How to read topspin/underspin/sidespin balls?

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
To read sidespin - assuming the opponent doesn't flick his racket in the opposite direction just as he makes contact with the ball - say to yourself that the ball will fly off your racket in the same direction as his racket was moving, unless you angle the racket to counteract the spin. Topspin and underspin are easy to read unless the opponent is very skilled - an upward motion imparts topspin while a downward motion imparts backspin. When really in doubt, a very flat push i.e. with your racket nearly horizontal will deal with everything except topspin, which requires a closed face and/or counter-topspin; if you can'
t spot topspin and your opponent knows it, you are in trouble !

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
You're right that you should be able to read spin off the ball itself, which is probably the best way of doing it, but its a skill that's built over time.
You do it by looking at the ball itself and its flight path and then at how it bounces off the table. To begin with you should be able to easily see, for example, if a ball carries only little spin, meaning it's an easy target for booming.

With long fast serves this is more difficult but also less necessary because you're supposed to just attack those as hard as you can :)

Reactions: JHB