My training videos

This user has no status.
The videos are all at my new channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TTblahness. The videos are posted below

Hi everyone, if you could watch my videos and give me some constructive suggestions it will be really good! I'm not a professional table tennis player(played very little when i was young, but started being hooked on it 4 years ago when I was 16)

These few sessions are to relax and maximise my power generation, so i'm trying to increase my spin and speed(and of course consistency!).

Some personal observations:

My FH looks really cramped and stiff LOL. I need to relax a lot more and not tuck my elbow in so much. Also, my FH follow-through doesn't go in front of my forehead in the "salute" position but to the elbow....:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Hey Blah,

Your backhand wrist action is really good. I don't really see many problems with your backhand other than your leg height/spring. Because you're standing fairly high your legs put less energy into the ball. While you're only driving the ball here for a standard BH Loop you want to really focus on using your legs to lift the ball as well as transfer the energy into while in sync with your wrist and forearm.

Your FH is very tight. And depending on what you're going for should require more length and more use of the legs. You're also standing fairly high with this stroke as well. Your starting position is okay, but I would suggest with your follow through fit a 90 degree angle between the side of your body and your tricep as well as your forearm and your bicep. This will help with transferring enough energy to lift the ball for far topspins or long underspins.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Stroke wise I don't think there's much flaw..but I wish I can see more. Your Bh is better than your FH, no doubt. I agree with Richard. Wish you can give more on your FH. You're basically just using your arm..it should come from your legs, to your back, shoulder, then only to your arm. Squat a lil more and really drive the ball. What you're showing us is the very basic and I really think that you have more to show us. Maybe alternating your placements, cross and down the line..and above all, more power. hehehehe

This user has no status.
Thanks for all the comments and replies! I have been training my BH a lot this uni semester coz it has been my weak point, but i guess now it's my strong point LOL! I think I need to rework my FH to use more of my body in the stroke. What tips do you guys have to help me to force my legs, hips and waist to aid in power generation?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I would say if you watch the last video where u are doing ur forehand loops just try and carry the power through a bit more, your body tends to stop as you swing your arm. To make the most of the power generated by your core and legs they should move together. The motion looks fluid enough just make sure you carry your body through instead of stopping and just using your arm after the ball contact :)

says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
Thanks for all the comments and replies! I have been training my BH a lot this uni semester coz it has been my weak point, but i guess now it's my strong point LOL! I think I need to rework my FH to use more of my body in the stroke. What tips do you guys have to help me to force my legs, hips and waist to aid in power generation?

I would say bend your knees and try to drop slighlty your FH shoulder and slightly backwards to spring forward/upward
hope this helps:)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
blahness, I add my amature comments to the mix for your FH stroke vs robot.

You REALLY need to add more wiast rotation, get lower, and maybe you can benefit from a little wider stance. As you push off with your right leg, you should have enough thrust to move your body through the shot and use a small hop to reposition while you twist the waist. You are losing a LOT of spin, control and power by not using the explosion of a lower knee bend and waist twist. Staying too erect during the stroke robs away a lot of control. If you hit like that in a match, you will be out of position and balance much of the time, plus moving to the next ball for position and balance will be chancy. Even so, you seemed to land a lot of your FH.

As for the finishing position of the stroke like a "Salute", it depends on what ball you get and what shot you are trying to play. There is not a single all-inclusive way to hit every FH. Some strokes that require a more forward swing you will not finish in a salute.