Clipper CC or Clipper WRB?

This user has no status.
I'm looking for a new blade and some people say that clipper is a pretty good blade,
but wich one is the best? the CC or the WRB?
What's the difference?
Clipper_cc_m.jpg
OR
Clipper_Wood_WRB.jpg
?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think the CC is with carbon so it is a different blade. The Classic Clipper which is all wood is a great blade. I really do not know what the CC feels like. It is a new product from Stiga. But the Classic Clipper is one of the best blades out there and it is not very expensive.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I think the CC is with carbon so it is a different blade. The Classic Clipper which is all wood is a great blade. I really do not know what the CC feels like. It is a new product from Stiga. But the Classic Clipper is one of the best blades out there and it is not very expensive.

Yup, Carl is right. CC stands for Crystal Carbon. Carbon is the material sandwiched between the wood while the Crystal is surface finish of the blade. It provides extra hardness and also protects the surface of the blade. And like Carl, I like the the WRB more. It's an all wood blade, a classic. Fantastic feel and control, and no slouch in the speed department. An all round blade, brilliant.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yup, Carl is right. CC stands for Crystal Carbon. Carbon is the material sandwiched between the wood while the Crystal is surface finish of the blade. It provides extra hardness and also protects the surface of the blade. And like Carl, I like the the WRB more. It's an all wood blade, a classic. Fantastic feel and control, and no slouch in the speed department. An all round blade, brilliant.

I think the good all wood blades are really worth it. And for that, Stiga and Avalox are the best although Yasaka and Nittaku have some great all wood blades also. The thing about all wood blades is the amount of feeling, you can feel the ball on the blade better which adds to the control. Carbon, because it is a hard surface and reduces vibrations, increases the speed and the sweet spot but reduces control and feeling. With the arylate/carbon and zylon/carbon blades you get back the control but not the feeling. The ZLF blades have great touch and feeling but lack a little of the speed. :)

Of all the blades out there for touch and control without losing speed, the Classic Clipper is top notch because the outer ply, limba, is really thin. The slow limba ply gives you touch and when you hit harder you feel this snap and you reach the inner plies, ayous, which are springy and fast. So there is a lot of dwell time for looping and a lot of speed at the same time. It is a rare combination.

But I would love to see what the Clipper CC feels like. I know Stiga's Ebenholz and Rosewood blades feel great. So, when they put a blade out there with the type of price tag that the Clipper CC has, it is usually worth the price. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So it's not a OFF blade...
What blade is the best OFF blade for it's price ?(below 100 euros, i'm not rich :p)

Paddle Palace has the Stiga Clipper listed as an Offensive blade not Off+ not Off-. My experience is that it is an offensive blade and I cannot think of any Off rated blade that is a better price or, really, even, a better blade. When I am home I will put on the conversion from US$ to Euros, but a Clipper is about $50.00 US which I think is around 30-35 Euro.

Mar 2011
So it's not a OFF blade...
What blade is the best OFF blade for it's price ?(below 100 euros, i'm not rich :p)

As to answer your question buddy, if Stiga is your choice of weapon, another that you should try is the extremely light Optimum plus (as used by Li Xiaoxia). It's a tad faster than Clipper WRB.

The Clipper WRB is more of an allround blade that offers a bit more zip in your offensive game.
The Optimum Plus is an offensive blade that offers a bit more control in your allround game. Price wise, it's about 40euros.

This user has no status.
As to answer your question buddy, if Stiga is your choice of weapon, another that you should try is the extremely light Optimum plus (as used by Li Xiaoxia). It's a tad faster than Clipper WRB.

The Clipper WRB is more of an allround blade that offers a bit more zip in your offensive game.
The Optimum Plus is an offensive blade that offers a bit more control in your allround game. Price wise, it's about 40euros.

Or any suggestions to an OFF+ blade?

Mar 2011
Offensive wood NCT is definitely a nice blade. Great feel, about equivalent to the Optimum Plus, except it's all wood blade. NCT stands for Nano Composite Technology. Nano Composite technology embodies a new mixing technique that creates 50-100 nanometer-sized grains (the material between the different wood composition that makes up the blade). These extremely small grains produce stronger and tighter bonds to produce greater dynamic effect.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
On tabletennisdb.com they have the Clipper rated 7.2 in terms of speed, they have the Optimum Plus as 7.0 in terms of speed and they have the Offensive Wood NCT as 8.7 in terms of speed. In community reviews they have the Clipper rated 8.00 on speed, the Optimum Plus at 8.2 and the NCT at 8.2. On paddlepalace.com they have all three blades rated as OFF. They are all good blades and they are all about the same speed. But I personally know many more pros who use a Clipper than either of the other two. :)

I think the reason why has something to do with what I said in an earlier post about how the Clipper is slow and controlled for touch shots because of the thin, soft outer ply, which also give you a lot of dwell time, so, more spin, and fast when you take a fuller stroke because of the plies underneath. The construction gets a very similar effect to the blades that butterfly makes where they combine Carbon with Arylate or Zylon, but with the feeling of an all wood blade. In other words, the Clipper has more gears than most wood blades except the ones that are made of Hinoki and Hinoki is a great wood for a blade. I would not really recommend a blade that had Hinoki and other plies, but blades that are all Hinoki are really cool.

But all three Stiga blades mentioned are top notch.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
On tabletennisdb.com they have the Clipper rated 7.2 in terms of speed, they have the Optimum Plus as 7.0 in terms of speed and they have the Offensive Wood NCT as 8.7 in terms of speed. In community reviews they have the Clipper rated 8.00 on speed, the Optimum Plus at 8.2 and the NCT at 8.2. On paddlepalace.com they have all three blades rated as OFF. They are all good blades and they are all about the same speed. But I personally know many more pros who use a Clipper than either of the other two. :)

I think the reason why has something to do with what I said in an earlier post about how the Clipper is slow and controlled for touch shots because of the thin, soft outer ply, which also give you a lot of dwell time, so, more spin, and fast when you take a fuller stroke because of the plies underneath. The construction gets a very similar effect to the blades that butterfly makes where they combine Carbon with Arylate or Zylon, but with the feeling of an all wood blade. In other words, the Clipper has more gears than most wood blades except the ones that are made of Hinoki and Hinoki is a great wood for a blade. I would not really recommend a blade that had Hinoki and other plies, but blades that are all Hinoki are really cool.

But all three Stiga blades mentioned are top notch.

So a normal Clipper would be enough :)
Thanks...

Chen Qi did play some time with the Clipper, didn't he?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So a normal Clipper would be enough :)
Thanks...

Chen Qi did play some time with the Clipper, didn't he?

A normal Clipper would be enough and is a great blade. I know Chen Chi played with the Energy Wood which is 5 plies, the same plies as Clipper (Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba) but two Ayous plies missing, and so, slower. But the Energy Wood feels like a slower, lighter Clipper so it makes sense that, at some point he used a Clipper. I think there was a point where the Chinese National Team used the Clipper as the blade to train all the prospects as the kids were coming up. But all the blades Azlan mentioned are really good blades.

If you wanted a Clipper and were concerned about the weight, I would call the distributer and get them to weigh ones till you find one that is 89-90 grams. That is what I have done. Then you get one that is not too heavy. But if you are not concerned about the weight, when you get one that is 95 grams or more, they have more speed and power. :)

This user has no status.
A normal Clipper would be enough and is a great blade. I know Chen Chi played with the Energy Wood which is 5 plies, the same plies as Clipper (Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba) but two Ayous plies missing, and so, slower. But the Energy Wood feels like a slower, lighter Clipper so it makes sense that, at some point he used a Clipper. I think there was a point where the Chinese National Team used the Clipper as the blade to train all the prospects as the kids were coming up. But all the blades Azlan mentioned are really good blades.

If you wanted a Clipper and were concerned about the weight, I would call the distributer and get them to weigh ones till you find one that is 89-90 grams. That is what I have done. Then you get one that is not too heavy. But if you are not concerned about the weight, when you get one that is 95 grams or more, they have more speed and power. :)

Are you shure that Chen qi played with energy wood? It is rated as an OFF- blade by stiga. I have read somewhere that he played with a Clipper.
And I'm hesitating to buy the Clipper because it's too heavy... I want a loop blade, but Clipper is too heavy I think

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Are you shure that Chen qi played with energy wood? It is rated as an OFF- blade by stiga. I have read somewhere that he played with a Clipper.
And I'm hesitating to buy the Clipper because it's too heavy... I want a loop blade, but Clipper is too heavy I think

Well, Wikipedia says Chen Chi played with the Clipper. I read somewhere else that he had used the Energy Wood, but I don't know. But a player with the kind of power that Chen Chi has could play with an Off- rated blade and still have that kind of power.

If the Cliper is too heavy, if 90 grams is too heavy, it would be worth finding something on the lighter side. Again, getting the distributer to weigh blades when you purchase to make sure they are not heavier than what you wanted might be worth it. What weight is the blade you currently use?

This user has no status.
Well, Wikipedia says Chen Chi played with the Clipper. I read somewhere else that he had used the Energy Wood, but I don't know. But a player with the kind of power that Chen Chi has could play with an Off- rated blade and still have that kind of power.

If the Cliper is too heavy, if 90 grams is too heavy, it would be worth finding something on the lighter side. Again, getting the distributer to weigh blades when you purchase to make sure they are not heavier than what you wanted might be worth it. What weight is the blade you currently use?

I don't know how heavy my blade is... but with the rubber on it (2times Rakza 7) it weighs 177 grams

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
And Rakza 7 is a very heavy rubber... I think you should do as me.. I used to play the Clipper with Coppa and Acuda. It got too heavy, so I changed to some faster rubbers (Cornilleau Pulse Rider & Calibra LT) and a lighter blade; DONIC Appelgrene Allplay senso V1. Perfect speed, and it makes me able to hit prettyhard shots with those rubbers on :)

Mar 2011
And Rakza 7 is a very heavy rubber... I think you should do as me.. I used to play the Clipper with Coppa and Acuda. It got too heavy, so I changed to some faster rubbers (Cornilleau Pulse Rider & Calibra LT) and a lighter blade; DONIC Appelgrene Allplay senso V1. Perfect speed, and it makes me able to hit prettyhard shots with those rubbers on :)

Hi Scorpnox, since you asked bout Clipper, so we gave you some info about them. But, since then you found out that it is not as light as you think it is. hehhe What Anders said is right....(he's quite knowledgable you know :D). Calibra rubbers are absolutely super. Like I've said before, Stiga Optimum Plus is perfect for it. Very light blade and affordable....

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi Scorpnox, since you asked bout Clipper, so we gave you some info about them. But, since then you found out that it is not as light as you think it is. hehhe What Anders said is right....(he's quite knowledgable you know :D). Calibra rubbers are absolutely super. Like I've said before, Stiga Optimum Plus is perfect for it. Very light blade and affordable....

I am going to agree. :) And the Optimum Plus is a great blade.

The Applegrene Allplay Senso V1 is a great Allround blade. It is rated All+ at paddlepalace.com but I personally like blades that are All+ or Off- for me. But Optimum Plus is faster and very light. It would be a good choice.

I personally like blades that are 87-90, not too heavy but not too light either. But when I have hit with the Optimum Plus it felt good. The Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1 is also a great blade. It weighs 85 grams and is an offensive rated blade with good speed and good control.