Should I get Vega Pro?

This user has no status.
Currently I'm using Evolution MX-P on my forehand and I love it for smashes, chop smashes, powerloops, flicks, flat hits, aggressive chops and pushes, and blocks that are lightning fast. However, I find the rubber a bit too fast for me to be consistent (I sometimes overshoot the table or it goes into the net), and would like to "downgrade" the speed a few notches. I am considering Vega Pro because it is suppose to play like a slower version of tenergy (but nothings like tenergy I know). Should I switch to this? I'm using it on a photino light because of its great feel and I can hit insanely hard or very soft.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I use Vega Pro 1.8mm on my Donic Defplay for my FH. I though Vega Pro only came in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2mm.
The combination loops well but it isn't the fastest. The Vega Pro also works well on my BH when I twiddle. I can get more back spin with the Vega Pro than I can from the TSP P4 LP on the BH side.

I really like this paddle. However, I play at being a chopper for the fun of it. Some people like to practice playing against a chopper.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
try a thinner version like 1.9mm

OP, Vega Pro is a good rubber that is in most if not all respects toned down a bit in contrast with MX-P. It will give you a higher margin of error, but also a bit less pressure in terms of spin/speed.

I think Yogi suggests you tone down differently, by taking a slightly thinner MX-P (since VP is not available in 1.9, but MX-P is). And that may also be a good option for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I use Vega Pro 1.8mm on my Donic Defplay for my FH. I though Vega Pro only came in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2mm.
The combination loops well but it isn't the fastest. The Vega Pro also works well on my BH when I twiddle. I can get more back spin with the Vega Pro than I can from the TSP P4 LP on the BH side.

I really like this paddle. However, I play at being a chopper for the fun of it. Some people like to practice playing against a chopper.

talking about thicknesses Vega Pro 1.8 should be the same as MX-P 1.7 and Vega Pro 2.0 should be the same as MX-P 1.9. MX-P thicknesses are described as 1.7/1.8, 1.9/2.0 and 2.1/2.2 but it only says one number in the description

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
mx-p will last you half the time the vega pro will, or less.
mx-p has durability problems and vega pro is at the other end of the scale

Reactions: Geoch
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Given your current setup, you might find vega pro a bit slow. You will have to take more active strokes. Also, your smash/drives/blocks will no longer feel the same. Pushes will feel MUCH different. This could be a big transition for you if you really like the properties of the MX-P.

Might I suggest the Rakza7 as a better alternative to Vega Pro? I think R7 is closer to the MXP and has a sharper response to ball contact than the vega pro, which may come off as a bit dull. R7 is definitely a notch slower and you will feel some extra control, but the catapult is still there. Get in 2.0 to turn it down one more notch.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Given your current setup, you might find vega pro a bit slow.

I beg to differ, and think that remark is pretty much far out of left field. Yes, Vega Pro is a bit tamer than (say) MX-P, R7, but it's still quite a beast.

Then again, when I started out Mark V was considered a speed monster. I think we've spiraled into a rubber (and blade) arms race in which year over year more power, more spin has been taunted as a feat, time and over again — thus undercutting our notions of power, speed, spin. I actually think Vega Pro is already bordering on crazy fast, and would recommend it only to players already equipped with basic technique and substantial consistency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herbert
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I think it has plenty of gears. But they require more effort than MXP/R7, which have greater catapult

I bought Hurricane Long 3 with Vega Europe for FH and Vega Pro for BH, Max on both. When I was testing these rubbers, I tried Vega Pro on both FH and BH. Loved it on both sides. Good speed, great control, rubber is more linear, but you can generate very good spin by hitting ball the right way, which I think is great to develop right technique. Rubber is not slow by any means, but it is not too fast either. With my setup I was able to focus more on placement and technique, enough power came from equipment.
I ordered Vega Pro for FH already (but going to hold off for another week before switching).