Service Variations (change of playstyle, attack only third balls)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
hello on my game yesterday i served mostly half long services, high toss to the middle (no spin, backspin, topspin) or backhand and reverse and wang hao hook service to the forehand,

than i attack the service and play a third ball attack and hope to end the rally.

i was up 2:0, and than i lost the next set 11:6 very uncomfortable, because he read the service better and i could not attack the next ball.than i mixed me service, no spin long too his middle, long service parallel to the forehand down the line, long reverse service to his backhand, and i lost 29 to 27 and it was 2:2, i lost all my confidence (in the last set i play like a little kid with no confidence and power) and could not know what i should serve (long or half long), because he could return now everything i throw at him. i was very agressive and he put the ball on the table and wait for my failure.

what should i serve and how can i change my one sided game (mix in slow balls?) (because i only attack third ball attack from backhand and forehand) and how should i relax when nothing works in the last set or the set before.

I Hope you could help me and tell me some service variations, because i used all me ideas before and should win 3:1 intead of losing the set before 29:27 and i had like 6 matchpoints but very to agressive.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
You answered your own question: "...very aggressive...6 matchpoints but very aggressive."
If you are trying to force the play, you play with muscle tightness and quality and consistency goes down. Instead focus on the idea of placement with precision, seeking to find the spots that are awkward for your opponent to get to with balance. Your opponent let you beat yourself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
hello on my game yesterday i served mostly half long services, high toss to the middle (no spin, backspin, topspin) or backhand and reverse and wang hao hook service to the forehand,

than i attack the service and play a third ball attack and hope to end the rally.

i was up 2:0, and than i lost the next set 11:6 very uncomfortable, because he read the service better and i could not attack the next ball.than i mixed me service, no spin long too his middle, long service parallel to the forehand down the line, long reverse service to his backhand, and i lost 29 to 27 and it was 2:2, i lost all my confidence (in the last set i play like a little kid with no confidence and power) and could not know what i should serve (long or half long), because he could return now everything i throw at him. i was very agressive and he put the ball on the table and wait for my failure.

what should i serve and how can i change my one sided game (mix in slow balls?) (because i only attack third ball attack from backhand and forehand) and how should i relax when nothing works in the last set or the set before.

I Hope you could help me and tell me some service variations, because i used all me ideas before and should win 3:1 intead of losing the set before 29:27 and i had like 6 matchpoints but very to agressive.

Just because he read the service better shouldn't mean that you can't attack the third ball.

Was your opponent attacking your serve? If he was, you shouldn't have let that happen. Don't serve half-long, because you give your opponent a chance to attack. If you know how to serve short, you should have done that. If you can't serve short, then that is something that you have to learn.

If your service is everything you have, then you definitely do have a lopsided game. What if you play against somebody who knows how to read and return serves well? You need to definitely make a back-up plan and practice it.

For example, I simply serve short-underspin to the forehand and continue from there. The options my opponent has are very limited, and so it is easier for me to prepare for what is coming next.

I used to play like you, and things like this happen all the time. If you were winning in the beginning, but then you are losing now, pretend that you are playing against somebody you've never met before. He is no longer making serve-receive mistakes, and so he is basically like a better player now.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Sounds to me like your service isn't actually the issue. You describe lots of service variations, so it's not as though you need more variations. But you could probably benefit from using the variations more effectively. I doubt your opponent could return all of your serves equally well, so as the match progressed, you should have focused more on your service variations which were returned a little weaker or in a predictable way.

Some opponents will be able to return all your serves. This is OK. You need to get into the habit of always expecting your serves to be returned, then you will focus much more on positioning yourself for strong 3rd ball attacks.

Also as flatstyk says above, it sounds like you lost points by being too aggressive. Your opponent wasn't winning the points, you were giving them away. In this situation, reduce the power of your attacks, focus on placement, be prepared to go deeper into a rally and only attack big when the opportunity is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flatstyk