Ovtcharov future Euro no.1?

ovtcha.jpg

timoboll8.365x265.jpg

Recent videos show Dima's big improvement for the past few months...

Do u think he can overtake Boll in the Euro rankings?

Do u think he has what it takes to be the next champ in the olympics?

ps: Pls set aside the hatred for his annoying grunts and ("gay") warcries (as people describe it).

He has just beaten Wang Hao!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I doubt Dima can the next 'Boll'. i think that people like quentin robinot, simon gauzy and tristan flore stand a good chance to be the next generation 'boll'.

I was also thinking that Bryce. France will have a good standing in the Euro ranks in a few years. I think in 4/5 years when Schlager, Samsonov and perhaps Boll have retired people like Dima and Mattenet will take top spots.

All depends on the improvements of the young players such as Simon and Quentin.

Lets not forget Englands Liam Pitchford to in this mix :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yea, not forgetting Pitchford's career win against samsonov. I hope that these people will pose a challenge to team China :D

Yeah I hope so to! Interesting win for Robinot against Ma Lin to! Have you seen the footage? I think it doesnt matter how bad Ma Lin was playing... Very impressive win from a European who is only 18

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

This user has no status.
No way I don't think Ovtcharov has it in the bag at all. The young french and german players are very promising, Gauzy, Robinot, Franziska etc I think Patrick Baum has a better shot at rising into Boll's shoes than Ovtcharov

Don't look down on Ovtcharov, he stretched Xu Xin to 2:2 recently and also during the 2011 World Championships, he was the 3rd player to get 2 sets off Zhang Jike besides WLQ and Wang Hao. His service is pretty lethal(even Ma Lin agreed to that), and his mid-range looping is extremely powerful, especially his BH and I would say that it is more powerful than Boll's looping in terms of his penetrating power(both BH and FH).

The only thing that lets him down is his horrible short game(non-existent FH push, weird looking half-long BH pushes which gives away too many free points to opponents). However, he does master that BH over-the-table loop pretty well(much better than the other Europeans IMO), but you can't do that for every single serve, and you need more variation in the receive. Also he has a bad habit of trying to kill the ball(getting out of position and balance), even when the opportunity doesn't look that good, which causes him to make a lot of unforced errors.

In essence, when he learns to incorporate finesse in his game, that is when he is going to really shine. Zhang Jike used to have this problem too, being impatient on points and trying to loop-kill every single shot(back in 2008-2009), and as a result didn't do very well. It was when he started seriously cutting down on power and focus on finesse(his coach always asks him to resist the opportunity to kill the ball, focusing on consistency instead in his reportage). Now when he plays, he doesn't loop-kill every ball but works very hard to get the opponent out of position, and he only kills the ball when there is a room for error, or when he is on fire. As a result, he makes extremely few mistakes and puts a lot of pressure on his opponent, who often makes more mistakes than he does.

In this respect(finesse), Timo Boll is so much better, very consistent, very few unforced errors. If only Timo could have Ovtcharov's power and Ovtcharov could have Timo's finesse in their game, the Germans would be on par with the Chinese now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I doubt that there will be anyone in the near future who will reach Boll's level and be as much of a threat to the Chinese as he is.
It takes a whole lot of talent and the right background conditions (family, practice) to become as good as Timo has.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
To me, it looks like Dima still needs alots of improvement. Especially he really has some hard time when playing with defensive player. But overall, it might due to that there is not much variety style of training parter available across europe right now

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I see Alexander Shibaev having more potential in his game than Dima. Yes, Dima took Xu Xin to the last set, but I honestly think Xu Xin has been really disappointing as of late. He is in the process of being left behind. He showed a lot of potential in a while back, and does have a high ceiling, but for some reason, most likely attitude issues and the lack of a strong drive to succeed, he hasn't really even come close to the success of his two young colleagues Ma Long and ZJK.

It will take a long long time for Dima's game to overcome Boll's. I agree with david, Boll's talent among the Europeans is pretty rare. After the Waldner era, Boll, Schlager, and Samsonov have really been the only ones who have been able to have some degree of success against the Chinese. I think Dima's recent games against Mizutani have shown that his improvements haven't really been that great. In fact his games against Mizutani have been getting more lopsided I feel.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Don't look down on Ovtcharov

I'm not looking down on him. When I say he doesn't have it in the bag I just mean number 1 in Europe. Ovtcharov is a great player, but I just don't personally see him being the top player in Europe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I don't think Ovcharov has it. He has his special serves and a good backhand, but that is not enough I would hope. All in all he has his limits, he often outplaces himself because he makes the choice to go for a BH-winner from any position and his pushing technique is the most horrible I've ever seen. If he wants to be the best, he maybe should change his playing style. I still think that names mentioned here have a better shot at taking over the no. 1 spot. Those are all promising guys who can improve, while Dima is probably on top of his game at the moment. At the moment he still beats them though.

And @ blahness, he didn't play Zhang Jike at the WTTC ;) He took 2 games off Boll, who later got crushed by Zhang Jike.

This user has no status.
I don't think Ovcharov has it. He has his special serves and a good backhand, but that is not enough I would hope. All in all he has his limits, he often outplaces himself because he makes the choice to go for a BH-winner from any position and his pushing technique is the most horrible I've ever seen. If he wants to be the best, he maybe should change his playing style. I still think that names mentioned here have a better shot at taking over the no. 1 spot. Those are all promising guys who can improve, while Dima is probably on top of his game at the moment. At the moment he still beats them though.

And @ blahness, he didn't play Zhang Jike at the WTTC ;) He took 2 games off Boll, who later got crushed by Zhang Jike.

Oops it's the World Cup not the WTTC .... lol at my mistake... I agree about him having a horrible pushing technique