W968 curious

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
i also use battle 2 black and Victas v15 extra 2.0 love them rubbers

Since you already have the Liu Shiwen you most likely know that it is an Innerforce-type-construction (the zylon fibre is placed directly on the core ply - no carbon involved!). The W968 is also an Innerforce-type-construction, albeit it uses Arylate-Carbon and according to most reviews it is a very fast blade, probably a lot faster than the Liu Shiwen. According to prott the K161 is close to the Viscaria (composite material directly under the top ply) although it uses Limba as the top ply instead of Koto. So both of these blades are not exactly close to the Liu Shiwen. You might want to look at the Butterfly Apolonia ZLC instaed. The man himself used the Liu Shiwen before he got his signature blade which has a little more kick to it due to the additional carbon being used, although I think that I recently read that he switched to an ALC blade recently...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
E
Hello table tennis daily
iv been looking for a more powerful blade then my Liu shiwen Blade
so iv been thinking of getting the DHS W968 Pro version or the K161 National version whats the difference between them?
iv been also reading chen chen maybe has the knowledge ?
Welcome to the site. The W968 is definitely more faster than the LSW blade. Both blade are inner fiber ones with outer limba. The K161 is a Viscaria clone or more a m.maze one because it also has outer limba, but it has outer fibers making the blade more stiff.

Reactions: ttmonster
Regarding touch games, w968 is nothing fast. It's soft with a woody feeling.

When you try to stroke or loop, that comes in the power of w968.

When using Liu Shiwen, you are more in to loop, spin, trying to get more rally, trying to be consistent, or fast near table block. Win the point when opponent make mistake.

When using w968, the loop quality is much higher and faster. Sometimes just win the point by one FH shot. Even in backhand rally, the moment you can use a full swing FH shot, it will be the winning shot.

K161 is a outter carbon blade. As Jimbob MacInbred mentioned before, it is similar structure as Viscaria but change the outter ply from koto (Viscaria) to Limba (K161). It's like a FH enhanced version of Viscaria, but sacrifice a little bit BH.
One of the common comment about Viscaria is it has very comfortable BH, because of it's Koto ply and outter ALC, it makes BH very fast and powerful. But Viscaria's forehand is a bit problem. Same, because of it's koto + outter alc, the dwell time for FH topspin is a bit shot. It is a bit hard to put enough power and spin to the ball.

K161 is trying to solve this problem. It changed the koto to limba to increase dwell time. Good for forehand, but at the same time, backhand is slowed a bit.

Anyway K161 is a outter ply blade, the feeling is different from Liu Shiwen and W968. If you more into spin game and FH game, try W968.

If you win point more with BH, you can try K161.

Reactions: RidTheKid
Cheers awesome guys yeah im a forehand type player all or nothing in away, i have used the viscaria and sold it . yeah i liked the backhand but the forehand was terrible . so how is the dwell time on the w968? coz i think ill get the Pro version sounds like the blade for me

The dwell time on W968 is good. It feels like a spring. The national version of 968 with 161mm head size is even better in FH dwell time but a bit softer and slow BH. If you don't have national team level power, a normal letter version 968 with 158mm head size is fine.

Reactions: TT4Life
so what are all the differences between the National and numbered(pro)? play wise?
National version has larger head size (161mm) while provincial version has smaller headsize (158mm).
The national is a bit heavier and stronger FH if you have enough power and footwork (because of the enlarged headsize).
But Provincial version has stiffer backhand so blocking is faster.
National's BH is a bit soft, thus you need to put your own power to the ball in each rally instead of just simple blocking, just like those national players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
G ZHANG, what is the best varnish to use on a MA LONG 3 BLADE for protection? I've only changed my rubbers once and the wood has started to splinter already.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
G ZHANG, what is the best varnish to use on a MA LONG 3 BLADE for protection? I've only changed my rubbers once and the wood has started to splinter already.
I use sealing from DHS. Easy to use and the layer you put on isnt too thick. Does ruin the feeling of the blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
One of the common comment about Viscaria is it has very comfortable BH, because of it's Koto ply and outter ALC, it makes BH very fast and powerful. But Viscaria's forehand is a bit problem. Same, because of it's koto + outter alc, the dwell time for FH topspin is a bit shot. It is a bit hard to put enough power and spin to the ball.

K161 is trying to solve this problem. It changed the koto to limba to increase dwell time. Good for forehand, but at the same time, backhand is slowed a bit.

Anyway K161 is a outter ply blade, the feeling is different from Liu Shiwen and W968. If you more into spin game and FH game, try W968.

If you win point more with BH, you can try K161.

Maybe it would be nice to have an asymmetrical blade, with Koto and outer ALC (like Viscaria) for the backhand, and Limba and inner ALC (like W968) for the forehand. I don't know if it would work, but sounds intriguing.

Is there anything like this on the market already? What do you think?

Maybe it would be nice to have an asymmetrical blade, with Koto and outer ALC (like Viscaria) for the backhand, and Limba and inner ALC (like W968) for the forehand. I don't know if it would work, but sounds intriguing.

Some people tried, none successful.

There are some blade makers in China have done this. They also tried to make same structure of Long 5. But because of the wood, the drying process, the glue etc are not exactly like the DHS. Their "Long 5" doesn't feel the same as the DHS Long 5.

So, some of them did tried a FH Long 5 and BH outter alc. Not really good.

One of the reason for that is not only about the outter alc + koto. Is still about the core. Viscaria is kiri while 968(Long 5) is ayuos .

So it's just impossible.

But DHS do have some version to enhance w968. N301 changes the outter ply from limba to Koto. and W968-5 changes the outter to Ebony. These two have better BH but because the outter ply is harder, FH sacrifice some control.

Reactions: TT4Life and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
[h=1]on prott: there is a Hrt blade with should be similar to w968, does somebody have this blade, thank you very much, it cost only 55 dollar

HRT blade - Similar function as W968:[/h]This blade is hand made by DHS retired engineer. The structure of this blade is same with W968 , 5 ply wood + 2 Pith film carbon. After many pro player trial, the feedback is the Power and control is about 90% to W968.

http://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=HRT

Attachments

• 201801040430226938.jpg
    201801040430226938.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,147
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

There are a bunch of blades where the two sides are different. Double Day makes one that is ZLC on one side and ALC on the other. I don't think blades like that usually take off. And usually the faster side is for FH. But you can use them however you want. Do a search for Double Day Terminator.

Here is footage of NextLevel trying the Double Day Terminator (ZLC/ALC) and hitting with PingPongHolic.

The blade is 42&backpain's blade.

Reactions: ttmonster