World Championship of Ping Pong 2018

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
World Championship of Ping Pong, 27-28th January 2018, Alexandra Palace, London, England

It's that time again guys! The World Ping Pong Championships returns this weekend at the Alexandra Palace in London. For those that don't know it's a variation of hard bat table tennis, played with blue sandpaper bats. This years prize fund is £100,000 with the winner receiving £20,000 and the runner up receiving £10,000.

YanWeihao2017champ.jpg

2017 Champion Yan Weihao

This year marks the 6th year of the championships which is set to be the biggest yet. There have only been 3 winners of the event which include Maxim Shmyrev, Andrew Baggley and Yan Weihao. Of course there will be plenty of new and old faces looking to spoil the party including the likes of Alexander Flemming, Gavin Rumgay, Lubomir PIstej, Chris Doran and many other contenders in what promises to be another exciting, action packed event.

Full news on the World Ping Pong Championship Website.

Prize Fund

The $100,000 prize fund

Winner - $20,000
Runner up - $10,000
Semi finalist - $5,000
Quarter finalist - $3,000
Last 16 - $2,000
Last 32 - $1,500
One win - $500

There are 64 qualified ping pong players from all around the world both men and women who compete for a incredible $100,000 prize pot! Who do you think will win and who are you looking forward to watching?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
World Championship of Ping Pong, 27-28th January 2018, Alexandra Palace, London, England

It's that time again guys! The World Ping Pong Championships returns this weekend at the Alexandra Palace in London. For those that don't know it's a variation of hard bat table tennis, played with blue sandpaper bats. This years prize fund is £100,000 with the winner receiving £20,000 and the runner up receiving £10,000.

cache.php

2017 Champion Yan Weihao

This year marks the 6th year of the championships which is set to be the biggest yet. There have only been 3 winners of the event which include Maxim Shmyrev, Andrew Baggley and Yan Weihao. Of course there will be plenty of new and old faces looking to spoil the party including the likes of Alexander Flemming, Gavin Rumgay, Lubomir PIstej, Chris Doran and many other contenders in what promises to be another exciting, action packed event.

Full news on the World Ping Pong Championship Website.

Prize Fund

The $100,000 prize fund

Winner - $20,000
Runner up - $10,000
Semi finalist - $5,000
Quarter finalist - $3,000
Last 16 - $2,000
Last 32 - $1,500
One win - $500

There are 64 qualified ping pong players from all around the world both men and women who compete for a incredible $100,000 prize pot! Who do you think will win and who are you looking forward to watching?

I don't know whether he'll win or not, but I'm definitely looking forward to watching Chris Doran. He is a masterful exponent of classic all-round table tennis (or ping pong--who cares), and the immortals in Hard Rubber Heaven (is there a Sandpaper Heaven? could be) are looking down, smiling, and saying to themselves "he's one of ours."

He's old school--he can chop, he can drive, he can rally, he simply puts his service into play, and he can counterpunch from mid-distance off of both wings.

And, wonder of wonders, he can do all of this without having to spend and arm and a leg, both ears and the tail for a racket and a factory boosted rubber further liberally garnished with the latest greatest boosting oil now that Tip-Top, Vulcofux, Camel, and Spinny Top are no longer an option.

Reactions: TTHopeful
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

NDH

says Spin to win!
I watched most of this over the weekend, and would love some opinions from others who saw it (especially any Chinese people).

My take outs are:

1. The best performance by a mile was Chris Doran against Andre Baggaley in the Quarters - Probably the best match of "Ping Pong" I've seen.

2. The Chinese really looked like they didn't care that much - Especially when playing another Chinese player.

3. The final looked..... dare I say it..... "pre arranged"?? I would hate to think that, but it sure looked that way.

4. With fatigue being such a factor in both the semi's and final.... Perhaps they should allow more recovery time in between matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
YEEHAW!!!!

The 2018 WCPP, my fellow wolfhounds, was pong at its pingiest, with looae grip serving, old school forehand and backhand serving, counterdriving, topspinnng from mid-distance, blocking, chopping, classic single-sided penholding (roll over Ogimura, and tell Jiang Jialiang and Old School Penholder the news), even rallying and all done acoustically with the very same rackets and without resort to fancy pants expensive rubbers, overpriced messy boosting oils, big bucks carbon, arylate, titanium, beryllium or strontium-90 composite blades. Amazing. How did those guys do that? Could it be that they have some seriously serious skillz?

Last edited: