"Dating Issues" Interview of the 90's TT players of the Chinese National Team

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
"Dating Issues" Interview of the 90's TT players of the Chinese National Team

Interviewers:
Xu Xin (01/08/1990); Fang Bo (01/09/1992); Yan An (01/12/1993);
Liu Shiwen (04/12/1991); Ding Ning (06/20/1990); Li Xiaodan (03/06/1990); Wu Yang (01/05/1992)

00221917dead0b693aa65a.jpg

Photo by: Chinadaily.com.cn

Most Unexpected Answers:
When is valentine's day? --- Fang Bo: 02/17. ◑﹏◐
What should you give as a present for valentine's day? --- Xu Xin: Doesn't matter as long as you give something. ●﹏●
What's your future wedding will be like? --- Ding Ning: I want it to be more romantic, but since we already decided to get marry, then my husband should be in charge of it. If he ask me, I'll say "be more romantic and surprise, you decide. If I am not satisfy, I'll not marry you." Y(^_^)Y
What do you want to give as present to him? --- Liu Shiwen: something that is useful, and can remind him of me when he's using it.

Question 1: If you are in a relationship, how will you spend your time in valentine's day?
Ding Ning: It will be based on my boyfriend's decision, I think he should plan it out, I will only to assist him.
Xu Xin: Go out to eat and walk around, doesn't matter as long as we spend time together.
Wu Yang: Go out to eat, watch a movie.

Question 2: If you like someone, will you say it out?
Liu Shiwen: No, I'll wait for him to say it first.
Ding Ning: I guess not, I like him to be more initiative.
Li Xiaodan: Why shall I keep it as a secret? It will be based on the situation, I may just tell him.
Xu Xin: It will be based on the conditions (ex. timing etc.). However, I think I'll just say it out directly since that is my personality.

Qustion 3: If you are in a relationship, what will you want to do with him/her the most?
Ding Ning: Go on a trip with him. When I was watching <Dreams Link>, I want to go to Provence to see the lavenders. Or go to Hokkaido to ski.
Li Xiaodan: Travel around the world.
Xu Xin: Go on a trip, go to beach, or go to north/south pole. ⊙﹏⊙‖∣
Fang Bo: vacation
Liu Shiwen: Just talk, lots of communications with each other.
Yan An: Eat together, hang out together.

Question 4: Will you dating with a table tennis player?
Liu Shiwen: Doesn't matter. (or 'let it be as it will be'. hard to translate this one.)
Xu Xin: Not sure, I have no expectation towards this.
Ding Ning: So far, I think its okay, because if both are TT players, we'll have more common topics to talk about and having a better understands of each other. I don't mind, but my mom will be disagree if i married a tt player. Haha, she hoping if I can married someone that's not a athlete.
Li Xiaodan: Maybe not.
Yan An: No.

(for question 5, they asked which type of love affair from movie/drama will you prefer? But the names of the dramas are in Chinese, they're hard to translate.)

Question 6: When will you marry? (age)
Liu Shiwen: I think it will be kinda late, after retirement for sure.
Ding Ning: it should be after my retirement, but I also may play for few years after I got married, and then back to normal life.
Fang Bo: above 33, 34 (years old) at least. After retired.
Xu Xin: 29 or 30, may be I still competing.
Yan An: above 30 no matter what.

Question 7: What kind of person is not your ideal man/woman for sure?
Liu Shiwen: Lack of personal qualities!!!
Ding Ning: Mean to me.
Xu Xin: Curse around people.

Question8: What is a perfect love affair to you?
Liu Shiwen: I hope we both have our own careers, he should has good personalities and temper since I am very anxious, and he should be tolerant to me.
Li Xiaodan: Both have their own goals, maybe its two different goals, but both work together. I think the experiences in between, no matter bad or good, are the most unforgettable.
Yan An: I hope she can accommodates to me and understands me.
Ding Ning: He has to be nice to me, gives me ideas... that's why I want a more mature person!
Xu Xin: If we have time, spend more time together, I won't be worry about 'speechless' or something because I am very talkative. I just hope two people be happy.
Fang Bo: Just get along with each other normally. If time is permitted, just come out to eat and talk etc.

Question 9: What should you give as a present in Valentine's day?
Liu Shiwen: Boys should give flowers, and girls should give some 'little' (cute) presents.
Ding Ning: Chocolates and Rose.
Li Xiaodan: boys-flowers, girls-chocolates.
Yan An: Rose
Wu Yang: Boys generally give flowers, but I think it varies.
Xu Xin: Chocolates? Doesn't matter as long as you give something.
Fang Bo: I don't celebrate Valentine's day, so...

Question 10: Do you have any expectations towards his/her physical appearance?
Liu Shiwen: between 170cm -180cm, not too height, neither fat nor skinny, and not ugly.
Ding Ning: If to imagine, of course is someone handsome and tall. For more realistic, can't be fat, be white, and have 'attractive' characteristic.
Li Xiaodan: has to be taller than me, don't have to be handsome or cool, but must has a comfortable look.
Xu Xin: physical appearance...um..normal range is fine. Personality is the most important, but she can't be taller than me.
Wu Yang: Tall, don't be too skinny, nose has to look nice. (nose? weird.)
Fang Bo: Looks pretty, not too fat, has to be slim.
Yan An: Good looking.

Question 11: What romantic things you'll do when you have a boyfriend?
Liu Shiwen: I am not a very romantic person.
Ding Ning: He should decide.

Question 12: Presents?
Liu Shiwen: Something useful and can remind him of me.
Ding Ning: Its base on what he needs. 'lover rings' is a good idea.
Xu Xin: something meaningful.
Wu Yang: something like necklace.
Li Xiaodan: Hand-made presents.

Question 13: Smoke?
Ding Ning: Smoke is fine, but has a limit.
Li Xiaodan: It's okay.
Liu Shiwen: better not.
Xu Xin: Don't even need to mention, of course no!
Fang Bo: Of Course no.

Question 14: Can two be separated for a long time?
Liu Shiwen: Yes, I don't really 'stick' to people. Its fine even if we don't call each other. (on the cellphone/telephone)
Wu Yang: Yes, I think as a athlete, separate for a period of time is very normal. We can talk online or on the phone.

Question 15: Do you want to give him/her a surprise?
Liu Shiwen: Yes, but I still don't know how.
Ding Ning: Maybe in his birthday.
Xu Xin: I don't think there's any surprise since I'll say it out before I even start planning.
Yan An: If she likes it, then maybe on her birthday I'll give her a cake.

Question 16: If you have a girlfriend/boyfriend, what he/she did will cause you to break up with him/her immediately?
Liu Shiwen: Lie to me. (I think she means cheat on her)
Ding Ning: "Third person"
Li Xiaodan: Not sincere. Everyone might lie at some point, but at least don't let me know.
Wu Yang: Insincere or not trust me.
Xu Xin: Lie. (cheat)
Yan An: Betray. (cheat)

Question 17: Ideal type?
Liu Shiwen: has to be confident, cares me, can helps and understands me.
Ding Ning: Older, which seems more mature.
Li Xiaodan: Outgoing, older than me, advises me. Be enthusiastic, responsible, and nice to my friends and family.
Wu Yang: Outgoing, older than me, talkative.
Xu Xin: Listen to me, may have her own idea or point of view, but she has to be controllable. Good personality and nice to my family and friends.
Fang Bo: Good personality and outgoing.
Yan An: Good personality, and not get mad for not spending too much time with her since I have practices.

Question 18: What's your future wedding will be like?
Liu Shiwen: Something new. For example, have a wedding on the sea/ocean. I'll communicate with my boyfriend about that in the future.
Ding Ning: I want it to be more romantic, but since we already decided to get marry, my husband should be in charge of it. If he ask me, I'll say "Be more romantic and surprise, you decide. If I am not satisfy, I'll not marry you."
Wu Yang: Wedding on sea.
Li Xiaodan: A very very big party.
Xu Xin: Have fun with friends!
Yan An: A normal wedding, have a party with friends, family, and couches.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
lol oh yea, the chinese media were saying that liu shiwen and zhang jike are in a relationship since 2006 (around that time, i forgot), not sure if that's true. ( but one thing for sure, ZJK and LSW were once in a relationship at least. not sure right now.):)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hmmm interesting. Ding Ning is a lil introvert. She likes to leave all the decisions to her BF of husband. She doesn't mind if the husband is a smoker. Basically she likes to be taken care of...Who would have guessed that. And Xu Xin, he doesn't like girls who curses and swears a lot, but then again..who does. hehehe
And the ideal presents that Liu Shiwen would give to her BF is something useful....yup, a Ferarri would do nicely.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Hmmm interesting. Ding Ning is a lil introvert. She likes to leave all the decisions to her BF of husband. She doesn't mind if the husband is a smoker. Basically she likes to be taken care of...Who would have guessed that. And Xu Xin, he doesn't like girls who curses and swears a lot, but then again..who does. hehehe
And the ideal presents that Liu Shiwen would give to her BF is something useful....yup, a Ferarri would do nicely.

Funny how the ladies dont mind BF's smoking, but the guys really dont want their GF's to smoke :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
lol, smoking's crazy over here in china, your friends give u a cigarette every time you meet them specially they know you're smokers, even sometimes it's a way to make friends, they give cigarettes to people they just met, like tea friends, coffee friends etc... I don't smoke but got some packs from some friends...hahaha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011

Ferarri? Lol if her boyfriend is a tt player, it's not that useful I think. o_O

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
This is good stuff.

However this also reminds me of the darkside of relationship if it is INSIDE the team.
Hou Yingchao once get kicked out because he is in a relationship with a teammate, possibly the worst time in his career.

It was around 2004 Olympic, so yea... four people got kicked out because they were in a relationship which was 'disobeying' the rules. 2 girls were dating ma lin and wang hao, but only the girls got kicked out. ●︿● Fortunately, the chinese national team couches seem more humanity right now, they said they'll remain neutral as long as it didn't affect their practices. that's why wang hao is dating a teammate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Thanks for this very funny interview !
smiley-laughing002.gif

But this, bugs me a little bit :confused: :

[...]

Liu Shiwen: between 170cm -180cm, not too height, neither fat nor skinny, and not ugly.
Ding Ning: If to imagine, of course is someone handsome and tall. For more realistic, can't be fat, be white, and have 'attractive' characteristic.

[...]

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
nothign wrong with that. just her preference.
can'T say she is racist just because she likes white guys.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
smiley-laughing002.gif

But this, bugs me a little bit :confused: :

Some societies have racism stuck deeply in their bones... some really have old and outdated way of thinkin´ that the lighter the skintone, the better the person... But this is a worldwide stupidity. From europe to the americas to china to india and back to europe....
Quite sad that this is still existing. i´d like to eradicate this asap *smh*

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
smiley-laughing002.gif

But this, bugs me a little bit :confused:
---snip--- can't be fat, be white, and have 'attractive' characteristic: ---snip---

Ding Ning doesn't mean to say that she likes white guys as in Westerners, but that she likes guys with pale skin. Whiter or pale skin tones are considered beautiful in most Asian cultures. That's the reason why you'll see lots of Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean girls walking around with umbrellas on scorching days without a cloud in sight. They're not foolishly expecting a sudden downpour of rain, they're simply protecting themselves against the sun in order to not get a tan.

In general, to be tanned in Asia suggests that you have an outdoor job. In other words, you are probably less well off or less educated.
Pale skins implies an indoor job, i.e. it's a better job so the person is probably better educated and possibly wealthier.

In general, Europeans think suntans are attractive. To be tanned in Europe means that you look healthy (and therefore you are attractive). But it wasn't always like that. Up until the mid to late 70's the preferred look was also to be pale and whiter for the same reason as stated above.

However, it all changed with the emergence and boom in charter travel during the 70's. People flew to southern Europe, Spain and Greece, for their holidays. When they returned they were suntanned. A suntan no longer signalled that they had an outdoor job, it signalled that they could afford to fly abroad for the holidays.
And here we are now. A deep suntan has become a sign of wealth and health, as opposed to un-educated or poor. It's the exact opposite. Funny old world, isn't it? :)

Ding Ning's answer is not racist, just a beauty or fashion related preference.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Some societies have racism stuck deeply in their bones... some really have old and outdated way of thinkin´ that the lighter the skintone, the better the person... But this is a worldwide stupidity. From europe to the americas to china to india and back to europe....
Quite sad that this is still existing. i´d like to eradicate this asap *smh*

I think you're right that people thinking "the lighter the skintone the better the person" is rubbish and silly.. but keep in mind that that is probably not what she meant and you're taking it the wrong way.

It seems to be what she is attracted to which is completely subjective, just like quite a lot of middle eastern men are attracted to western white blonde girls. There are loads of these cases.