can see what Timo did.

And no mater what, to get that much lateral kick means there was a lot of corkscrew spin on Timo’s shot. Therefore: INCREDIBLE TOUCH.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Perhaps part of the issue is that in Gauzy’s shot, I am fooled by the fake followthrough motion because I can’t actually see what he does.

There is no doubt in Tomo’s shot his opponent misreads the spin. If Timo’s racket is visible to Gacina it makes the deception that much more interesting.

But you are probably correct.

Gauzy’s fake followthrough is simply very obvious and I can’t see what he actually did. But I definitely can see what Timo did.

And no mater what, to get that much lateral kick means there was a lot of corkscrew spin on Timo’s shot. Therefore: INCREDIBLE TOUCH.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Gauzy did a very nasty trick, namely he only used his racket's angle and the incoming spin.
If you look at it carefully, he only does a fake followthrough, there is no true followthrough. He simply just touches the ball from the opposing side you would expect from his followthrough and probably uses his wrist to generate more spin.
So, this trick can't be done with every snake, because it heavily depends on the incoming spin, or you would hit the ball under the table with that motion. But no doubt that it requires great touch.