Back to TT after 25 years!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Hi, my name is Vince.. Been away from playing too long! Lot of rules have changed.. 21 pts vs 11 games.. Red black rubber..these plastic balls..

Anyway I dove right in, and bought timo boll carbon blade, tibhar FXP rubber both sides..

Love the power and spin, but struggling on the FH side ball flying off the table.. 50% of the time..

Nice forum!

Regards,
Vince

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Just play as much as you can. Regaining your feel will take time. Don't worry about equipment for awhile.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I also grew up with the 21-point system but I actually enjoy the 11-point system a lot, it helps create more thrill. You can't fall too much behind in a set which demands more focus and attention to details. And that goes both ways of course, if you lead by 5 points you can squander that lead by a lapse in concentration.

Some time ago I also had quite a big gap -period when I trained as a kid and returned playing as an adult. So for me the biggest negative change was going from 21 pts to 11 points. Got used, but still I wish we played till 21 :)

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I also grew up with the 21-point system but I actually enjoy the 11-point system a lot, it helps create more thrill. You can't fall too much behind in a set which demands more focus and attention to details. And that goes both ways of course, if you lead by 5 points you can squander that lead by a lapse in concentration.

Sometimes I close out training session with test matches of a single five-point set (instant death at four); special focus required. I've started doing precisely that before matchplay, and I think I'm seeing good results recently.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

Yes, I agree that it 11 point system creates more thrill, just I am not sure if I like that thrill, it seems I like that comfort that 21 point system gives. If you are leading by some points you feel comfortable cause you are leading, it doesn't matter if its to 11 or 21 points that much, and if you are lagging behind you are more comfortable for sure as there are some time to catch up :)

Reactions: RidTheKid
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I think that matters. For example if You will have something about 15 points and Your opponent 4 or 5 it's almost impossible to catch You and the game is quite boring if You play to 21 points. When You play to 11 points it's even possible to win after losing 3 to 10. I saw that a lot of times ;)

For me, it’s not so much the set length as the 5 consecutive serves. I used to be able to adapt to new opponent’s serves during the first game. And recover in the second if I’d been receiving very poorly at first.

Less so now. Much fewer serves to get the gist from, and only two consecutive ones.

Reactions: Ioiettino

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I still can't work out if it's quicker to play best-of-five to 11 points (as in all serious leagues) or best-of-three to 21 points as is still surprisingly common in recreational table tennis. Last year when I was playing in the league, I seemed to get home just as late as I did years ago when everyone played to 21.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
For me, it’s not so much the set length as the 5 consecutive serves. I used to be able to adapt to new opponent’s serves during the first game. And recover in the second if I’d been receiving very poorly at first.

Less so now. Much fewer serves to get the gist from, and only two consecutive ones.

Oh, I completely forgot about 5 serves. I liked that also. I'd say my serves are ok, deceptive and spinny. This also gave me the advantage as it increased my chances to get the lead and then be more comfortable...