Officially joined the dark side

This user has no status.
I have been fighting it ever since the coach at my club told me to change styles 6months into TT.

But I'm older now and YouTube has got me too hyped up so I have officially committed to long pips for a chopping orientated BH and boy am I glad I did.
Went to the centre to do some training with my friend with our 100 training balls but this time I used my Stiga ALL classic with Dawei 388D OX.
I cannot stress how much fun I had playing and how natural it felt to use them. I also had a go on my friends VKM with Feint long 3 1mm.
You know when you are playing certain shots and get such a buzz doing it that you want to do it more and more....yeah...thats what I have been missing with my BH.

Anyway all that aside (sorry for the story lol) I have another Stiga ALL and got Tibhar D-Tecs OX coming for a weekend of fun playing against people of all skill lvls. I have a feeling I will prefer the Dtecs but we shall see.
I also have a clipper....I am tempted to try the Dtecs on there also but not sure if it will be a waste of time and a glue sheet.

If there is any general advice/tips someone can give me on these 2 pips and also shed some light on the TSP Curl P1R that would be great. Also the Victas blades VKM and VKMO.

I will be easing myself into pips for quite a while before I look into using sponge or changing blades to the VKMO or VKM (might not even bother with the blade though). Or would you say those blades would make quite a big difference and should think about using them sooner rather than later?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Welcome to the dark side!

Now, go visit OOAK forum if you have not done so already, most of pip/anti players seem to hang out there.

Don't have deep advice to offer on pips/blade selection - they have their own subtleties, but in the end not that different. I'm pretty sure you'll end up trying most of them anyway :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Welcome to the dark side!

Now, go visit OOAK forum if you have not done so already, most of pip/anti player seem to hang out there.

Don't have deep advice to offer on pips/blade selection - they have their own subtleties, but in the end not that different. I'm pretty sure you'll end up trying most of them anyway :D

haha thanks. Nah I won't be Ejing (at least not too much lol). I will like the Dtecs I think as I have read a lot about them, only asking about the PR1 because also read a lot about them. Those 2 blades are the only ones I will consider changing too also :D

Although I don't have an account on that forum I have searched a fair bit and read a lot on there. I will look to post and ask how the speed of these 2 blades compared to the Stiga ALL classic and clipper

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
and here i thought you coverted to PH lol

enjoy and have fun Sir!

EDIT: you mentioned getting older ... at my club, there is a member who is the 2nd or 3rd oldest member... 81 or so! I have seen him play 30+ yrs ago, then i took the 30 yrs, started playing again about 3 yrs ago - he's still playing! he's a chopper and i believe he uses LP both sides!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
thats what you call 81 and chopping !!! wow !
and here i thought you coverted to PH lol

enjoy and have fun Sir!

EDIT: you mentioned getting older ... at my club, there is a member who is the 2nd or 3rd oldest member... 81 or so! I have seen him play 30+ yrs ago, then i took the 30 yrs, started playing again about 3 yrs ago - he's still playing! he's a chopper and i believe he uses LP both sides!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You should definitely capture it on video and share with us , what an inspiration !
In the 1980's he was 2000+, he is still a steady chopper now, last year, had an operation in his knees or hips, but he's back. It is amazing to watch him gracefully and effortlessly chop these 150% power shots!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Your set up is almost like mine. I use an all+ 5 ply custom blade with Yasaka Soft 7 and OX 388D on the BH. I have tried different rubbers/blade combo's for many years and I finally settled on this combo. It is easy to block, chop, short block and FH attack when needed. I think you should have a partner who is willing to practice with you to improve the consistency as this LP requires a lot of control and not much margin for mistakes. And # 1 thing is to be patient regardless of what people tell you whether they love or hate play against it.

This user has no status.
Your set up is almost like mine. I use an all+ 5 ply custom blade with Yasaka Soft 7 and OX 388D on the BH. I have tried different rubbers/blade combo's for many years and I finally settled on this combo. It is easy to block, chop, short block and FH attack when needed. I think you should have a partner who is willing to practice with you to improve the consistency as this LP requires a lot of control and not much margin for mistakes. And # 1 thing is to be patient regardless of what people tell you whether they love or hate play against it.

I found these long pips pretty nice compared to C8 and another one I tried briefly on other peoples bats.
The 388D OX were good for me but again as we all know this was just practise through drills and also multiball and very different in match play. This weekend will be almost all match play against some higher lvl players and some are very strong local league premier div. So this will be a good time to judge where I'm at.
I did try my friends VKM with FL3 1mm and that definitely felt easier than the 388D OX but I don't know if thats because of the blade or the pips or even the sponge.
I will also get the opportunity to try Dtecs if they arrive today. Will report back maybe on Sunday night

Last edited: