1.9 -> 2.1 or slightly faster blade

I know the subject has been debated endlessly; and i have read all the great threads; but i am still in doubt on the following.

I am 44 years old. I have played for 3 years after playing as a child (9-13 years old).

SETUP:
Donic Appelgreen Allplay
Coming from; same blade: (tenergy 25 fx 1.7 both sides (6 month) -> tenergy 05 fx 1.7, both sides (6 month)).

For the last 5 month, same blade:
FH Tenergy 05 (1.9)
BH Tenergy 80 (1.9)
Liking it a lot, BUT

some slight better opponents (who play with pretty fast gear) are not afraid of my consistent and spinny FH loops. Not like they are killing it; but they are winning comfortably. I usually do OK against better opponents.

Should I change to Tenergy 05 (2.1) in FH? (considering my slow/flexi blade and beginner-skill-level), or

should I move a little bit up on blade speed; if so; which blade would you recommend?

I follow the “slow blade, upgrade rubbers”; so I should naturally progress to 2.1; but I am wondering if something special/bad will happen when combining a slow/flexi blade with tenergy 2.1 (will it be drastically different than 1.9 compared to that shift on faster blades).

Also; what would be the next blade. In some of the threads; Tibhar Straatus Power Wood (8.9) are recommended; even though it is rated somewhat faster than both Stiga Clipper (8.5) and TBS (8.5) on tabletennisdb. I know the ratings are user-genereted; but still; is it really that off.. ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Those blades you mentioned are a lot faster. I‘d go with a Primo Off- or a Korbel (same plies but thicker)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also; what would be the next blade. In some of the threads; Tibhar Straatus Power Wood (8.9) are recommended; even though it is rated somewhat faster than both Stiga Clipper (8.5) and TBS (8.5) on tabletennisdb. I know the ratings are user-genereted; but still; is it really that off.. ?

The numbers are that off. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood is not as fast as a Clipper or a TBS and on average a Clipper is not quite as fast as a TBS. :)

2.1 should be fine. There is nothing wrong with 2.1 on that blade. If your loops are spinny the way you describe them then 2.1 is the right rubber.

I do think Primorac Off- is an intelligent next step from what you are using. The Korbel and the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood are very similar. Those two are about the same speed. Korbel is built stronger.

Reactions: Beep-Beep
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
+1 on OFF- wood blades
You would get a more powerful blade, but still having good feel/control with your previous allround

In a way 1.9mm should be good enough for most players with your max rubbers only for world top 200 or more (words from someone high up in one of my equipment vendors)