Need a new blade - help needed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Hi guys,

I’ve been playing now for over 35 years competively with the same blade (Imperial Super Control) but my last one is slowly breaking. I’m looking for alternatives I could test, that come close to it (have tried various but nothing found so far, closest so far was Petr Korbel). My old blade was heavy, had a large area and very good control (I play it with 2.1mm EL-P’s). In particular I have trouble finding blades with large areas. Thanks for any suggestions/help.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Purely as an example, look at the first two here :- http://www.hallmarktt.co.uk/e-attblades.php

It might help if you could measure the length and width of your current blade as shown on the Hallmark page above. I think there are quite a few large(r) blades out there still, the difficulty is trying to find any actual measurements being quoted. You may need to go to the various manufacturers' websites to get the measurements. The larger blades often seem to be aimed at defenders, although not exclusively. I used to have one myself - a balsa blade from Giant Dragon - but it was a bit unwieldy for me so I sold it.

You may also need to consult the Tabletennisdb site to find out the uncut measurements of your chosen rubbers. As I'm sure you know, if you have a larger blade many rubbers will barely fit on to it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Yup, the OSP blades come in large size. So do the Soulspin blades.

From OSP the virtuoso + would be similar to the Korbel.

On the budget end of the spectrum most of Gambler’s blades are 151x161 - I.e larger than OSP and Soulspin’s large size.

Do you know the structure of your blade? Can’t find any info about it..

Doing a little digging and assuming its the same "Imperial" that sell the "Cross Carbon speed" Blade and "Cyber Tacky" rubber then their web page is......

http://www.imperial-sport.de/

This has a contact telephone number and email address.

Maybe they can look back in their archives and tell you the blade make-up and if they have anything in their latest line-up that you might like? Worst case, if they are helpful enough to tell you the composition, I am sure there are plenty of people on here that can give you advice on a similar new blade :)

Hope it helps

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks a lot,

the size is actually 154 x 161

It will be hard to find off the shelf blades with offensive characteristics in this size. It's probably worth considering semi-custom/custom offerings, e.g. Soulspin and/or OSP. Soulspin offers all of their blades in DEF size, 156x162. OSP's small DEF size is the closest to your blade: 155x161. You'd have to contact them to see if there would be a big surcharge to get one of their offensive blades in that size, but they can do it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
thanks, indeed Soulspin has 156x162 blades, does anyone know how the Soulspin basalt blades perform, i.e. is there any comparable blade from standard manufactorers. I want to try it, if it does not work, i have to start to live with 152x158 ones.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
See this review of the basalt blade from Baal (also a TTD forum contributor): http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63488&title=soulspintt

Also, Soulspin has a testbox to figure out what custom handle to get, and it includes the basalt blade. (You can also order any of their roots series blades to try, and return them after tryout.)

The one issue with trying a smaller size blade and then going for the DEF size is that their playing characteristics will differ: roughly, everything else being the same, larger blades have smaller sweet spots and lower speed. (http://www.soulspin.tt/en/technology/blade-sizes.html)