Difference in carbon blade on premade Stiga Ignite vs. custom blade

This user has no status.
Hello everybody! So I am a beginner in the table tennis world and have been trying to further educate myself on equipment. I have been playing for about two years, the last year spending a significant amount of time learning how to play properly. I plan on playing in my first tournament this summer. That being said I have played some athletes at the college I go to who are in the TT club and I have won every tournament we have had this year. I feel I have a fair amount of feel in terms of the differences in paddles/rubbers/blades.

Here however is my question:

Right now I have a YinHe Y13 blade with DHS H3 2.0mm on each side. It is stated that it has 5 wood + 2 fiberglass. I love this setup, however I wish it had some more speed. I have as well tried my friend's 5 ply wood blade with H3 and it was much slower as expected. Before buying my YinHe Y13 i had a Stiga Titan ($100) premade paddle that is 5 wood + 2 carbon. I went ahead and put some H3 rubbers on the blade just out of curiosity and found it to be much faster than my Yinhe blade with slightly less control.

I was wondering what you all feel the actual quality of the Stiga blade is considering it is a premade paddle. My friend suggested that if I want a carbon blade to just try something like a Yasaka carbon blade for roughly $50 instead of messing with the Stiga blade.

I know as a beginner I should probably stick to an all wood blade, however I am asking this solely for gaining knowledge. I plan on buying a 7 ply wood blade to use as my primary after I get better with form. I am saying this to prevent from people stating the fact that I am far from experienced enough to start trying to master a carbon blade. I clearly need to stay with wood at this point.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
If you're young, and you get coaching, and you're serious about playing real ping pong, then it's perfectly fine to start with composite blades. The only concern when it comes to starting with those is cost.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If what you are really interested in is information, usable information about different blades, rubbers, setups, then this would help more than any words:

Find a club. Play at the club. Get as many people as you can to let you have a five minute knock with their setup and just take note of what it is. After you feel enough different setups, you start having a little bit of an idea how different setups feel. And what differences in quality actually feels like.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited: