Nittaku SD ball

says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
Wonder what people think about this new Nittaku ball?

As for me, I got a couple of boxes just the other day and yesterday played with it a few matches at the tournament... so far quite like it, first it didn't broke (which is nice already ;) ), second it's feels lighter and harder than DHS D40+ and Nittaku Premium (which I mostly use), but not to the point of lightness of XSF/Kingnik/... type of balls, so overall I liked new SD ball (I don't like light weight balls, I don't "feel" them), it fells more "lively" than D40+, and not much worser than Nittaku Premium for me, but SD is much cheaper than Premium... but will see, It's been 1 day of play only, I may change my mind... also, from 2 boxes (3 balls in a box, so 6 balls) 1 ball is not round at all, others at least acceptable (need to test on more flat surface that I have at a moment), but I have a feeling that they all will not be as round as almost any Nittaku Premium ball is...

Reactions: thomas.pong

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
...second it's feels lighter and harder than DHS D40+ and Nittaku Premium (which I mostly use), but not to the point of lightness of XSF/Kingnik/... type of balls, so overall I liked new SD ball (I don't like light weight balls, I don't "feel" them)...

Isn't weight as well as diameter part of hard requirement from ITTF (and bounce height as well btw.)? I would understand that material differences make bounce and "feel" noticeable different but wight differences (if any) must be so small that you should never feel them in hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Isn't weight as well as diameter part of hard requirement from ITTF (and bounce height as well btw.)? I would understand that material differences make bounce and "feel" noticeable different but wight differences (if any) must be so small that you should never feel them in hand.

Unless they are reporting measurements from a calibrated scale, it is all subjective.

Reactions: suds79
says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
As far as I know it's just a relabelled DHS ball.
When I drop (at the same time, subjectively) D40+ and SD to the table from the height (same, subjectively) about 30 cm then SD bounce noticeably longer and higher, this is a basic test for me when comparing balls... It may be my mistake to mostly judge weight comparison with this test, but even then, no matter the cause, this test shows these balls will play differently...

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
When I drop (at the same time, subjectively) D40+ and SD to the table from the height (same, subjectively) about 30 cm then SD bounce noticeably longer and higher, this is a basic test for me when comparing balls... It may be my mistake to mostly judge weight comparison with this test, but even then, no matter the cause, this test shows these balls will play differently...

I use these 3 balls exclusively myself and agree with your observations. I personally feel like the Premium spins and flies the most, while the D40+ is heavier and faster. The SD feels the same as the D40+ and I suspect them to be the same ball from the start, however I did also notice that the SD bounces higher.

This user has no status.
I have noticed the Nittaku SD ball is marketed in Europe first. I have checked on some Japanese sites and U.S. sites and its not available yet. Maybe those markets are overstocked with older Nittaku stock is launching Europe first. Anybody see it on the asian sites or U.S. sites yet? I would like to order them to try.:)

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I have noticed the Nittaku SD ball is marketed in Europe first. I have checked on some Japanese sites and U.S. sites and its not available yet. Maybe those markets are overstocked with older Nittaku stock is launching Europe first. Anybody see it on the asian sites or U.S. sites yet? I would like to order them to try.:)

I think you're right. I ordered them from TableTennis11.com when I was still living in the US. I stumbled on them on that site and was surprised since I had never heard of them before. Expected them to be exactly like D40+, and they're just a bit bouncier. I also just ordered the Butterfly A40+ and should be receiving those soon. Also, Nittaku is going to release a ball called Nexcel at some point which is supposed to resemble the celluloid ball more closely.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Following that logic:
Since the NSD seems to replace the old N40+Sha I think it's quite likely that the Nexcel's gonna replace the NP40+ premium.

But take this with a grain of salt since it's just an assumption of mine....

That's what I'm thinking too. The NSD is a huge step up from the Sha, so let's hope the Nexcel will be a huge step up from what is currently still the best 40+ ball = Nittaku Premium. Seems like Nittaku's always been ahead of the "ball", and that other companies just follow suit months later.

Reactions: Suga D
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
When it comes to price & performance, I just don't see anything topping the DHS D40+ ball.

Particularly from Nittaku which historically has had some outrageous prices for their balls.

I agree. While the Nittaku Premium is still the best performance-wise (only marginally now), it's also crazy expensive at $3 a pop. I usually play with the D40+ which is a very good ball regardless of its 50 cents price tag, and half the price of the SD.

Reactions: suds79