DHS NEO vs non NEO

This user has no status.
Apologies if this has been asked or covered before.
Basically I want to know if anyone has every tried H3NEO and Regular H3 on the same blade same colour. Could be any NEO actually just used H3 as example.
Although I have played both regular H3 and NEO I have never tested them together properly and as you know if you play with a NEO for a long time you don't really notice a decrease in performance if you don't boost it ever. But the factory tuning is supposed to wear off right? which in turn should play like regular H3? or is the sponge permanently softer on the NEO even if both are labelled 39deg?
I am asking this because the cost difference is nice and I don't really notice any difference from day 1 playing with a NEO to 3+months. But it's the same as someone not noticing losing weight if you see them every day, there probably is a difference I just don't notice it because I become accustomed to whatever i'm using.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
There is not factory tuning in H3 Neo. This is just some weird urban legend everyone claims. There is just a glue layer on top. It does not shrink or anything nor plays worse after a while. If you boost then that’s a different story.

This user has no status.
AFAIK the term Neo is a term for the Sponge used and has nothing to do with tuning. The difference between Neo and Regular is that Regular was made and optimized for Speedglue while the Neo sponge is made to be oil boosted.
What exactly you do with your equipment is totally up to you. and what exactly the layer is on top of the Neo Sponge i do not know.
But chinese sources highly recommend to let this Layer dry for at least 48 hours affter opening the package and before you start boosting or assemble, because in the factory they seal the rubber right after the layer is applied to the sponge, given it no Time to dry.

This user has no status.
But chinese sources highly recommend to let this Layer dry for at least 48 hours affter opening the package and before you start boosting or assemble, because in the factory they seal the rubber right after the layer is applied to the sponge, given it no Time to dry.

Oh really, I didn't know that. Interesting. So both unboosted and unglued are actually different sponges. I always thought the 'Factory Tuned' on the package meant they added a layer of booster or small tuning or something before sealing the sponge to keep the effect in.
So ultimately if you use regular glue when assembling them both on the blade the sponge will play different regardless of how much time you play with them.

I have always opened them and glued straight away. What's the reasoning to wait 48 hours?

Last edited:
At first I tried to boost and play with H3 but struggled (it could be because of bad booster) - I didn't have any control on the ball sometimes it was going in the net sometimes out of the table. After that I tried H3Neo (with removing the "boosted" layer and applying 4 layers of dianchi booster. After put my rubber on my blade I felt reborn. all my shots were in I had no problem with top spins, short balls or anything it could be a problem for chinese rubber and it did have the spin that the chinese rubbers have. So I would strongly recommend H3Neo. And just to clarify I had both H3 and H3Neo national versions on top of DHS hurricane long 5 (or to be exact w997).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
There is not factory tuning in H3 Neo. This is just some weird urban legend everyone claims. There is just a glue layer on top. It does not shrink or anything nor plays worse after a while. If you boost then that’s a different story.

I would have to disagree.
From my experience this isn't really true, it's NOT JUST A GLUE LAYER
The booster IS in the glue (just like when you boost yourself).
It' s got that stickey-ickey-ickey.
[Emoji6]

However this can not be compared to the factory tuning of Tensors® and the rubber is only boosted very slightly, and some people who don't use H3(non-neo) regularly will hardly feel any difference.
But the H3neo's sponge is slightly different and not as firm as on H3(non-neo)

If you would just glue on the H3neo without boosting you would feel how the rubber will feel much more lively than at first and after it has broken in.
But after 8 -10 weeks (depends how often and intense you play) it would slowly start degrading and feeling slower. This is not because the rubber itself is degrading but because of the factory boost wearing off.

Even DHS says by using their glue No. 15 there will be some tuning effect added, so to me it's quite obvious.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I always thought the 'Factory Tuned' on the package meant they added a layer of booster or small tuning or something before sealing the sponge to keep the effect in.

This for example is not true. Nowhere it's written on the packaging that the rubber is tuned! And actually I remember there was an interview with some DHS guy on myTT who just said that it's just a glue layer which should not dry out and that the Neo one is just a different sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
As I always recommend, get a H3 Neo provincial orange sponge. The price has gone down to $30. A regular H3 Neo cost $19 to 23.

A provincial H3 is noticeably better in control, feel and spin.

The provincial sponge is more lively so it's ready to play as it is. No boosting required.

For anyone I have spoken to I always recommend to invest another $10 to get a provincial H3 Neo.

Passionate about TT