Weird playing stlye or smooth playing style?

This user has no status.
Ma is a master of heavy topspin so maybe You should go in this direction? We don't know anything about Your game- are You a defence or attacking player. What's You're favourite style. Give us some more informations...

I'm forehand dominant. I use forehand pivots so much. My best is my forehand topspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Get some video..... Post it online, and then we can give advice :)

^^^
Alpay, I think this is the first thing you need to do, since I'm really confused by your description of your style in several threads. There are good coaches among the members of this forum, and given a video of a recent match they can help you a lot.
You can also look for a local coach to train you. That's always more productive, since a coach will correct you in training constantly and help you develop the correct technique into muscle memory.

This user has no status.
The worst thing I have ever heard is that you should chose your favorite player and copy his style. The second worst thing I have ever heard is that a player decides to start playing a "smooth" or "weird" or "this" or "that" style out of nothing.

It is all crap! Every player develops his own unique style over a lot of years of training. If your forehand loop needs improvement you would never start to copy Ma Long's FH loop in order to improve your own stroke. Never ever! You would rather analyse your own stroke, say for example that you need to brush the ball more and add more wrist action and start training and improving those exact things.

Who cares what your strokes look like? Either you hit your strokes or you don't. That is all that matters.

Reactions: yoass

NDH

says Spin to win!
The worst thing I have ever heard is that you should chose your favorite player and copy his style. The second worst thing I have ever heard is that a player decides to start playing a "smooth" or "weird" or "this" or "that" style out of nothing.

It is all crap! Every player develops his own unique style over a lot of years of training. If your forehand loop needs improvement you would never start to copy Ma Long's FH loop in order to improve your own stroke. Never ever! You would rather analyse your own stroke, say for example that you need to brush the ball more and add more wrist action and start training and improving those exact things.

Who cares what your strokes look like? Either you hit your strokes or you don't. That is all that matters.

I agree in parts to this.......But for people who don't have access to a coach, or would like to refine a part of their technique..... Watching videos of Pro players is a very good way to do this.

No.... Watching 100's of hours of Ma Long will not make you play like Ma Long - But it's certainly better than not watching anything and just hoping you'll improve.

The first thing has always got to be - Get a coach!

If you can't get a coach, a combination of watching and analysing pro players, along with a ton of practice will be the second best option for you.

Reactions: BeGo

NDH

says Spin to win!
I have never said that watching videos of pro players is bad.

Not in those words. But you said if you wanted to improve your forehand, don't copy Ma Long's?

This is where I partly agree.

I agree it's not ideal to simply say "let's change my forehand loop to imitate Ma Long's" - Changing a stroke is a lengthy lengthy process (and ideally needs a coach).

But I don't see the issue with someone wanting to copy Ma Long's style of play - Like I said before. It's not ideal (having a coach would be ideal) - But by watching your favourite player, you are invariably going to pick up tendencies which are unique to the pro player.

Reactions: BeGo
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Just find what you're best at and build around that.
If you're best at forehand topspin work on your footwork so you can forehand topspin quickly from all over the table with fast recovery..

Reactions: Geoch and suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think we should add the confusion of the OP and let him know there's many more styles that weird style or smooth style... Strange those were the two he choose.

Power player style?
Spin based player style?

Too broad a brush that doesn't mean anything. Lets get more specific.

Single winged FH attacker?
Two winged looper?
Modern Defender?
Classic defender?
LP Pushblocker?
Twiddler combo bat player?
Blocker?
Retriever/fisher?

Then there's grips. Penhold, Shakehand, Seemiller

There ya go. That'll probably be enough to start paralysis by analysis. :p

j/k. Yeah like others have said. Get on the table. Find your natural strengths, build around that. Boom. there's your style.

Reactions: BeGo and pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I think we should add the confusion of the OP and let him know there's many more styles that weird style or smooth style... Strange those were the two he choose.

Power player style?
Spin based player style?

Two winged looper?
Modern Defender?
Classic defender?
LP Pushblocker?
Blocker?
Retriever/fisher?

j/k. Yeah like others have said. Get on the table. Find your natural strengths, build around that. Boom. there's your style.

My guess is that 'weird' could also refer to anything with pips, and 'smooth' then is obviously 'double inverted'. OP is not a native english speaker, so we could be thrown off by that too.

Just shows that it's really hard to provide useful advice without a video or any good estimate of a skill level.

Reactions: BeGo and suds79
This user has no status.

Power player style?
Spin based player style?

Two winged looper?
Modern Defender?
Classic defender?
LP Pushblocker?
Blocker?
Retriever/fisher?

Spin based two winged attacker

Reactions: BeGo and suds79