Best angle to record training?

Hello, I hope with the beginning of the new year I could make some massive improvements with table tennis. With this in mind, I was wondering what the best angle to record training/practice matches would be and the best angle for observing competitive matches? I don’t know if there’s a specific angle that would be preferred or if there is an angle that can be observed easiest to watch for errors, so maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Forgot to mention I’m left-handed, but it’ll basically be the inverse of that I guess. Thanks for the reference.

If you are lefty and you are on the far side, the basic angle that Wetwork_Orange posted should be ideal. If you are on the near side, the inverse of the angle will work. But if you are on the far side of the table and try the inverse angle, you will see a lot of your opponent's back.

But, play around. Try the same angle as shown here. And try the angle from the righty's BH side and see what you think.

You are not going to get the camera filming from as high above as in Wetwork's example. But from the left or right corner's of the table across, like in that video should work well enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I think it depends on the focus of the training. For example, when I practice forehand, I mostly film from behind so that I can see my backswing well. If I practice backhand, I film from the side and sometimes front. If I practice over the table skills (like flick), I place the camera in front.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The diagonal angle is definitely the best for showing games. For training strokes I think a side angle from the FH side is best for watch strokes and timing. Perhaps watching from the BH side is good for watching the BH but watching from the FH side should be good enough.

I common error I see is reaching for the ball instead of moving forward or simply waiting for it to come closer.
Another error I see is not keeping the attitude of the paddle constant during the period the ball may hit the paddle.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Since it's practice, consider using more than one camera.
Cameras/phones and tripods are pretty cheap these days. So one camera for overall view plus another for viewing just one player close-up from a frontal angle. You might even have a 3rd for looking down the short side in order to view/analyse serve action.
Just make sure that you involve the other players by giving them copies of the video. It's one way to encourage them to practise with you.

This user has no status.
Hello, I hope with the beginning of the new year I could make some massive improvements with table tennis. With this in mind, I was wondering what the best angle to record training/practice matches would be and the best angle for observing competitive matches? I don’t know if there’s a specific angle that would be preferred or if there is an angle that can be observed easiest to watch for errors, so maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks.

Good luck with the training :)
I am also planning to do a lot of multiball (just ordered 102 plastic balls) and film my training to try and get quick and noticeable results. Was also wondering this same thing.

The one thing I can't decide on (with only 1 camera) is whether or not to film from side and not see the end result of the shot, or film more diagonal to see the end result but might not be the best to see errors? I don't have a lot of space on my phone so I can't really film both in 1 session.