How to beat a speedy wonderkid?

This user has no status.
I am often losing to a wonderkid. His playing style is like Harimoto. He is close to table attacker and he has so fast footwork. And I am getting stressful while playing with him. Because he is a kid and I am playing better than him. I am thinking about losing while match. How can I beat him? I am lefty and I am playing better than him. Thanks.

Simply put, if he is winning against you, he's better than you. It's your job to find his weaknesses and strengthen your mentality and technique in order to prevent losing again. Unless you are a hundred percent sure you are better than him, then it's just psychological preparation and lack of match experience. In cases like this, I usually reflect on each other's errors and ask anyone that was watching to give you anything they might have noticed to learn from the match. It's usually technique-based for people like you, I assume. Don't take it as offense, you could probably be better than all of us, but from the little experience that I have, I'm sure that someone that loses and questions their loss has to be realistic and face the fact that they were definitely not prepared in regards to technique instead of adding excuses.

This user has no status.
Simply put, if he is winning against you, he's better than you. It's your job to find his weaknesses and strengthen your mentality and technique in order to prevent losing again. Unless you are a hundred percent sure you are better than him, then it's just psychological preparation and lack of match experience. In cases like this, I usually reflect on each other's errors and ask anyone that was watching to give you anything they might have noticed to learn from the match. It's usually technique-based for people like you, I assume. Don't take it as offense, you could probably be better than all of us, but from the little experience that I have, I'm sure that someone that loses and questions their loss has to be realistic and face the fact that they were definitely not prepared in regards to technique instead of adding excuses.
I am losing because of fear and stress. I am %100 sure about that. Because I am trembling while playing.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
This is the funniest joke account. The good kind though cuz it furthers conversation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
This is the funniest joke account. The good kind though cuz it furthers conversation

At this point I think he’s just trolling the forum. He never follows up with any of the given advice and all I ever heard of him is that he’s a professional and he’s so good. Yet no clips, no real info, nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I am losing because of fear and stress. I am %100 sure about that. Because I am trembling while playing.

How you handle play psychologically is part of the game. Maybe he doesn't have a problem with it (one of the blessings of youth) and you do.

If this kid is really a wonder kid, I've got news for you, your time of beating him is limited. Sounds like you're in the stage where he is just overtaking you and you're coming up with excuses as to why it's happening. But at some point when someone keeps beating you over & over you just have to accept that they're better.

In the state I live in, the best player (there might be one college guy who is better but that's besides the point), is an 11 year old kid. Everybody just knows it now but about a year ago or so when the take over happened, a lot of people had to eat some humble pie as it was tough to them losing to someone of that age.

But that's what is great about TT. Don't judge someone by their age, size or weight. Just go play.

Reactions: Xanderngzien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have seen a person that is on one of these TT forums lob the ball so it bounced high over the kids head. The kid had to get back to hit the ball. It removed the speed issue and the kid was forced to play a game he wasn't ready to play. Sometimes it was funny. My problem is that I never play in a gym were the ceilings are high enough to practice lobbing.

Adam Bobrow has some videos where he lobs against some pretty good kids.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Impossible to generalize. But here are a few things to consider. Serve a lot of balls very short. It is harder for them to reach it if they are still not their full height. Try to keep the ball on the table. Don't make it easier for them by beating yourself and you are not going to overpower them. That last one is really important.
Often kids don't practice their BH as much as their FH.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Also some kids are really good and if tbey are not beating you now they will before long. No shame in that.

Reactions: Ioiettino

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
When you play him, it's really important that you not think about who you are playing, because that makes you get all scared and trembling, right? And who can play good like that, nobody!

But you are lucky there is a very simple way to cure this and once you learn it you will always beat this kid. When you get ready to start playing, just close your eyes, and keep them closed the whole time. Then feel the Force. Use the Force to show your body where the ball is, and use the Force to return the ball. You don't even have to touch it with your paddle! You can just use the Force to fool the umpire into thinking you hit it with the paddle. This wonderkid will never know what hit him. Next time he'll be scared to play you!

One warning, it can take some time to really master the Force. But if you need a coach, I saw a really good one in a video. Maybe somebody else here knows his name -- old, really short guy, maybe asian, hard to tell. English definitely isn't his first language cause he's always up the order word mixing. That's the guy for you.

This user has no status.
When you play him, it's really important that you not think about who you are playing, because that makes you get all scared and trembling, right? And who can play good like that, nobody!

But you are lucky there is a very simple way to cure this and once you learn it you will always beat this kid. When you get ready to start playing, just close your eyes, and keep them closed the whole time. Then feel the Force. Use the Force to show your body where the ball is, and use the Force to return the ball. You don't even have to touch it with your paddle! You can just use the Force to fool the umpire into thinking you hit it with the paddle. This wonderkid will never know what hit him. Next time he'll be scared to play you!

One warning, it can take some time to really master the Force. But if you need a coach, I saw a really good one in a video. Maybe somebody else here knows his name -- old, really short guy, maybe asian, hard to tell. English definitely isn't his first language cause he's always up the order word mixing. That's the guy for you.
Best advice! Thanks @Brs