New setup suggestions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Hi I am looking for new setup for this year. My current setup last year was H3N on FH and Mark V on BH both max sponges. I would preferably like a more spinnier setup which has descent control as well. I have a slow flexible blade Dawei Genote all wood blade to go along. Thanks in advance.

What is your level? How many hours do you play per week?
which is your playing style?
Where do you need more spin, Fh or Bh?
Do you prefer Chinese or European rubbers in Fh?
Are you comfortable with your wood, is it according to your style?

I ask this for the following, a lot depends on the technique of the player, H3N is a rubber with a lot of spin if you know how to use it, I'm surprised you want something with more spin, however in the Bh I could suggest some alternatives: BlueStorm Z3, Z1 , EL-S, MX-P, Rasant, Rasanter, Gold Arc 8; even in the blade maybe something stronger like a Dhs Fang Bo Carbon etc. However before going through these configurations, I emphasize that it is very important to know the technique, the experience, and the style of the game.
Maybe the Mark V is enough and the technique does not, maybe you need something with more spin but with a level below a Z3, Z1, MX-P, maybe a Hexer Duro, Xiom Vega etc. We need more information

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
I have a 1500 usatt rating and play couple of hours every week and have a descent all round game. I am open to more spin on both FH and BH. I like european style rubber on my BH and open for either on FH. I am comfortable with the wood its All round and its flexible.

What is your level? How many hours do you play per week?
which is your playing style?
Where do you need more spin, Fh or Bh?
Do you prefer Chinese or European rubbers in Fh?
Are you comfortable with your wood, is it according to your style?

I ask this for the following, a lot depends on the technique of the player, H3N is a rubber with a lot of spin if you know how to use it, I'm surprised you want something with more spin, however in the Bh I could suggest some alternatives: BlueStorm Z3, Z1 , EL-S, MX-P, Rasant, Rasanter, Gold Arc 8; even in the blade maybe something stronger like a Dhs Fang Bo Carbon etc. However before going through these configurations, I emphasize that it is very important to know the technique, the experience, and the style of the game.
Maybe the Mark V is enough and the technique does not, maybe you need something with more spin but with a level below a Z3, Z1, MX-P, maybe a Hexer Duro, Xiom Vega etc. We need more information

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I have a 1500 usatt rating and play couple of hours every week and have a descent all round game. I am open to more spin on both FH and BH. I like european style rubber on my BH and open for either on FH. I am comfortable with the wood its All round and its flexible.

If you don’t mind the labor, lots of people report increased spin performance from boosting H3N. Have you tried that? I’ve only used Falco long, which is good, but softens the sponge a ton. If I were to boost again I’d give Lidu yellow a shot based on the many reviews I’ve read on forums.

More generally I agree with Ivan that spin with the H3N should be very high given proper technique. Aspects of spin performance can be tweaked with gear, but at the end of the day spin is much more about technique than gear. That makes it hard to give you helpful advice. E.g. many players still have trouble getting high spin out of Tenergy 05, and there is little doubt that if nothing is broken T05 is a very spinny rubber.

One thing I’d suggest - take this with a gain of salt, I’m not very experienced myself: you might find it easier to track progress in your spinning technique by using much more similar rubbers on Bh and Fh. That’s because improvement in technique rarely happens on both wings at the same time. Using more similar rubbers on both sides, it should be easier to use improvements in your technique on one side to guide your learning on the other wing.

Some rubbers you could try on both sides. (There are many more.) For the money Vega pro is a nice ESN option IMO. You could consider it on both sides (max sponge) until you identify more specific needs other rubbers might be more suited for.

If budget is no issue there are many more options. I’m loving Nexy Karis as a very predictable, spin as much as your technique allows option. I haven’t tried it myself, but in that vein Tibhar MX-S might be a good option from a more mainstream brand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Wait, is the genotte the 7 ply Dawei?

If so the blade might be hindering your development for spin technique. A flexy, 5 ply all wood blade would probably be an important step.

If you’re not sure, and money is a consideration, you could consider a Yinhe W-6, which go for about $18 (USD) on AliExpress. Yinhe 896 can be found for a similar amount even from us suppliers. Otherwise there are tons of options that often get recommended on here and elsewhere: Stiga Allround Classic, Yasaka Sweden Extra, Xiom Allround S, etc etc. If you want something special but still well priced (around 50 USD), you could perhaps consider the BBC Allround - custom, hand made by Charlie himself in California, flexy 5 ply allwood. I haven’t tried it, and you won’t find many reviews online. But if it’s half as good as the BBC flashdrive I use - faster, harder blade that uses the same wood core as the Allround - it should be worth every penny. And Charlie will be able to advise you..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Ok it looks like the one I am using is a quattro F 7 ply with 2 fine layers of fiberglass. However I feel some vibration after I usually hit with it. Doesn't that mean it is flexible? I used to use dawei-genote-quattro-x before however it lacked speed and most would return my smashes so I upgraded to this one. Its hard to tell if the spin capability reduced or increased between the 2 blades. It definitely is harder to pick incoming spin with H3N on my FH with the quattro F.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
I have Sanwei M8 and Huaruite Clipper as spares. Are any of these softer? Sounds like H3N is a keep. I am keen on changing my BH rubber however something that has a catapult since I cannot generate a lot of power from BH. Is T05 suggested for BH?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
The HRT clipper is not a flexy blade either IMO. Based on the issue you describe it seems very much worth looking for a blade that actually fits your needs.

As for speed on smashes: do you mean on forehand? If so, it’s no surprise. The H3N (tacky rubbers more generally) is quite bad for smashing; for your smashes to feel slow with it on any blade doesn’t mean the blade is too slow for your needs. Afaik, if you rely on Fh smash a lot you should seriously consider moving away from tacky rubbers.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Dude could learn to spin the ball with any of those blades mentioned and a control rubber or modern allround rubber no problem... isn't his blade holding the shazam back any.

If anyone is a smash fan, ask TTD forum member Smashfan... he would quickly say... one has only a tiny margin for error on smashes and fast hits. Making heavy spin is not a consideration nor is a stroke optimized for that.

Some blades are better for counterhitting close to table, usually the slower blades, they let you hit harder on counters and still land it... flat out smashes vs a low energy ball obviously work better with a faster blade... so some optimizing of equipment once player commits to a hitting style game is in order.

Until then, middle of the road gives one the flexibility to learn all strokes and move on from there. Problem is, Der_Echte and pundits never agree exactly on what middle of the road is. It can be a real wide range of combinations I say.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Try Xiom Vega Pro.
Anyone who used that can't help smiling when it's mentioned and wonder why they're not using it right now :)
I should be a xiom salesman.