Replacement for Butterfly Liu Shiwen Blade

says yes, I did thanks. I've just sent an email with the...
says yes, I did thanks. I've just sent an email with the...
Aug 2017
Short version: what do I replace this very good blade with?

I’m currently playing with the Butterfly Liu Shiwen blade with MX-P on both sides. I really like this set up and it suits a lot of my game and the feeling is great. My only real issue is the way in which power is delivered.

The blade has great dwell time but this can mean that its hard to generate speed, especially on slow and mid speed loops. The dwell can also sometimes be an issue when counter looping far from the table but this does not happen too often and seem to cause more issues on the forehand than the backhand. When playing mid-fast or fast shots the blade generates power beautifully.

So I’m looking for something with similar feeling and speed to the Liu Shiwen but perhaps a material or wood that produces power a little more linearly at medium speeds. Are there any blades with ZLF closer to the outside ply of the blade or any blades with a similar material construction to the Liu Shiwen but with a harder/more springy composite material?

Anyone else played with Liu Shiwen, what did you change to?

I’ve tried some allwood blades like the Simon Gauzy Quest OFF which is a good blade but confirmed to me that I would prefer some type of composite material blade.

I previously played with Michael Maze, Samsonov Force Pro and have recently been experimenting with the Ovtcharov True Carbon. My style is 2 wing attacker relatively close to the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Short version: what do I replace this very good blade with?

Well, as you said yourself, the ZLF fibres are on the core (Innerforce).
You could try other ZLF blades where that is not the case (Boll ZLF).

Perhaps this will help:

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-Liu-Shiwen-Fukuhara-AI-PRO-ZLF-Timo-Boll-ZLF

And you might want to inspect ZLC blades - Apolonia played the Liu Shiwen when he was with Tibhar and now has his signature Butterfly blade, although he is said to have switched (tried?) an ALC construction.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I think the Apolonia ZLC/Innerforce ZLC (they are the same blade, just different design) or the Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Outer would be good blades for you to try. Or perhaps the Timo Boll ZLF, but I haven't tried that one so I can't really say.

The Ovtcharov True Carbon could be good for you too, it's a great blade. I would continue to experiment with that one with MX-P on both sides for a few weeks before trying anything else.