How to pull out string inside the middle of the net?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
So a lot of nets have a string that goes through the top of the net to keep the net tight. Unfortunately, one end of the string on one of the nets in my university is inside the middle of the net, making it very difficult, if not impossible to pull out.

Do you guys have any advice on what to do?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Get a thin metal coat hanger. Bend off break off or use pliers to cut off the top hanging part and all the twisty part. Bend out the hanger to be straight on one end. Make a tiny hook on the straight end. Stick it 4-5 inches past where you think the end of the net string is inside. Twist the hanger (one end will be bent to make this easy) a few times to wind the string around the hanger. Slowly pull it out.

If you do it right, it will take only one attempt, but try try again if you fail.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You could do the same thing with a large paper clip too.

Another thing to do is slow, but works. Pinch the string end inside the net a cm BELOW the end inside. Pinch a CM above the end lightly, but keep net inside open. Push down a 1/2 cm or so. Pinch top end of string, pull up towards end. This will get you to move the string a few mm at a t time, slow, but works too.

So much easier with a paper clip or coat hanger.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Reactions: darucla
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So a lot of nets have a string that goes through the top of the net to keep the net tight. Unfortunately, one end of the string on one of the nets in my university is inside the middle of the net, making it very difficult, if not impossible to pull out.

Do you guys have any advice on what to do?

My daughter is a master of doing this with the string that you have in sweatpants and threading it through. You may just have to be patient or find a girl who is skilled at those kinds of things. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Sometimes these posts throw up some very useful things. I did not know that these existed.

I only know because my wife makes clothes and curtains and often does similar things with my daughters otherwise I'd still be scratching my head trying to work it out. It seems to me that all the Tt answers we need are with somebody, somewhere in this forum - I really like that. At the risk of being overly profound, it's powerful stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I had 10 to do and luckily my wife gave me a large darning needle that came with one of the children's needlecraft sets. It's bright yellow and plastic and did the job really easily as it has an eye on the end to thread the string onto. This sort of thing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3005316942...=9046553&device=c&campaignid=857339229&crdt=0

What I should have also said was to pull the string out completely, attach one one through the eye of the needle and then feed it through bit by bit. Then tie a knot in both ends to prevent it happening again. A 5-10 minute job depending on your sewing skills!