Lay Jian Fang

This user has no status.
Has anyone heard of this Australian player? I just watched a few matches on ITTV and absolutely like to watch her style. She's a really tricky penhold player, reminds me of He Zhi Wen but has even more variety. Lots of chop-blocks(that land so short!!!!!), side-spin blocks, fast blocks, nasty changes of pace and direction. Love her fast attack FH as well, so nasty on her placements. Looking at the way she destroyed her opponents is such a joy, so effortless and so much variation!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
She sounds like a joy to watch. Personally, I've never heard of her. It would be nice if someone can share her video with us all.

I've never heard of her too. But Australia made it through the first round, so I guess we'll see her play today again?

Edit: She was playing, I just saw the last two points :p She lost to Petra Lovas.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
She's a great player. I went to the Australian Open this year and saw her in action in the teams but unfortunately she injured herself in the mixed doubles final and had to withdraw from the singles. She is awesome at bat flipping between her long pips and normal rub, very skillful, very experienced and VERY difficult to play against.
Here is her 2009 australian open final which she wins against Miao Miao (1994 European Youth Champion and also Polish National Womens Champion before moving to Australia). Interestingly enough on the side Fang Lay was the only player in Oceania to beat Li Chunli who was the 2000 Commonwealth Games Gold Medalist (from New Zealand) who beat Li Jiawei in the final and was also a world cup quarterfinalist ranked around 40th in the world about a decade ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
My inspiration

I love her style. She inspires me. Twiddling is my game. Last time i was using 2 inverted rubber on both sides. But due to lack of footwork steps , i change my style to play twiddling and close to table. It really suits me and i have beaten a player with high ranking than me in my club.

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
She has the same style as Ni Xia Lian of Luxembourg.

Yes but Xia Lian doesn't flip anywhere near as much as Fang Lay, Fang Lay flips all the time during rallies and even as she tosses up the ball to serve, constant variation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Yes but Xia Lian doesn't flip anywhere near as much as Fang Lay, Fang Lay flips all the time during rallies and even as she tosses up the ball to serve, constant variation

True, Fang Lay is much more aggresive player. Love the way she push with her backhand, very fast and consistent