Is Hugo Calderano Chinese next biggest threat?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm a big fan of hugo calderano. I've always known there was something special about him. When he played Dimitrij Ovcharov in a World Tour event, when he was 16, he lost 4-2, however his power on his loops, his well developed back hand and good ball feeling were showing signs of a making of a champion. He was scouted and joined Ochsenhausen at the age of 17 and on one of his debuts he took out Timo Boll in a 3 nil victory in the Bundesliga. Over time his power on his loop has increased, as well as his bh technique which has become shorter and more refined. His touch and flick have been honed over the last few years and cause all sorts of trouble for his opponents. He has had very close encounters with Jun Mizutani in the World Championships, and lost 3-2, 16-14 to Dimi in the Champions League final. His style is explosive and he tries to over power his opponents.

hugo.jpg

In the last year he's been playing as the Ochsenhausen number 1 and is doing exceptionally well and is ranked in the top 6 in the German Bundesliga. He was tested in Ochsenhausen for reaction speed and he got by far the highest score out of the Ochsenhausen team, also his ability to solve very difficult mental puzzles quickly like the giant rubix cubes shows he is able to think clearly under pressure and has a very sharp mind.

Ideal for such a tactical game as table tennis.

This tournements hugo has played some of his best table tennis ever, his touch is sublime, his fh powerful and bh loop down the line catching all his opponents off guard.

He defeated Timo Boll, Harimoto and Lin Gaoyuan at the Qatar Open this week. The way he's playing I think he has a 40% chance to best Fan Zhendong today.

If he can keep up this level are we seeing the next threat to Chinese dominance like Timo Boll was to the Chinese 10 years ago?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
lol maybe wait a second and dont hype hugo.
hugo starts when he was 14 so please don't make thread like this one.

he is pure talent but no pressure on him from fake fans, please

Last edited:
Reactions: Herbert
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I would say 4-1 to FZD. LGY lost because he played so poorly. Harimoto has been out of touch lately. Timo Boll also was off color in his match. So, although Hugo played 20% better than his usual, his rivals played way below theirs. Lets wait for the final !!
agreed. I watched the Hugo vs Lin match and I thought Lin was so much worse than usual. I was not sure if he just had a bad match or Hugo was too dominated and made him look poor. I won't take anything away from Hugo, he played great so far, beyond any expectation. But to judge a player, you need to look at more than one fenomenal tournament. If he can keep this form and has 2-3 more tournaments like this, he is indeed the threat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
If Calderano beats FZD today he will be the winner of the casting show "China's next SUPER threat". If he loses against FZD today his career should be over soon though. All depends on his performance today. I expect big fireworks.

I hope you are joking. His career has just started. Even if he never beats a CNT player he can have a great table tennis life. What's wrong with being number twenty in the world? Kreanga is one of my favourite players and he has never been the world number one.

Reactions: maar
Don't underestimate the backstage analyzing team of CNT, and all those backstage CNT players who imitate the component as training partners.

Remember Hirano Miu won every Chinese women's team in last year's Asian Championship. (Well she lost to Liu Shiwen in team, but didn't met in singles)
She was then thoroughly analysed and imitated. To prepare for WTTC 2017 Düsseldorf, four players were arrange to imitate Hirano (Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Chen Xingtong, Liu Ming). Hirano was then never able to win any CNT players after that. (11 lost since winning the Asia Cham), until Qatar Open, she won Chen Ke.
7d478eac2b334bf0913e8f0922a169cb_th.jpg

I don't think he will win Fan. But even if he wins, I think the biggest threat will still be Timo and Dimi

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Don't underestimate the backstage analyzing team of CNT, and all those backstage CNT players who imitate the component as training partners.

Remember Hirano Miu won every Chinese women's team in last year's Asian Championship. (Well she lost to Liu Shiwen in team, but didn't met in singles)
She was then thoroughly analysed and imitated. To prepare for WTTC 2017 Düsseldorf, four players were arrange to imitate Hirano (Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Chen Xingtong, Liu Ming). Hirano was then never able to win any CNT players after that. (11 lost since winning the Asia Cham), until Qatar Open, she won Chen Ke.
View attachment 15705

I don't think he will win Fan. But even if he wins, I think the biggest threat will still be Timo and Dimi

I wonder how much the CNT are studying Hugo now before this final ?