PDA

View Full Version : Who's right? Fan Zhendong or Kristian Karlsson?

TableTennisDaily
01-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Today Fan Zhendong met Kristian Karlsson in the Hungarian Open (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?16882-Hungarian-Open-2018) and this point took place below...

Who's right here, Fan Zhendong or Kristian Karlsson? Fan Zhendong is claiming the ball bounced twice....?

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FITTFWorld%2Fvideos%2F2061131197250206%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

TTFrenzy
01-20-2018, 12:55 PM
twice on the table after the serve? or twice in karlsson's paddle? if its the latter then with the new rule the play is continuing normally if I remember correctly

Xylit
01-20-2018, 03:33 PM
No one knows as the camera angle ist crap and the replay starts too late.

TTHopeful
01-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Does anyone have a dif camera angle? Private recording?

ronz91
01-20-2018, 03:52 PM

Atas Newton
01-20-2018, 03:56 PM
twice on the table after the serve? or twice in karlsson's paddle? if its the latter then with the new rule the play is continuing normally if I remember correctly
there's a rule that allows you to hit the ball twice? There was a replay later on from FZD's perspective more or less, Karlsson's racket was very close to the ball, but the ball's rotation didn't change at all. Its path however appeared to bend very very slightly.

RidTheKid
01-20-2018, 04:06 PM
I know of no such rule. I'd be interested to know more about this rule in that case. Anyone?

there's a rule that allows you to hit the ball twice? There was a replay later on from FZD's perspective more or less, Karlsson's racket was very close to the ball, but the ball's rotation didn't change at all. Its path however appeared to bend very very slightly.

thomas.pong
01-20-2018, 04:29 PM
I'd like to see a better camera angle at the right time. I have a feeling FZD is right. I like both players reaction here and FZD's English.

Xylit
01-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Hitting the ball twice is allowed if it is not done deliberately. If the ball touches your finger first and then the racket that is a legal double hit for example.

talbon
01-21-2018, 01:10 AM
Both players agree on whatever happens. No one is wrong. No drama, thread title's a bit confusing ;0.

42andbackpains
01-21-2018, 04:20 AM
I know this rule since i am a club umpire. If the ball has a double bounce on your racket. As long as the ball is hit below the wrist and you are doing one continuous motion. The hit is still considered as legal and in play. I first thought this was a weird rule, but thats how it goes. :confused: So Karlson probably knew the rule and FZD didn't.

Der_Echte
01-21-2018, 05:10 AM
I got called for a double hit at US Open in the U2000C semis on a ball I hit that was a solid hit haha... I didn't want to make a scene and storm off to the referee, I let it slide. It was early in the game and I ended up winning that game anyway.

Atas Newton
01-21-2018, 06:03 AM
I know this rule since i am a club umpire. If the ball has a double bounce on your racket. As long as the ball is hit below the wrist and you are doing one continuous motion. The hit is still considered as legal and in play. I first thought this was a weird rule, but thats how it goes. :confused: So Karlson probably knew the rule and FZD didn't.
the alleged double hit wasn't made in a single motion, the first contact was during the backhand flick over the table, the second one is what you see on the OP's replay. Here's a better replay:
https://youtu.be/q5NO5XUDLAg?t=1363

42andbackpains
01-21-2018, 02:03 PM
the alleged double hit wasn't made in a single motion, the first contact was during the backhand flick over the table, the second one is what you see on the OP's replay. Here's a better replay:
https://youtu.be/q5NO5XUDLAg?t=1363

Now that i see this new angle, Yes then the point definitely goes to FZD. Thanks for clearing it up.:D

Der_Echte
01-21-2018, 04:00 PM
A player strikes the ball if he or she touches it in play with his or her racket, held
in the hand, or with his or her racket hand below the wrist.

if an opponent deliberately strikes the ball twice in succession;

The quotes include the ITTF rules verbage regarding a double hit.

TableTennisDaily
01-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Other angle via Ma Short TT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=ZI5bMiXMJRQ

Xylit
01-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Does not look like he hit the ball twice.

fireflies
01-23-2018, 01:41 PM
He missed the ball at first shot, but he did not contact the ball. So I think this is legal. No rule restricts players to make 2 shots. It will be illegal if he contacts the ball twice.

Suga D
01-23-2018, 02:04 PM
Other angle via Ma Short TT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=ZI5bMiXMJRQ

Whoa! Fan Zhendong a cheater? Just look at that smirk at 0:14 min after he turns away from Karlsson. :(
Didn´t expect him to find the necessity to do that...
[Emoji6]
Damn, these Jedi Mind tricks, again...
However, fantastic reaction by both.

chuckjordan2
01-23-2018, 07:58 PM
So what did the Umpire/Referee call ? Anything?

Just replay the serve, and afterwards go share a beer. Make the Umpire/Referee buy the first round.

Problem solved.

perham
01-28-2018, 02:59 PM
I’m more impressed with FZD’s block after the returned attack. Man, he has some cat-like reflexes. Notice how fast he gets back into position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bodyjohn
10-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Yeah, touching the ball twice in one shot is not allowed, however, they can attempt 2 shots but once the ball is touched with the racket then it is illegal to touch it again to jump off of the court.

He missed the ball at first shot, but he did not contact the ball. So I think this is legal. No rule restricts players to make 2 shots. It will be illegal if he contacts the ball twice.

LordPippington
10-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Attempting two shots isn't a big deal, is it? I see that here and there when people fake slam high lobs, then drop them short.

It doesn't look like kristian hit the ball two times, but the point was played out fully anyway. Fan only complained after the point finished, didn't he? Somebody make grunt noises, then karlsson puts his arms out? Were those Fan's celebration sounds that confused kristian?

tropical
10-19-2018, 08:02 PM
It sure looks like Kristian hit it twice. Look at the ball trajectory. FZD served to Kristian back hand but the ball later ended up on Kristian forehand side.

bircham boi
10-20-2018, 12:17 AM
Just replay the serve, and afterwards go share a beer. Make the Umpire/Referee buy the first round.

Problem solved.No need to replay anything. The point was played out and FZD won it. End of story.

chuckjordan2
10-20-2018, 12:33 AM
Yes, the story ended in January 2018. Almost 9 months ago. What raises this thread?

I stick by my story; the players and umpire grab a beer.