Gionis Panagiotis Interview

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
See the original content and other international player interviews at http://matthetherington.blogspot.com

Gionis the Greek God of Ping Pong

It was my pleasure to continue interviewing some of the sport's greatest players in Europe this week, one player who had caught my eye at the recent European Championships in Gdansk, Poland was Gionis Panagiotis of Greece. Gionis has a unique style and showed complete class in defeating Bastian Steger, one of Germany's finest players. Gionis was kind enough to do this interview with me, thanks Gionis!

Name: Gionis Panagiotis
Date of Birth: 07/01/1980
Nation Represented: Greece
Highest World Ranking: 36

gionis_24_02_08_Large.jpg

Gionis on defence
Image courtesy of ITTF

Equipment Used:
Blade: Butterfly OFF Korbel
FH Rubber: Tenergy 05 2.1
BH Rubber: Feint Long II 1.1

Career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when and how did you start?
I'm playing since 1989...and I started for fun in a small club near my house.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far?
That I really love it by myself!

What does your training schedule for a week period involve?
Monday Wednesday Friday 2 times practise 2.30 hours each and Tuesday Thursday one time 2.30 hours and sometimes weekend!

What is your next big goal for table tennis?
Olympic Games in London

What do you think is the most important thing in table tennis for becoming a successful player on the international stage?
Many hours of practise first and then physical, cleverness and good psychology!

You have an interesting style in that you chop on your backhand and switch between slow return and offensive play on your forehand. What inspired that style for you?
When I was young my coach said that I must be a defender because in attack I was not so good...but this style with attack in forehand I first try it 21 years old because I understood that for making a bigger step in my career I must be more aggressive player so I must attack more to compete with the top players...and I did it!

gionis_panagiotis_angers.jpg

Gionis in the Champions League
Image Courtesy of GV Hennebont TTC

Why do you think China currently dominate the sport?
Because they start very young and they have very good organisation for this sport. They work a lot for this and the coaches are top.

Do you think Greece has a strong future in European table tennis compared to other nations like France and Germany?
I think in Greece is not so easy like these countries because table tennis is amateur and the children first look to study and then to find the time for table tennis...but the federation and the coaches are trying a lot.

Off the topic Questions

Who's your favourite sportsperson of all time?
Lionel Messi

Favourite food?
Chicken

What do you do when you aren't playing table tennis?
Football on Playstation

Dream Car?
Ferarri

Ideal Holiday Destination?
Exotic Island

First thing you would do if you won $1million?
I buy one very nice house

Your Team Mates

Who's the funniest player in the training hall?
Leuteris Makras

Who trains the hardest in the training hall?
Kalinikos Kreanga

Who has the best nickname?
Tasos Riniotis (peroukas)

And Lastly

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspirational message for other table tennis players looking to succeed?
That if you want to reach a top level player only the talent is not enough...need a lot of work and many hours of practise!

Gionis defeats Bastian Steger in the Euro Team Quarterfinals

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome interview! Thanks Matt!

It's interesting that he didn't start to implement his forehand attack until 21! His forehand looks so good, like he has been doing it since a young kid!

Excellent stuff

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi Matt, just got enough time to read through the interview. nice one buddy. I never knew that this guy even existed in the tour. A real eye opener. He's a huge fella, isn't he? He dwarfed the table..I had to look around him to see where the ball landed on the table hehehe. Very spinny FH.
What do you think is the most important thing in table tennis for becoming a successful player on the international stage?
Many hours of practise first and then physical, cleverness and good psychology!

I like this because he highlighted wits and psychology. He was spot on there.

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I just said to Liam Pitchford if he beat Tiago Apolonia at Fifa then Tiago had to do an interview for me. Liam won 6-0 and asked for me. Got the contact so hopefully my next interview will be with Tiago Apolonia ;) that's how it's done folks

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I just said to Liam Pitchford if he beat Tiago Apolonia at Fifa then Tiago had to do an interview for me. Liam won 6-0 and asked for me. Got the contact so hopefully my next interview will be with Tiago Apolonia ;) that's how it's done folks

Haha that is awesome! Liam Pitchford is living the dream!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Haha you should train him at FIFA to play other top players as well ;) Looking forward to the interview!! Ur doing great work man :D

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Yea he is, I actually just sent him some new questions so I can write something about his new perch as English Number 1 and just asked him a bit about where his next pitstop is on the trail and how he felt about Euro champs etc. Hes a really neat guy, very approachable and willing to do all this stuff. And yea definitely Living the Dream!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
hurray to panagiotis ! i remember preparing with my other team mates for the national team qualifiers (junior) many many years ago , and his talent and skills where known all over greece's table tennis clubs . after i stopped playing for 10 years and started to play and watch TT matches again 3 months ago i never expected i would see him reach such a high level . he did a wise choice to pursue his career out side of greece because here TT isnt so popular . go gionis !