Ma long not invited for LIEBHERR 2011 Men's World Cup

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Hey friends,

Can anyone tell me.. why is Ma Long not invited for LIEBHERR 2011 Men's World Cup which is going to be held from 11 Nov - 13 Nov 2011 in Paris ??

It amazed me when i checked the list of players..?

how can anyone leave the current world no.1 and a drastic player..??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
Ma Long wasn't on his winning streak yet at the time of the entries. Only 2 Chinese players could join; Wang Hao was #1 back then and won the last world cup, and Zhang Jike had just won the WTTC, plus I think he was ranked higher than Ma Long as well.

By the way, Maze won't play (injuries I guess), Smirnov will replace him.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I can understand what steven is saying..which is quite true. But what Dan said was true too, if it's true, the chinese should be sending a replacement.

This the August ranking :
1 (<<) 2857 WANG Hao CHN
2 (<<) 2794 BOLL Timo GER
3 (<<) 2763 MA Lin CHN
4 (<<) 2747 ZHANG Jike CHN
5 (<<) 2710 MA Long CHN

September :
1 (<<) 2821 WANG Hao CHN
2 (5) 2763 MA Long CHN
3 (2) 2761 BOLL Timo GER
4 (<<) 2753 ZHANG Jike CHN
5 (3) 2712 MA Lin CHN

October :
1 (2) 2832 MA Long CHN
2 (1) 2809 WANG Hao CHN
3 (4) 2797 ZHANG Jike CHN
4 (3) 2737 BOLL Timo GER
5 (<<) 2736 MA Lin CHN

If it's true what Steven and Dan said, if the decision to decide who qualifies for the World Cup is based on looking at August ranking, Ma Lin could be playing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Thats good news that Zhang is recovering from injury. But how can they underestimate Malong man.. I dont understand how much do ma long has to prove??

He has smashed every top player currently in world!!!..They are also not sure will they take ma long for Olymipics also.. Its toooo disgusting!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Man, that sucks. I definitely want to see Ma Long compete in the World Cup. More chances for him to build his legacy if he participates and wins. I don't think Ma Long has won a world cup before.... which means he has no majors in his collection. For how good of a player he is, thats pretty surprising that he hasn't even got one yet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It's actually smart that Ma Long isn't playing in the Men's Cup. This way if he's off to London, he'll be able to put his full focus into that tournament. If he were to lose or injure himself at this tournament it would hurt his chances in London. I think it's a smart move on LGL's part. And also to all of you who are saying or implying he should be there, I would argue that all the Chinese players currently have proven themselves this year that they deserve to be there. Personally though Ma Long would most likely be concentrating more so on the Olympics than any other tournament for the next year so I don't think he minds at all missing this one.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But Ma Long has not been selected for the singles event for the Olympic team either. As of right now, I believe the two Chinese team players selected for the Olympic singles event are Wang Hao and Zhang Jike.

And I agree that it is crazy that the current World #1 is not going to the World Cup. We will see what happens. And I hope he gets put in for the Olympics too. But that would mean that either Zhang Jike or Wang Hao have to be dropped because there can only be 2.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
But Ma Long has not been selected for the singles event for the Olympic team either. As of right now, I believe the two Chinese team players selected for the Olympic singles event are Wang Hao and Zhang Jike.

And I agree that it is crazy that the current World #1 is not going to the World Cup. We will see what happens. And I hope he gets put in for the Olympics too. But that would mean that either Zhang Jike or Wang Hao have to be dropped because there can only be 2.

That's an easy pick after last week ;)