PDA

View Full Version : Clipper CC or Clipper WRB?

Scorpnox
11-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm looking for a new blade and some people say that clipper is a pretty good blade,
but wich one is the best? the CC or the WRB?
What's the difference?
OR
?

UpSideDownCarl
11-11-2011, 06:48 AM
I think the CC is with carbon so it is a different blade. The Classic Clipper which is all wood is a great blade. I really do not know what the CC feels like. It is a new product from Stiga. But the Classic Clipper is one of the best blades out there and it is not very expensive.

azlan
11-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I think the CC is with carbon so it is a different blade. The Classic Clipper which is all wood is a great blade. I really do not know what the CC feels like. It is a new product from Stiga. But the Classic Clipper is one of the best blades out there and it is not very expensive.

Yup, Carl is right. CC stands for Crystal Carbon. Carbon is the material sandwiched between the wood while the Crystal is surface finish of the blade. It provides extra hardness and also protects the surface of the blade. And like Carl, I like the the WRB more. It's an all wood blade, a classic. Fantastic feel and control, and no slouch in the speed department. An all round blade, brilliant.

UpSideDownCarl
11-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Yup, Carl is right. CC stands for Crystal Carbon. Carbon is the material sandwiched between the wood while the Crystal is surface finish of the blade. It provides extra hardness and also protects the surface of the blade. And like Carl, I like the the WRB more. It's an all wood blade, a classic. Fantastic feel and control, and no slouch in the speed department. An all round blade, brilliant.

I think the good all wood blades are really worth it. And for that, Stiga and Avalox are the best although Yasaka and Nittaku have some great all wood blades also. The thing about all wood blades is the amount of feeling, you can feel the ball on the blade better which adds to the control. Carbon, because it is a hard surface and reduces vibrations, increases the speed and the sweet spot but reduces control and feeling. With the arylate/carbon and zylon/carbon blades you get back the control but not the feeling. The ZLF blades have great touch and feeling but lack a little of the speed. :)

Of all the blades out there for touch and control without losing speed, the Classic Clipper is top notch because the outer ply, limba, is really thin. The slow limba ply gives you touch and when you hit harder you feel this snap and you reach the inner plies, ayous, which are springy and fast. So there is a lot of dwell time for looping and a lot of speed at the same time. It is a rare combination.

But I would love to see what the Clipper CC feels like. I know Stiga's Ebenholz and Rosewood blades feel great. So, when they put a blade out there with the type of price tag that the Clipper CC has, it is usually worth the price. :)

Scorpnox
11-12-2011, 11:02 PM
So it's not a OFF blade...
What blade is the best OFF blade for it's price ?(below 100 euros, i'm not rich :p)

UpSideDownCarl
11-13-2011, 01:57 AM
What blade is the best OFF blade for it's price ?(below 100 euros, i'm not rich :p)

Paddle Palace has the Stiga Clipper listed as an Offensive blade not Off+ not Off-. My experience is that it is an offensive blade and I cannot think of any Off rated blade that is a better price or, really, even, a better blade. When I am home I will put on the conversion from US$ to Euros, but a Clipper is about $50.00 US which I think is around 30-35 Euro.

azlan
11-13-2011, 04:27 AM

As to answer your question buddy, if Stiga is your choice of weapon, another that you should try is the extremely light Optimum plus (as used by Li Xiaoxia). It's a tad faster than Clipper WRB.

The Clipper WRB is more of an allround blade that offers a bit more zip in your offensive game.
The Optimum Plus is an offensive blade that offers a bit more control in your allround game. Price wise, it's about 40euros.

Scorpnox
11-13-2011, 08:08 AM
As to answer your question buddy, if Stiga is your choice of weapon, another that you should try is the extremely light Optimum plus (as used by Li Xiaoxia). It's a tad faster than Clipper WRB.

The Clipper WRB is more of an allround blade that offers a bit more zip in your offensive game.
The Optimum Plus is an offensive blade that offers a bit more control in your allround game. Price wise, it's about 40euros.

Or any suggestions to an OFF+ blade?

azlan
11-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Offensive wood NCT is definitely a nice blade. Great feel, about equivalent to the Optimum Plus, except it's all wood blade. NCT stands for Nano Composite Technology. Nano Composite technology embodies a new mixing technique that creates 50-100 nanometer-sized grains (the material between the different wood composition that makes up the blade). These extremely small grains produce stronger and tighter bonds to produce greater dynamic effect.

UpSideDownCarl
11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
On tabletennisdb.com they have the Clipper rated 7.2 in terms of speed, they have the Optimum Plus as 7.0 in terms of speed and they have the Offensive Wood NCT as 8.7 in terms of speed. In community reviews they have the Clipper rated 8.00 on speed, the Optimum Plus at 8.2 and the NCT at 8.2. On paddlepalace.com they have all three blades rated as OFF. They are all good blades and they are all about the same speed. But I personally know many more pros who use a Clipper than either of the other two. :)

I think the reason why has something to do with what I said in an earlier post about how the Clipper is slow and controlled for touch shots because of the thin, soft outer ply, which also give you a lot of dwell time, so, more spin, and fast when you take a fuller stroke because of the plies underneath. The construction gets a very similar effect to the blades that butterfly makes where they combine Carbon with Arylate or Zylon, but with the feeling of an all wood blade. In other words, the Clipper has more gears than most wood blades except the ones that are made of Hinoki and Hinoki is a great wood for a blade. I would not really recommend a blade that had Hinoki and other plies, but blades that are all Hinoki are really cool.

But all three Stiga blades mentioned are top notch.

Scorpnox
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
On tabletennisdb.com they have the Clipper rated 7.2 in terms of speed, they have the Optimum Plus as 7.0 in terms of speed and they have the Offensive Wood NCT as 8.7 in terms of speed. In community reviews they have the Clipper rated 8.00 on speed, the Optimum Plus at 8.2 and the NCT at 8.2. On paddlepalace.com they have all three blades rated as OFF. They are all good blades and they are all about the same speed. But I personally know many more pros who use a Clipper than either of the other two. :)

I think the reason why has something to do with what I said in an earlier post about how the Clipper is slow and controlled for touch shots because of the thin, soft outer ply, which also give you a lot of dwell time, so, more spin, and fast when you take a fuller stroke because of the plies underneath. The construction gets a very similar effect to the blades that butterfly makes where they combine Carbon with Arylate or Zylon, but with the feeling of an all wood blade. In other words, the Clipper has more gears than most wood blades except the ones that are made of Hinoki and Hinoki is a great wood for a blade. I would not really recommend a blade that had Hinoki and other plies, but blades that are all Hinoki are really cool.

But all three Stiga blades mentioned are top notch.

So a normal Clipper would be enough :)
Thanks...

Chen Qi did play some time with the Clipper, didn't he?

UpSideDownCarl
11-16-2011, 11:37 AM
So a normal Clipper would be enough :)
Thanks...

Chen Qi did play some time with the Clipper, didn't he?

A normal Clipper would be enough and is a great blade. I know Chen Chi played with the Energy Wood which is 5 plies, the same plies as Clipper (Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba) but two Ayous plies missing, and so, slower. But the Energy Wood feels like a slower, lighter Clipper so it makes sense that, at some point he used a Clipper. I think there was a point where the Chinese National Team used the Clipper as the blade to train all the prospects as the kids were coming up. But all the blades Azlan mentioned are really good blades.

If you wanted a Clipper and were concerned about the weight, I would call the distributer and get them to weigh ones till you find one that is 89-90 grams. That is what I have done. Then you get one that is not too heavy. But if you are not concerned about the weight, when you get one that is 95 grams or more, they have more speed and power. :)

Scorpnox
11-16-2011, 04:01 PM
A normal Clipper would be enough and is a great blade. I know Chen Chi played with the Energy Wood which is 5 plies, the same plies as Clipper (Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba) but two Ayous plies missing, and so, slower. But the Energy Wood feels like a slower, lighter Clipper so it makes sense that, at some point he used a Clipper. I think there was a point where the Chinese National Team used the Clipper as the blade to train all the prospects as the kids were coming up. But all the blades Azlan mentioned are really good blades.

If you wanted a Clipper and were concerned about the weight, I would call the distributer and get them to weigh ones till you find one that is 89-90 grams. That is what I have done. Then you get one that is not too heavy. But if you are not concerned about the weight, when you get one that is 95 grams or more, they have more speed and power. :)

Are you shure that Chen qi played with energy wood? It is rated as an OFF- blade by stiga. I have read somewhere that he played with a Clipper.
And I'm hesitating to buy the Clipper because it's too heavy... I want a loop blade, but Clipper is too heavy I think

UpSideDownCarl
11-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Are you shure that Chen qi played with energy wood? It is rated as an OFF- blade by stiga. I have read somewhere that he played with a Clipper.
And I'm hesitating to buy the Clipper because it's too heavy... I want a loop blade, but Clipper is too heavy I think

Well, Wikipedia says Chen Chi played with the Clipper. I read somewhere else that he had used the Energy Wood, but I don't know. But a player with the kind of power that Chen Chi has could play with an Off- rated blade and still have that kind of power.

If the Cliper is too heavy, if 90 grams is too heavy, it would be worth finding something on the lighter side. Again, getting the distributer to weigh blades when you purchase to make sure they are not heavier than what you wanted might be worth it. What weight is the blade you currently use?

YosuaYosan
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
What I only know is that the WRB is heavy in the head. More speed.

Scorpnox
11-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Well, Wikipedia says Chen Chi played with the Clipper. I read somewhere else that he had used the Energy Wood, but I don't know. But a player with the kind of power that Chen Chi has could play with an Off- rated blade and still have that kind of power.

If the Cliper is too heavy, if 90 grams is too heavy, it would be worth finding something on the lighter side. Again, getting the distributer to weigh blades when you purchase to make sure they are not heavier than what you wanted might be worth it. What weight is the blade you currently use?

I don't know how heavy my blade is... but with the rubber on it (2times Rakza 7) it weighs 177 grams

Anders
11-17-2011, 06:40 PM
And Rakza 7 is a very heavy rubber... I think you should do as me.. I used to play the Clipper with Coppa and Acuda. It got too heavy, so I changed to some faster rubbers (Cornilleau Pulse Rider & Calibra LT) and a lighter blade; DONIC Appelgrene Allplay senso V1. Perfect speed, and it makes me able to hit prettyhard shots with those rubbers on :)

azlan
11-17-2011, 11:47 PM
And Rakza 7 is a very heavy rubber... I think you should do as me.. I used to play the Clipper with Coppa and Acuda. It got too heavy, so I changed to some faster rubbers (Cornilleau Pulse Rider & Calibra LT) and a lighter blade; DONIC Appelgrene Allplay senso V1. Perfect speed, and it makes me able to hit prettyhard shots with those rubbers on :)

Hi Scorpnox, since you asked bout Clipper, so we gave you some info about them. But, since then you found out that it is not as light as you think it is. hehhe What Anders said is right....(he's quite knowledgable you know :D). Calibra rubbers are absolutely super. Like I've said before, Stiga Optimum Plus is perfect for it. Very light blade and affordable....

UpSideDownCarl
11-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Hi Scorpnox, since you asked bout Clipper, so we gave you some info about them. But, since then you found out that it is not as light as you think it is. hehhe What Anders said is right....(he's quite knowledgable you know :D). Calibra rubbers are absolutely super. Like I've said before, Stiga Optimum Plus is perfect for it. Very light blade and affordable....

I am going to agree. :) And the Optimum Plus is a great blade.

The Applegrene Allplay Senso V1 is a great Allround blade. It is rated All+ at paddlepalace.com but I personally like blades that are All+ or Off- for me. But Optimum Plus is faster and very light. It would be a good choice.

I personally like blades that are 87-90, not too heavy but not too light either. But when I have hit with the Optimum Plus it felt good. The Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1 is also a great blade. It weighs 85 grams and is an offensive rated blade with good speed and good control.

azlan
11-18-2011, 10:42 AM
My advice Scorpnox, listen to Carl. When it comes to equipment, especially blades and their characteristics, he's the man.

Anders
11-18-2011, 05:46 PM

The Applegrene Allplay Senso V1 is a great Allround blade. It is rated All+ at paddlepalace.com but I personally like blades that are All+ or Off- for me. But Optimum Plus is faster and very light. It would be a good choice.

I personally like blades that are 87-90, not too heavy but not too light either. But when I have hit with the Optimum Plus it felt good. The Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1 is also a great blade. It weighs 85 grams and is an offensive rated blade with good speed and good control.

Hi Carl. Very good thinking here! :)

I also know that the Appelgrene Allplay Senso V1 is rated All+, but with the Calibra rubbers its like Off- in my hands, you need some strenght in your arms to, you know ;)

So I think we shall conclude with one thing; listen to what Azlan, Carl and myself has to say, but in the end you've gotta make your own choice. Go with your heart :)

Anders
11-18-2011, 05:47 PM

I also know that the Appelgrene Allplay Senso V1 is rated All+, but with the Calibra rubbers its like Off- in my hands, you need some strenght in your arms to, you know ;)

So I think we shall conclude with one thing; listen to what Azlan, Carl and myself has to say, but in the end you've gotta make your own choice. Go with your heart :)

Anders
11-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Btw sir Azlan, thank you very much for the appreciation. I'll always try my best to help all of the forumers in here out :)

UpSideDownCarl
11-18-2011, 06:13 PM

And I will add, especially for a player who wants to develop powerful shots, it is better to work with an All+ or Off- blade than an Off or Off+ blade. The faster blades do more of the work for you so you do not have to do as much. A little over a year ago, I had a friend who is a pro convince me to switch from my Clipper, which I still have and love, to an Off- blade, the Primorac and then after that I switched to the All+ Cornilleau blade that I am still using. He told me that my stroke would improve and I would ultimately end up with more power and more spin from using a blade that made me have to work a little harder and take a fuller, more powerful and more efficient stroke. I have to really swing through the ball and finish my strokes and as a result, he was right and my level instantly when up a good amount and over the last year my stroke has changed dramatically. I have enough power to kill the ball and put it away on, even good defenders, with a blade that is rated All+.

Scorpnox
11-19-2011, 06:17 PM
And I will add, especially for a player who wants to develop powerful shots, it is better to work with an All+ or Off- blade than an Off or Off+ blade. The faster blades do more of the work for you so you do not have to do as much. A little over a year ago, I had a friend who is a pro convince me to switch from my Clipper, which I still have and love, to an Off- blade, the Primorac and then after that I switched to the All+ Cornilleau blade that I am still using. He told me that my stroke would improve and I would ultimately end up with more power and more spin from using a blade that made me have to work a little harder and take a fuller, more powerful and more efficient stroke. I have to really swing through the ball and finish my strokes and as a result, he was right and my level instantly when up a good amount and over the last year my stroke has changed dramatically. I have enough power to kill the ball and put it away on, even good defenders, with a blade that is rated All+.

But I play with an OFF - blade now and have already amazing power so maybe an OFF+ one will be to fast...
I was thinking about Stiga Optimum Sync.
I'ts almost the samen as Optimum Plus, but lighter and more control (less speed tho)

azlan
11-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Or any suggestions to an OFF+ blade?

Well buddy, you did ask our opinion and suggestion for an OFF+ blade....hehehe:D Optimum Sync is not OFF+ buddy, that's why none of us suggested it.

You know what I think, just my personal opinion..if I were to use an OFF- blade, and in order to exert pace to the ball, obviously I have to hit the ball with a lot of power. I am not JM Saive (he uses Clipper CR) and in doing so (hitting as hard as I can), I may miss time the ball and make unforced errors. Plus I get tired quicker..so I might settle for an OFF (medium fast) or OFF+(fast medium) blade. It will give me the same power when I hit all out with an OFF- blade, but by only using a fraction of my energy, thus reducing my focus to produce powerful shots, and help me to focus more on placements and reducing my unforced errors.

UpSideDownCarl
11-20-2011, 04:45 AM
But I play with an OFF - blade now and have already amazing power so maybe an OFF+ one will be to fast...
I was thinking about Stiga Optimum Sync.
I'ts almost the samen as Optimum Plus, but lighter and more control (less speed tho)

Okay, if you do have an Off- blade and have been playing with it then I would think of the Optimum Plus over the Sync. Sync is Off- which you already have. It is probably a good blade too but I have to be honest, I have not felt it, whereas, I have felt the Optimum Plus and it is a nice blade. But Optimum Plus costs less, weighs 2 grams less and is faster. So if you want to try out an Off rated blade, it is not a bad choice.

I will still say that one of my favorite blades, me personally, is the Clipper Classic, but, I would weigh my options if I was you.

Another thing to look at, if you want more info, is the Andro Temper Tech Off. Those play really nicely. They are light, fast and have good control. They cost a little more than the Optimum Plus though. The process they are using to prepare the wood is actually cool. I don't know why it works really. I don't fully buy what they say. But, it works; they play really nicely and are pretty light.

Bryce
11-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey sir carl. Is the clipper and the clipper wood the same thing. Cause when i searched it on google, tabletennisdb provided 2 different pages and the pictures seem different o.o

Scorpnox
11-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Hey sir carl. Is the clipper and the clipper wood the same thing. Cause when i searched it on google, tabletennisdb provided 2 different pages and the pictures seem different o.o

The Clipper Wood and the Clipper Classic are the same, but there are 3 other Clippers.
Clipper CC, Clipper CR (carbon) and Clipper WRB...

Bryce
11-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Which is better for looping, clipper wood or clipper wrb?

chalo_sterling
11-20-2011, 01:15 PM
if my memory don't fail....clipper wood is better for looping

azlan
11-20-2011, 01:20 PM
The clipper blades has been around for 40 years. The oldest is the wood version. I still think with wood, they provide better dwell time...hence better for looping with max spins (depends on the rubber of course).

The WRB system accelerates the blade face enabling faster returns, more power generation and extra touch.

W – Weight balance. The balance of the blade is scientifically moved to the point of ball contact.
R – Rate of recovery. The reduction of blade weight improves the rate of recovery after each stroke.
B – Ball sensitivity. The scientifically positioned handle recess increases the feel and touch.

Scorpnox
11-20-2011, 08:31 PM
The clipper blades has been around for 40 years. The oldest is the wood version. I still think with wood, they provide better dwell time...hence better for looping with max spins (depends on the rubber of course).

The WRB system accelerates the blade face enabling faster returns, more power generation and extra touch.

W – Weight balance. The balance of the blade is scientifically moved to the point of ball contact.
R – Rate of recovery. The reduction of blade weight improves the rate of recovery after each stroke.
B – Ball sensitivity. The scientifically positioned handle recess increases the feel and touch.

So, in the modern game of tabletennis, loop and counterloop, the WRB would be better?

azlan
11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Honestly, I think both wood and WRB would be good for heavy top spin loops. Both offers superb control and feel.

Scorpnox
12-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Finally I got my Clipper this morning :)!!!
It looks awesome!

here are some pics:

Scorpnox
12-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Tomorrow i will test it :)

azlan
12-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeaaaa!!!! Congratulations on your new baby Scorpnox!! hahahaha It looks good...I bet you can't wait to have a hit with it. Give it a few days to get accustomed to it, don't expect miracles on the 1st few days.

YosuaYosan
12-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Awesome Scorpnox!
Waiting for the review ;)

Scorpnox
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Yeaaaa!!!! Congratulations on your new baby Scorpnox!! hahahaha It looks good...I bet you can't wait to have a hit with it. Give it a few days to get accustomed to it, don't expect miracles on the 1st few days.

Thanks :) but fryday i have an important game (we are 1st en we play against n 2) so i wont have a lot of time to get used to it :D

Scorpnox
12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Yesterday I tested my Clipper for the first time... It was insane!

The first loops I did, went over and were superfast?! The blade is fast and it takes some effort to control the power it has.
I trained and afterwards I played some matches with it...

The feeling is tremendous, you can really feel the bal and do with it what you want. Looping on underspin seems so easy now...

It is a beast and I will need some weeks to learn to controll it, but I know that when I will, watch out out for me
muhahaha :D

UpSideDownCarl
12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Awesome. I am happy for you. I just switched back to a Clipper as well. :) Don't you love that snap that you get when you really dig into the ball? And how much dwell time you get even though the blade is fast. It feels like the ball is on the rubber for ever so you can really spin it.

Mr. RicharD
12-08-2011, 09:28 PM
It looks thick and heavy. I prefer medium blades between 80-90 grams. Although as far as wood blades go I love the Yiyong Fan Extra. Just had mine relaminated and it's feeling great again. Not quite as fast as the OFF- blades I have, but more an ALL blade. Juic makes some nice blades as far as I've tried. Stiga I feel makes thicker blades which I don't enjoy. I prefer thinner blades from 5.5-6.5 in thickness.

I'm curious to ask what you were using before Scorpnox? I'm just surprised it's as fast as you describe. Or maybe it's just that new sensation or a new rubber?

azlan
12-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Glad you liked it buddy! Clipper WRB really is an excellent blade. Loads of control, loads of spin, effortless...and the rubbers that you use are perfect for it. It's a crisp blade once you get your timing. You can feel the ball digging into the blade, which will give a lot of confidence looping under spins. Very good at short games, and 2 or 3 extra gears when you let it rip. It's like Audi R8, you can take an easy drive to the office, and on weekends, you can release the beast on the track!!

Scorpnox
12-09-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm curious to ask what you were using before Scorpnox? I'm just surprised it's as fast as you describe. Or maybe it's just that new sensation or a new rubber?

I used Butterfly Maze passion OFF-...

And @ Azlan: True, it really gives a lot of confidence and that's important for me. I know that i am able to loop on every underspin now :)

YosuaYosan
12-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Seems like you enjoyed the new blade just fine :)
We are happy to hear your progress with the blade bro!

Bryce
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Congratulations on your new blade. Too bad there wasn't clipper wood stock in my country's local tt shops. So i got a clipper cr wrb instead :D

UpSideDownCarl
12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Congratulations on your new blade. Too bad there wasn't clipper wood stock in my country's local tt shops. So i got a clipper cr wrb instead :D

That is a very good blade too. It has a little more control than the Clipper Classic. The CR actually gives you a little more control.

Bryce
12-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Wasn't the cr meant to be faster haha.

azlan
12-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Wasn't the cr meant to be faster haha.

Yup, it's only slightly faster, but provide better control. That was what Carl meant. The CR technology involves the use of a UV varnish which under UV light cross-links and creates a hard top-surface. This light is fine enough to penetrate the wood grains on the top ply and harden the overall structure creating that crisp feeling when you hit the ball and better control.

phamster
04-29-2015, 01:12 AM
Hi guys.. and gals..

i have a story to share, i have been away from the game for about 5-7 years, and when i came back in early 2013, equipment has changed alot. no more speed gluing.

with the speed glue ban, i couldn't rely on my dwelly top spin forehand that i played with back in 2005

so i had to find a new set up in the modern era.

playing with forehand dominate style game, i needed a racket that slightly flexes and some decent power too.

in the past i had a gambler carbon arylate straight fat handle with tibhar torpedo speed glued, and that combo was great. but with out the glue, that set up with the 40mm ball sucks.

coming back into the game my body and legs were out of shape and so of course the skills were not where it used to be... so i had to start off slowly.

while looking for the best rubber and blade type to match my game i ended up buying over 10 rackets,

forehand rubber - chinese style Hurricane 3 (neos, blue spong, 50 red sponge)
backhand rubber - donic blue fire m2, tenergy 64, tenergy 05

yinhe T8 - great handle - too fast - not enough dwell
butterfly AL - short small handle didnt like - very dwelly but not fast enough
butterfly innerforce ALC - short small handle didnt like - dead feel, just a little too fast
butterfly mike maze - - short small handle didnt like - crisp feel, nice dwell, over all too light (83) grams
butterfly viscaria - short small handle didnt like - crisp feel, nice dwell, 87 grams second best blade, will keep for backup
yasaka ma long soft carbon - short small handle didnt like - crisp feel, nice dwell - head shape is too small, too light
yinhe W2 - great handle - nice dwell, 90 percent speed of Viscaria - will keep for 3rd backup

and the one i liked best is Stiga
Stiga Clipper Classic - legend handle - hand is the best of all blades i have tried - perfect pitch sound - just dwelly enough for spin and great power for both FH and BH , 94 grams perfect weight for tournament style playing.

weight of the stiga is 94 grams and some might say that it is too heavy for them. but i say when your playing a 2200 level player that hits a hard spinny loop at you, you need to stick the block. and to stick blocks is to have a heavy set up that when the incoming ball hits your blade, it doesn't move. the force of the ball can not over come the weight of your blade. i have found my cut line for weight is 185 grams or higher will give me this stability for good blocking. and of course if youre hitting a ball, the heaveir set blade will be more stable too. over course you can't have it too heavy as you can not get a good flick or accelerate, but i have concluded that 94 gram blade is a great start for me.

anyways, the irony of it all is i spend gobs of money on modern high tech blades and what i ended up with was just a classic all wooden blade.

when i quit playing table tennis in 2005 i was rated around 2032 usatt rating.

now with 2 years under my belt from the come back , i am now rated 2128 usatt. never though i would be this high but with continued drills on serve returns and playing this classic chinese style forehand with the clipper i can see myself going a little farther..

so my moral is don't buy all that fast carbon high tech stuff, just stick with classics, in my case it was the clipper classic that shines in my hands..

phamster

UpSideDownCarl
04-29-2015, 04:56 AM
The regular Stiga Clipper, the Classic Clipper, no CR, no WRB, is still one of the best blades on the market. And the ones that are heavier definitely play better.

I have a friend who has a Clipper from back in 1991 when they made 6mm Clippers. That is one of the best blades I have ever felt. OMG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomkei
04-29-2015, 05:56 AM
currently using mapplewood nct v with t05(fh) limber (bh), but it feels a bit to hard for me, should i change it to clipper? cr/wrb/cc? cause i want around same speed, but a bit softer (not soft) o should i look for different blade? thanks ;)

UpSideDownCarl
04-29-2015, 01:03 PM
currently using mapplewood nct v with t05(fh) limber (bh), but it feels a bit to hard for me, should i change it to clipper? cr/wrb/cc? cause i want around same speed, but a bit softer (not soft) o should i look for different blade? thanks ;)

I am not sure what the maplewood feels like. If you don't mind a blade that weighs 94 grams getting a Clipper and getting one of the heavier ones would be awesome.

An OSP Martin at 94 grams might be as good or better since it is hand made and a lot like the old Clippers from the 90s and the handle is solid so there is a bit more weight in the handle. But with the Martin, you would have to ask them to make for you at 94 grams which is the high weight for that blade. That blade would also start playing better and better after it aged for 4-6 months. I have a bunch of blades from OSP. They start off feeling darn good. And as you play them, they break in and the wood ages and they play better and better.

tomkei
04-29-2015, 04:36 PM
mapplewood feels like off blade but hard - so has springy effect :), was thinking about osp blades.. maybe can u tell me more about them? like v'king ultimate or martin :)
or should i look for stiga infinity or clipper series?

trappedinwales
04-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Carl, or anyone else for that matter!

I would be interested in your opinion of the original Joola Rossi Viva. It appears (on the face of it at least) to be very similar to a Clipper. Sadly, they dont make them any more and the remake is hard to get hold of in the UK.

It is the blade that I used as a junior and having come back to the game three years ago, I have tried a number of other options, but the Rossi Viva and Acuda s1 Turbo, is better than anything else I have tried.

If the Clipper Wood, or WRB are similar, it may be a good option for spare blade (just in case the worst should ever happen and it break)!

thanks!

UpSideDownCarl
05-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Carl, or anyone else for that matter!

I would be interested in your opinion of the original Joola Rossi Viva. It appears (on the face of it at least) to be very similar to a Clipper. Sadly, they dont make them any more and the remake is hard to get hold of in the UK.

It is the blade that I used as a junior and having come back to the game three years ago, I have tried a number of other options, but the Rossi Viva and Acuda s1 Turbo, is better than anything else I have tried.

If the Clipper Wood, or WRB are similar, it may be a good option for spare blade (just in case the worst should ever happen and it break)!

thanks!

The Joola Viva is a Clipper. The wood was made in the Stiga factory and they put the Joola handle on instead of the Stiga handle. The Joola handle is really nice except for their logo which seems to fall off so easily. But a Classic Clipper would be very similar except the handle is a little thicker and a bit more hollow. (Even though both blades appear to have a solid handle, if you open the handle there is a small hollow in the handle. The hollow in the handle is bigger in the Stiga handle than in the Joola handle. At least I am pretty sure I remember correctly that the Joola has a slight hollow space).

trappedinwales
05-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Top man, thanks Carl.

The logo in my Rossi Viva has remained firmly in the blade and it just seems to fit my hand better than anything else I have tried so far. The feeling of dwell on the blade with the added spin and speed generated from the Acuda s1 Turbo is perfect for me.

I am going to trial some other blades in the summer off season, but it is good to know that the clipper will be the same, if I choose to go back to it!

thanks again.

UpSideDownCarl
05-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Top man, thanks Carl.

The logo in my Rossi Viva has remained firmly in the blade and it just seems to fit my hand better than anything else I have tried so far. The feeling of dwell on the blade with the added spin and speed generated from the Acuda s1 Turbo is perfect for me.

I am going to trial some other blades in the summer off season, but it is good to know that the clipper will be the same, if I choose to go back to it!

thanks again.

Yeah, Joola's handles are really nice. The only thing different between the Viva and the Clipper Classic will be the handle. Stage's "Master" (flare) handle will be closest in size to the Joola flare handle. The larger "Legend" (flare) will be bigger than the Master and the Master is already a bit bigger than the Joola flare. After you use it, sweat on it and break it in, the Stiga handle gets a lot smoother and feels really good. But the Joola handles just have that nice smooth feel. Although, I really do like the slightly larger size of the Stiga handles.

To me, the best handle I have ever felt is the OSP flared handle. They have a blade that would probably be pretty similar to the old Clippers from the 1990s which were better than any wood blade made by the major companies today. In the 1990s the Clipper was 7 ply but only 6mm thick and every bit as fast as todays. But the wood was denser.

OSP Martin is 7 plies, 6mm thick, same top ply and hand made. That blade might be a dream. And their handles are solid so the blades don't feel head heavy. They also seem to feel better and better as you play with them and they age. It might be as a result of the fact that they actually make the blade after you order it.

Tompa8888
05-01-2015, 01:55 PM
So have anyone tried the Clipper CC?? Is it faster than the Boll Spirit? I've wanted to try out the Clipper CC for some time now. does it have better control, feeling than the TBS??

phamster
05-03-2015, 02:44 AM
The Joola Viva is a Clipper. The wood was made in the Stiga factory and they put the Joola handle on instead of the Stiga handle. The Joola handle is really nice except for their logo which seems to fall off so easily. But a Classic Clipper would be very similar except the handle is a little thicker and a bit more hollow. (Even though both blades appear to have a solid handle, if you open the handle there is a small hollow in the handle. The hollow in the handle is bigger in the Stiga handle than in the Joola handle. At least I am pretty sure I remember correctly that the Joola has a slight hollow space).

Carl,

as i am reading this, you are saying that the clipper classic legend handle as a hollow cut out inside the handle? even if it isn't a WRB blade? <-- i am some what confused

thanks in advance

trappedinwales
05-07-2015, 04:21 PM
having a look into the OSP Martin now!

Killerspintt
05-07-2015, 04:55 PM
To me, the best handle I have ever felt is the OSP flared handle. They have a blade that would probably be pretty similar to the old Clippers from the 1990s which were better than any wood blade made by the major companies today. In the 1990s the Clipper was 7 ply but only 6mm thick and every bit as fast as todays. But the wood was denser.

OSP Martin is 7 plies, 6mm thick, same top ply and hand made. That blade might be a dream. And their handles are solid so the blades don't feel head heavy. They also seem to feel better and better as you play with them and they age. It might be as a result of the fact that they actually make the blade after you order it.

You can give a try to some clipper based blades with harder outer (Walnut, Rosewood, Eben, Koto), so far I think those blades are amazing with the plastic ball. Have tested the Yasaka Extra Special (Walnut) and TB W7 (Koto outer), both are amazing Clipper based blades. Will recieve a Rosewood and an Eben variant in a month or so......sould think to do a global review about all those Clipper variant.

Yasaka Extra Special is one of the best deal you can make, same composition and quality as Nittaku Barewell (at least the one I recieved, ordered a second already) and much much cheaper.

tomkei
05-08-2015, 05:22 AM
i bought korbel sk7 (same structure as clipper), FL handle is much thicker than other butterfly blades - i love it :) and it's quite heavy around 94g. but cause of thicker handle it doesnt feel head heavy even with tenergies. mine setup weights 188gr.

UpSideDownCarl
05-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Carl,

as i am reading this, you are saying that the clipper classic legend handle as a hollow cut out inside the handle? even if it isn't a WRB blade? <-- i am some what confused

thanks in advance

Yes. All Stiga handles, the ones that look solid from the outside have, have a hollow space inside them. Unless you are using a blade that is pretty old.

I am not really sure when Stiga started making the hollow space. But anything made in the last 6-7 years has a hollow handle. Maybe even anything made after 2000.

Most manufacturers are doing this these days. I am not sure if Butterfly does but most manufacturers do.

I will try and find a photo that shows this.

UpSideDownCarl
05-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Here is a photo:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6641&stc=1

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6642&stc=1

Those photos came from when Der_Echte decided to add some weight to the handle of his Stiga Allround Evolution. It is not a Clipper. But it has the same handle.

And if you take any Stiga blade that looks like it has a solid handle and take the handle off, you will find the hollow space.

phamster
05-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Carl,

thanks for the photos and answer about this stiga hollow handle question.
i am amazed that stiga does hollow out the handle.

the wood weight savings is what the manufacturers are probably trying to do.. so they can market a lighter weight blade.

hum if i ever break my racket i will probably take the photos haha and post them here.

any ways i love my wood clipper classic with the legend handle so i probably will never break it !

UpSideDownCarl
05-10-2015, 02:09 AM
Yep. That is it. Marketing. Being able to say the blade is 92 grams instead of 97.

The Clipper is a great blade. But it would play better with a solid handle and it would feel like it was the same weight. The weight in the handle just makes it more solid and better balanced.

UpSideDownCarl
05-10-2015, 02:15 AM
But yeah. Your blade will never break. The Clipper is a solid blade and in my opinion, without new technology it is still one of Stiga's best blades.

UpSideDownCarl
05-10-2015, 02:25 AM
At some point I will get myself an OSP Martin and ask them to make it as heavy as they can which should be about 94 grams. That blade has a solid handle, is hand made and 6mm thick instead of 7mm thick. It should play a lot like one of the Clippers from the 1990s. If you ever get a chance to try one of those, you will love it. Either a Clipper from the 1990s or an OSP Martin.

When you order from OSP, they make the blade after you order and you can ask for specific details. Like, each blade I ordered from them, I asked for the weight I wanted and the head size I wanted. They will do that even when that particular blade normally comes with a different head size.

Most blades seem to play better when they are on the heavier weight range for that particular blade. For instance, a blade whose weight is generally between 85-90 grams, a 90 gram version of that blade will feel and play noticeably better than an 85 gram version of the same blade. The denser wood plays better, feels more solid and slows more feeling.

phamster
05-10-2015, 02:33 AM
Carl,

i totally agree with what you have just wrote.

the heavier the blade the better for me. i have found out that my beginning point of liking a blade flared handle is around 93 grams. i do tend to like/love a blade when it s 95 grams to about 98 grams.

the solid weight of the blade helps me on blocking and hitting winners. most people believes that the lighter the better but the science tells me F=MA (force = mass x acceleration) so i want great force on my loops and to achieve that , you need mass times your speed.

so it also works when a good 2200 player sends a hard loop to you, and you have to block it back. if you have a light weight set up, you have to block the ball in the perfect sweet spot. but if you have a heavy set , then your block doesn't have to be perfect.

every time i meet a new player in my clubs , i always ask them what they like about their set up, and they always talk about their light weight set up a but then i tell them about my heavy set up and why i like the heavy set up, they then say humm your right. :)

my clipper weighs 95 grams and i have another back up clipper wood and it is 93 grams... i put some lead tape on the side to get it to about 98 grams and it is a great set up for the new poly ball.

pham

UpSideDownCarl
05-10-2015, 03:19 AM
phamster, have a look at this thread:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9048-Re-Building-the-BEAST

You will like it. :) It is where the photos came from.