Count me out as a ZJK fan.

This user has no status.
As you guys might know, I have been a fan of ZJK's technique, especially his way of loading up spin in a game. After today, I've decided that enough is enough. I am officially not a ZJK fan anymore. In fact, I have removed his picture as my avatar.

His arrogance, the way he secretly laughed when he played Joo Se Hyuk today, the way that he planned the World Cup and World Championship celebrations, the interviews he made where he attacked Ma Long, Liu Shiwen and Wang Hao verbally(his teammates), the way he refused to shake Chuang Chih-yuan's hand during the 2010 World Cup. I believe that one can have the best technique in the whole world and be proud of it, but this is too much. If you compare his attitude to Waldner, Samsonov, Timo Boll, Wang Liqin, Ryu Seung Min, Schlager and the way they conduct themselves on and off court, it's such a big difference.

His hunger for victory and success has already blinded him to everything else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
i agree with you dude,everything is true what u have been writed here... i dont like him at all,especialy his behaviour,it sucks...when ma long beat him at harmony and austrian open,i felt like i won him...i mean i dont like him,i hate him,he has no sport spirit...for me ma long is complete player at all,and at the moment the best one.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I don't know about these interviews! What did he talked about all of them?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

Welcome to the forum Alcir :) , hope you have a fantastic time here.

Yeah, what interviews did he mention this in blahness and do we have the video where he didnt want to shake Chuang Chih Yuan's hand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
As you guys might know, I have been a fan of ZJK's technique, especially his way of loading up spin in a game. After today, I've decided that enough is enough. I am officially not a ZJK fan anymore. In fact, I have removed his picture as my avatar.

His arrogance, the way he secretly laughed when he played Joo Se Hyuk today, the way that he planned the World Cup and World Championship celebrations, the interviews he made where he attacked Ma Long, Liu Shiwen and Wang Hao verbally(his teammates), the way he refused to shake Chuang Chih-yuan's hand during the 2010 World Cup. I believe that one can have the best technique in the whole world and be proud of it, but this is too much. If you compare his attitude to Waldner, Samsonov, Timo Boll, Wang Liqin, Ryu Seung Min, Schlager and the way they conduct themselves on and off court, it's such a big difference.

Did you mean his grin after his drop shot against Joo Se Hyuk? How do you know it that the WTTC celebration was planned? Do you have the interviews? I can't believe that he attacked Liu Shiwen, there were actually rumors that they are a couple?
What did he say about Ma Long and co.?

But you have admit that he is an interesting character and that he stirs up the whole tt-scene. he shows and express emotions like no one before and ofc he provokes his opponent and the people actually like that....

I am a Ma Long fan and will ever be :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Welcome to the forum Alcir :) , hope you have a fantastic time here.

Yeah, what interviews did he mention this in blahness and do we have the video where he didnt want to shake Chuang Chih Yuan's hand?

He actually shaked Chuang's Hand. Maybe he just forgot it at first because he was nervous after the loss ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
After I watched the men's world cup final today I was only with admiration for this guy. Our sport needs young men like Zhang Yike and his fierce agression, arrogance and desire. His interviews are questionable but he is young and he will have to face up for his behavior, but you cannot question his passion in the arena. When he arrvives in London in a week and a half, I hope hundreds of British kids sense the heat from his blade and leave the arena full of inspiration. Zhang Yike is the most enthralling young talent in the mens game right now..... and if some fans hate him, well I reallly don't think he'd care.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I'm probs the biggest ZJK fan lol, I love his attitude, he is cocky however he lives up to it, I mean so what if he 'planned' the celebrations (IMO, I don't think he planned the the WTTC celebration and in a CCTV 5 chinese interview, he also said he didn't actually 'plan' it, he simply wanted a way to express the built up tension in him due to the fact that wang hao almost made a come back after saving 5 match points). I watched today's World Cup, maybe it seemed planned but think about how you would feel if you won the World Cup, I'd feel pretty darn happy and do whatever I want as a celebration.

About the interviews, that's something I've never heard of, I've heard a similar interview where he did say some stuff about Ma Long and Wang Hao after the WTTC on CCTV 5, he said that he felt he will be the next "ling jun ren wu" which translated from Chinese means that he thinks he will be the next "leader" of the chinese mens TT squad and said that Ma Long and Wang Hao wouldn't be able to live up to the role. Again, that is pretty darn cocky, however he lives up to it, he has the WTTC and World Cup under his belt, what major competition does Ma Long have atm besides the Asian Games title? I ain't hating on Ma Long or any other Chinese tt player fans out there (in fact I love every single table tennis player, they are all unique in their own ways), however ZJK is the most unique and his attitude shows that he has tons of confidence and I think that kind of attitude actually helps improve his mental toughness. If he changed the way he acted I think it would have a big impact on the way he plays.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
Zhang Jike is just badass. :) I still like how he celebrates his poins and wins.
But I do know what you mean. Thursday, right after the live draw (you can watch it on ittv, though this part was cut off) Timo came in and walked past Zhang, while greeting some other players, but Zhang just turned his head away as if he didn't want to see him.

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Zhang Jike is just badass. :) I still like how he celebrates his poins and wins.
But I do know what you mean. Thursday, right after the live draw (you can watch it on ittv, though this part was cut off) Timo came in and walked past Zhang, while greeting some other players, but Zhang just turned his head away as if he didn't want to see him.

What time frame in the video do you see him blank Timo Boll Steven?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011

I think you just overreact here. i think you see the things you wonna see. a lot of players smile and laugh doing a nice or a crazy point. i dont think, that he laughted about him, because joo se hyuk got one thing, zhang jike is going to be now. the best player. he was never the number one. but joo se hyuk is the world best chooper for years and also in the top10. i think they really respect each other. the way he celebrates is nice and fresh air for the table tennis world i think. he ripped his short of, because he became world champion. i would rip all my clothes off and make a dance naked, if you would stand there!!! and now he won the world cup. the 3rd big event (2nd olympics). to undress his shirt now is maybe his new sign for winning. look ... vettel has his finger. ronaldinho is phone-symbol with the fingers. but no tt-player ever had a sign like this. i think, times changes now a little bit with the new generation of table tennis player. they want more and they are under big pressure. i think this was zhang jikes ticket to olympia!!! that he has to celebrate!
the interviews i dont know. the interviews he gave at the world cup where okay. even there i said, that he had to be good preperated for joo se hyuk, because he saw what he can play (against boll). the hand shake with chuang .... man ... he lost. thats not easy for a chinese player. may he played bad, i dont know. he did the handshake ... when i think about korbl ... he often screams on the court and his handshakes arent pretty nice as well.
AND! i think liu gouliang will keep an eye on zhang jike. he was banned one time. i think he wouldnt risk a another time. the trainer has the last word. but i think what a player does on the playground is his thing. he is emotional, young and one of the best player. i dont think, that you could let your feets on the ground :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
What time frame in the video do you see him blank Timo Boll Steven?
You can't see it anymore. Right after the draw they wanted to make a group photo, and Timo came in when everyone was standing there. The only thing you can still see is that the woman wanted to say "Oh wait, I forgot about the group photo!" in the last second of the video. xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Could not agree with you more Plasmalight .... I have seen Korbel do much wilder things .... the thing is and this I consider across all spheres of life .. judge people by what they do and not their facial expressions or whatsoever .... because we have a tendency of assuming that we can know what is going on inside the mind by looking at the face ... which might not be necessarily true ....... also considering Zhang Jike's background and his struggle with himself or the team to come up to the top .. his behavior is different than Ma Long ( who is incidentally born with a silver spoon , no disrespect meant to him as a player ) ..... also and this is my personal guess LGL sees a bit of him and Kong Linghui mixed in Zhang Jike ... interms of attitude and will to succeed ... different players have different ways of motivating themselves and as long as they are not blatantly disrespecting anybody or going against the spirit of the game ( like hiding serves or boosting rubber ) we should take it with a pinch of salt ....

I think you just overreact here. i think you see the things you wonna see. a lot of players smile and laugh doing a nice or a crazy point. i dont think, that he laughted about him, because joo se hyuk got one thing, zhang jike is going to be now. the best player. he was never the number one. but joo se hyuk is the world best chooper for years and also in the top10. i think they really respect each other. the way he celebrates is nice and fresh air for the table tennis world i think. he ripped his short of, because he became world champion. i would rip all my clothes off and make a dance naked, if you would stand there!!! and now he won the world cup. the 3rd big event (2nd olympics). to undress his shirt now is maybe his new sign for winning. look ... vettel has his finger. ronaldinho is phone-symbol with the fingers. but no tt-player ever had a sign like this. i think, times changes now a little bit with the new generation of table tennis player. they want more and they are under big pressure. i think this was zhang jikes ticket to olympia!!! that he has to celebrate!
the interviews i dont know. the interviews he gave at the world cup where okay. even there i said, that he had to be good preperated for joo se hyuk, because he saw what he can play (against boll). the hand shake with chuang .... man ... he lost. thats not easy for a chinese player. may he played bad, i dont know. he did the handshake ... when i think about korbl ... he often screams on the court and his handshakes arent pretty nice as well.
AND! i think liu gouliang will keep an eye on zhang jike. he was banned one time. i think he wouldnt risk a another time. the trainer has the last word. but i think what a player does on the playground is his thing. he is emotional, young and one of the best player. i dont think, that you could let your feets on the ground :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Could not agree with you more Plasmalight .... I have seen Korbel do much wilder things .... the thing is and this I consider across all spheres of life .. judge people by what they do and not their facial expressions or whatsoever .... because we have a tendency of assuming that we can know what is going on inside the mind by looking at the face ... which might not be necessarily true ....... also considering Zhang Jike's background and his struggle with himself or the team to come up to the top .. his behavior is different than Ma Long ( who is incidentally born with a silver spoon , no disrespect meant to him as a player ) ..... also and this is my personal guess LGL sees a bit of him and Kong Linghui mixed in Zhang Jike ... interms of attitude and will to succeed ... different players have different ways of motivating themselves and as long as they are not blatantly disrespecting anybody or going against the spirit of the game ( like hiding serves or boosting rubber ) we should take it with a pinch of salt ....

thanks ;) (sorry for typing mistakes :D)

and i have another example. take a look at the young waldner. watch the tribute videos on youtube. i would say he was somehow more arrogant than zhang jike now ... playing the ball without looking (against ryu seung min), doing the point just with blocking and without movement (against timo boll), shaking his wrist after playing the ball (dont know the oponent) and the point against liu gouliang himself, where liu plays and really nice sidespin topsin around the net and waldner easy blocks it without emotions ... like it is the easiest thing of the world.
probably at this age you have to be arrogant. ten years later you will smile about it. walnder is all time greatest and really sympathic now. wang liqin and ma lin as well. and zhang jike will stand next to them one time ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Exactly my point PlasmaLight ... people go through different phases in life and then look back and think " I could have done it a little bit differently " .... but that is life itself or rather a part of the journey of life and the experience you go through ...... but that does not make somebody a lesser person .... judge a person by what they do in their chosen field of enterprise ...

thanks ;) (sorry for typing mistakes :D)

and i have another example. take a look at the young waldner. watch the tribute videos on youtube. i would say he was somehow more arrogant than zhang jike now ... playing the ball without looking (against ryu seung min), doing the point just with blocking and without movement (against timo boll), shaking his wrist after playing the ball (dont know the oponent) and the point against liu gouliang himself, where liu plays and really nice sidespin topsin around the net and waldner easy blocks it without emotions ... like it is the easiest thing of the world.
probably at this age you have to be arrogant. ten years later you will smile about it. walnder is all time greatest and really sympathic now. wang liqin and ma lin as well. and zhang jike will stand next to them one time ;)

This user has no status.
You only have to see the amout of posts to this thread to see jang zhike is good for tt,,we need a "badass" as some one said, a mcenroe to ma long ,timo s borg,,,the more he stimulates the more publicity for tt,,,ansd as they say any publicity is good publicity,,but bad publicity is better..
tt on the rise...enjoy..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
You guys are taking too much into this. You watch 30 seconds of video and assume that someone is being rude or what not, but you have no idea what's going through a professional player's mind when they're at a tournament. ZJK I think was playing doubles in 2010 after the Chuang defeat wasn't he? I forget, but there's always more going on than the 20-30 seconds we see on TV. As for the Boll incident you could argue that Boll was being rude for not greeting him first as well. In Asia it is customary for the Elder to greet and start a conversation with you. If you go up to someone older than you and start a conversation or greet them it is considered disrespectful.

I'm not really sure where all the negativity towards ZJK is coming from because he's only the 3rd player ever to win a World's and World Cup's Gold in the same year and he's only the 2nd player ever to win at his first World's Singles. It's pretty clear that he has a lot of respect for his team mates and coaches because he is always praising and thanking them. I think that some of you just need to learn a little bit about culture and what not before you start making assumptions about a player.

This user has no status.
exactly,,,he is class,I met him at the worlds in rotterdam,he stopped,chatted ,sort of,,, he said he would win,,, and has the deepest voice for a chinese I have ever heard...the 3 young lions from china are awesome,, ma long xu xin..and zhang...3 of the best of all time,,,can the young french and germans catch up,,,
more publicity please,,,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
They can with work Harry. Especially if you get this Chinese coaching program in place. Personally as long as the kids have the drive no one can stop them in my opinion. Look at Adrien Mattenet. He's made it the quarter finals upsetting huge players and that's all from his personal drive and the French TT program which is rather small in comparison to other players. He's had russian coaches which has helped, but imagine if you gave a kid like that a Chinese coach, chinese practice partners, and Chinese insight on training and work ethic. That kid would be unstoppable at the next olympics.

It's all about getting the growth and income to have better coaches and facilities to train better athletes. In all seriousness I hope that all of you really consider just bringing an extra person to your club the next time you go because if you can spread that fever around you'll have growth that you won't be able to stop. You'll have so much growth you'll have to find more days to play and more tables to play on. You'll have so much growth that some big time companies would be willing to sponsor events and really help out Europe's economy. I can't wait for the day with TT is so big that Football will be second in growth and popularity. Imagine that?