PDA

View Full Version : World Junior Championships 2011

Dan
11-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Volkswagen 2011 World Junior Table Tennis Championships,13 Nov 2011 - 20 Nov 2011, Manama, BRN

Well if we couldn't get enough of last weeks table tennis action which included the World Team and World Singles Cup we have plenty more left in store! The future table tennis stars are about to emerge into the international arena which many of them already doing so. If you couldn't of guessed, its the biggest World Junior event of the year.

The best junior players in the world are making their way to Bahrain to complete in the Volkswagen 2011 World Junior Championships!

This is an awesome event and beholds the future players of our game so lets start discussing the seeds. We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular event!

http://www.ettu.org/public/Image/niwa_30_04_09_Large.jpg
Photo by: ITTF

Play commences on Sunday 13th November and concludes on Sunday 20th Nevember 2011 being staged in a new purpose built table tennis facility.

The tournament is spilt into two parts with a team event followed by the singles later in the week. The team event has reached the semi final stages with the draw below:

First semi final - China vs India
Second semi final - France vs Japan

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/wjteamdraw.jpg
Photo by: ITTF

The singles event begins right after the team event.

Top ten seeds (Boys Junior singles)

1) Koki Niwa (JPN)
2) Gaoyuan Lin (CHN)
3) Jiaji Wu (CHN)
4) Hongyuan Song (CHN)
5) Maharu Yoshimura (JPN)
6) Quentin Robinot (FRA)
7) Simon Gauzy (FRA)
8) Peifeng Zheng (CHN)
9) Liam Pitchford (ENG)
10) Hsiang Tzu Hung (TPE)

http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/pitchford_14_10_11.jpg
Englands Liam Pitchford, Photo by: Alex Lomaev

Top ten seeds (Girls Junior Singles)

1) Kasumi Ishikawa (JPN)
2) Yuling Zhu (CHN)
3) Yuting Gu (CHN)
4) Bernadette Szocs (ROU)
5) Ayuka Tanioka (JPN)
6) Yana Noskova (RUS)
7) Petrissa Solja (GER)
8) Ruochen Gu (CHN)
9) Dora Madarasz (HUN)
10) Chen Szu-Yu (TPE)

http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/ishikawa_31_08_07_Large.jpg
Japan's Kasumi Ishikawa, Photo by: ITTF Asia Office

So what are your predictions of this spectacular event! Can Koki Niwa prove his no.1 World position? Can the young Europeans including Liam Pitchford, Quentin Robinot or Simon Gauzy push the top players, as they have recently all beat top 20 Men's World Ranked players?

Will Kasumi Ishikawa prove why she is so dominate in the Women's game right now?

The event is streamed on ITTV, you have to click the 3rd title, 'Junior Events' and then you can watch the live stream :) http://www.ittf.com/itTV/

This thread has been created as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular event! So lets get discussing guys, and enjoy the World Junior Table Tennis Championships!

All the matches in our media library from the World Junior Table Tennis Championships in amazing quality!! Click Media Library WJTTC 2011 (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/media.php?do=category&cid=79)

WiWa
11-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Interesting that there is a team from India in the semis. I read they beat Korea in the quarterfinals.

Dan
11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Interesting that there is a team from India in the semis. I read they beat Korea in the quarterfinals.

Yeah its surprising, they are 5th seeds tho, but all the same, defeating Korea is quite a feet! Any videos of this event WiWa?

WiWa
11-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah its surprising, they are 5th seeds tho, but all the same, defeating Korea is quite a feet! Any videos of this event WiWa?

2 Live streams just popped up at ITTV ;) the semis of the team event are now on, Koki Niwa just beat Tristan Flore.

Edit: On ITTV, you need to click 'Junior Events' the 3rd tab above the livestream.

Dan
11-14-2011, 03:49 PM
OHH Thanks WiWa your a star!! :)

Look what I found :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rNW2YiOXBk

WiWa
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Nice! When I saw it at first I thought the guy with the glasses would be a translator haha! Cool that he speaks English.

PlasmaLight
11-14-2011, 04:03 PM
KOKI NIWA !!! :)

hope that he will be one of the greatest players of all time!

WiWa
11-14-2011, 04:39 PM
China just beat India 3-0, 3x 3-2

scylla24
11-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I think indian players tend to have their own really really unique style, and that can probably prove problematic for many players.

I am rooting for Lin Gaoyuan, after seeing a lot of his matches over the past 2 years or so, I am really really impressed with his skills, and overall feel for the game. He has a better touch and feel for the game than anyone his age in my opinion. The last person who exemplified such promise at that age was Ma Long, and we all know how well that turned out. I definitely think he has the most promise of any of the young Chinese players.

As for the women, Zhu Yuling's style of play is super impressive, her backhand is amazing. She won singles competitions in last years world jr championships, despite being like 2-3 years younger than Kasumi Ishikawa

YosuaYosan
11-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I hope a non-Asian would win the men singles.
It seems that Kasumi will win the womens.

Steven
11-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Isn't Lin Gaoyuan that guy who keeps screaming your ears off after every point? Like, the male version of Scozs?

WiWa
11-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Isn't Lin Gaoyuan that guy who keeps screaming your ears off after every point? Like, the male version of Scozs?

Yep. That's him. But players often lose that when they get older, so hopefully he will too :P. As a new representative of China you have a lot to prove though, so it is understandable.

YosuaYosan
11-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Yep. That's him. But players often lose that when they get older, so hopefully he will too :P. As a new representative of China you have a lot to prove though, so it is understandable.

Classy answer there WiWa :D

Federer in his younger times was also very vocal :)
Now he barely shows any emotion haha

WiWa
11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Ishikawa lost her match in the teams final 3-0 to the Chinese Zhu Yuling... Anyone ever heard about Zhu Yuling? :O

scylla24
11-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Ishikawa lost her match in the teams final 3-0 to the Chinese Zhu Yuling... Anyone ever heard about Zhu Yuling? :O

Yeah, like my earlier post, Zhu Yuling, is like the most promising young female player out there. In last years world championships, Zhu Yuling lost to Kasumi in the team match 2-3, but in the singles match, she 4-0 kasumi. This despite the fact that Kasumi is 2-3 years older than her.

WiWa
11-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, like my earlier post, Zhu Yuling, is like the most promising young female player out there. In last years world championships, Zhu Yuling lost to Kasumi in the team match 2-3, but in the singles match, she 4-0 kasumi. This despite the fact that Kasumi is 2-3 years older than her.

Okay, that is quite exceptional indeed. Didn't Ishikawa give the current Chinese women team trouble in the World Team Cup?

Matt Hetherington
11-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Ishikawa is a pretty reasonable force. Japan's juniors are performing pretty well and in the mens specifically France has some great juniors in Gauzy and Robinot. It all depends on whether they can convert being the top players in Europe to being class acts against the whole world, so really whether they can perform against Asia. Robinot got off to a good start :P

PlasmaLight
11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
wow koki niwa lost both games against china. hope, that he will do better in the singles

Dan
11-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Mens Team Final!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4rhGl4SH4&feature=youtu.be

Womens Team Final!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7noD9I7AoU

Dan
11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
All the matches in our media library from the World Junior Table Tennis Championships in amazing quality!! Click HERE (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/media.php?do=category&cid=79)

dici
11-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Okay, that is quite exceptional indeed. Didn't Ishikawa give the current Chinese women team trouble in the World Team Cup?

To me, Kasumin looks like still need to improve her mental toughness. She has been not so consistence lately. But hopefuly she can pull out an exceptional performance for the single match. Go Kasumin!

YosuaYosan
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Look @ one of the vid :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmNpqDwzJBs

Robinot get owned by an ex-doubleinverted chopper (now he is using TSP spinpips).
Heck, his chops are very deep and spinny ! But a bit high.

Dan
11-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Look @ one of the vid :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmNpqDwzJBs

Robinot get owned by an ex-doubleinverted chopper (now he is using TSP spinpips).

Cool post! He is an awesome chopper its great to see one competing at the highest Junior level possible! :)

Table Tennis is such a diverse game! 3 weeks ago Robinot has the match of his life beating current Olympic Champion Ma Lin, next minute he loses here hehe

Congratulations to Yuto tho, fine perfomance

YosuaYosan
11-16-2011, 08:13 PM
And he is the only victor in the Japan vs China team match.
Victory for China 2-1 shame Koki Niwa got beaten by Lin Gaoyuan.

Compared to another fellow teammate, Yuto has a tall build and scary full arm loop. Got hopes for him :)

dici
11-16-2011, 08:25 PM

I was watching a little bit on the girl team japan vs china. It seems like it just the japan team's chopper still not yet fully improve their chopping. But both boy and girl's chopper are the only one gave the china team some hard time. Hopefully they will improve the skill further more in the future.

I can see that if they are able to keep the ball low and high as they intend, this should give more threat to opponent.

WiWa
11-16-2011, 08:29 PM
That chopper is amazing indeed. Maybe he chops high purposely to challenge his opponent to attack reckless ;) There's a load of backspin in them and they are often pretty long, so not smashable at all. I really hope we get to see him more often in the future, he is only 15 years old!!

scylla24
11-16-2011, 09:22 PM
wow koki niwa lost both games against china. hope, that he will do better in the singles

Hmm I feel like a lot of people are really overrating Niwa Koki. Just like they did with Kenta Matsudaira. I definitely think Niwa is better, and has overall a style of play that has more potential than Kenta's but at the moment, unless Niwa gets a lot bigger/stronger, I don't think he is necessarily deserving of all the respect he is getting.

His reaction rate, his quickness are definitely absolutely amazing, his timing to get back shots that his opponents hit from mid range, while he is standing right at the table, is really something, but you can definitely see that there is a limit to his game. His match against Simon Gauzy really showed that. Despite pushing Simon back from the table in almost every point, he still had a lot of trouble putting away the point, and Simon was able to stay in the point for a long time, or even win the point with a good loop. As players get older and have higher quality of shots, its going to be harder and harder for Koki to rely on his current play style. He may do good against particular styles of play, or even against most styles of play, but it will still have large weaknesses, that the truly elite players just don't really have in their games.

WiWa
11-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Hmm I feel like a lot of people are really overrating Niwa Koki. Just like they did with Kenta Matsudaira. I definitely think Niwa is better, and has overall a style of play that has more potential than Kenta's but at the moment, unless Niwa gets a lot bigger/stronger, I don't think he is necessarily deserving of all the respect he is getting.

His reaction rate, his quickness are definitely absolutely amazing, his timing to get back shots that people standing away from the table, while he is standing right at it, is really something, but you can definitely see that there is a limit to his game. His match against Simon Gauzy really showed that. Despite pushing Simon back from the table in almost every point, he still had a lot of trouble putting away the point, and Simon was able to stay in the point for a long time, or even win the point with a good loop. As players get older and have higher quality of shots, its going to be harder and harder for Koki to rely on his current play style. He may do good against particular styles of play, or even against most styles of play, but it will still have large weaknesses, that the truly elite players just don't really have in their games.

I think he needs to get more power in his strokes as well. If he gets the power on his strokes that some of his opponents get he defenitely has something extra with the things u mention, like his reaction speed and anticipation. In the end there are barely any Japanese top players with really powerful stroks in fact. I'm curious about his future, I hope he will do well. :)

scylla24
11-16-2011, 09:51 PM
And he is the only victor in the Japan vs China team match.
Victory for China 2-1 shame Koki Niwa got beaten by Lin Gaoyuan.

Compared to another fellow teammate, Yuto has a tall build and scary full arm loop. Got hopes for him :)

To be fair, the game went to five, and part of the reason why he won was because his opponent Zheng happened to be the youngest member of the Chinese team. So he had the least amount of experience, and probably the necessary strength and fitness to play well against a chopper

WiWa
11-16-2011, 09:58 PM
To be fair, the game went to five, and part of the reason why he won was because his opponent Zheng happened to be the youngest member of the Chinese team. So he had the least amount of experience, and probably the necessary strength and fitness to play well against a chopper

Yuto won 4/4 matches in the Team Event. 3 of them 3-0 (including his match against Robinot) and 3-1 against Zheng, where he had 2 matchpoints in the game he lost. Of course he only played against #3's, but it is still really good. He is only 15 years old as well, so age and experience wouldn't work as an excuse for Zheng I think. Would be interesting to see him against Song Hongyuan or Lin Gaoyuan.

Dan
11-16-2011, 10:20 PM

His reaction rate, his quickness are definitely absolutely amazing, his timing to get back shots that his opponents hit from mid range, while he is standing right at the table, is really something, but you can definitely see that there is a limit to his game. His match against Simon Gauzy really showed that. Despite pushing Simon back from the table in almost every point, he still had a lot of trouble putting away the point, and Simon was able to stay in the point for a long time, or even win the point with a good loop. As players get older and have higher quality of shots, its going to be harder and harder for Koki to rely on his current play style. He may do good against particular styles of play, or even against most styles of play, but it will still have large weaknesses, that the truly elite players just don't really have in their games.

Funny you have said this Scylla. I was thinking how he may end up being the new Kenta. Very very promising when we first see him in action however...

Koki Niwa is extremely good and has amazing reactions and counter hits, but if he doesn't get stronger and grow he may reach his peak soon?

He is still young so we need to take that into consideration :)

Dan
11-17-2011, 04:49 PM
What a match once again from the Japanese defender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbK_5wmZi0&feature=feedu

david93fcb
11-17-2011, 05:13 PM
That boy got himself a new fan!
What an amazing chopper, he reminds me of my own playing style.

Scorpnox
11-17-2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZIl6PzC9A&feature=feedu

What a footwork from this young guy , Song Hongyuan is his name :)
His forehand is deadly!

Dan
11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Liam Pitchford was the hunter, now he becomes the hunted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHmAgZxJSg&feature=player_embedded#!

YosuaYosan
11-17-2011, 07:42 PM
For knowledge and info purpose, here is a thread in another forum about Yuto.
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14108

scylla24
11-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Yuto won 4/4 matches in the Team Event. 3 of them 3-0 (including his match against Robinot) and 3-1 against Zheng, where he had 2 matchpoints in the game he lost. Of course he only played against #3's, but it is still really good. He is only 15 years old as well, so age and experience wouldn't work as an excuse for Zheng I think. Would be interesting to see him against Song Hongyuan or Lin Gaoyuan.

Well it is true that they are about the same age, I personally believe that the physical demands of being a chopper are less, and therefore, at that young age, when your muscles and strength are not as well developed as they otherwise would be, choppers have more of an advantage. Its takes a lot less physical exertion to chop a shot than to really loop it up to over come the extreme backspin, and that built up after a few games can take its toll.

I don't think Yuto would be as effective against the other two Chinese players who played in the final.

WiWa
11-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Well it is true that they are about the same age, I personally believe that the physical demands of being a chopper are less, and therefore, at that young age, when your muscles and strength are not as well developed as they otherwise would be, choppers have more of an advantage. Its takes a lot less physical exertion to chop a shot than to really loop it up to over come the extreme backspin, and that built up after a few games can take its toll.

I don't think Yuto would be as effective against the other two Chinese players who played in the final.

That's true. Maybe he can meet them in the singles event. Still he is an interesting player. :) I would love to see him following in Joo's footsteps.

scylla24
11-17-2011, 08:39 PM
That's true. Maybe he can meet them in the singles event. Still he is an interesting player. :) I would love to see him following in Joo's footsteps.

Oh yeah definitely, he seems already quite accomplished at making the transition from chopping to then smashing a high loop of his opponent. That's a skill that Joo only really started to become quite decent at in the past 2 years or so. So this Yuto kid, if he got really good at it, he would be potentially unstoppable. I mean if you really think about it, if some player was able to master both offensive and defensive play really well, he would be soooooo insanely hard to beat. Because every time his opponent gains the advantage and is able to attack first, he merely has to chop it to take away that advantage and reach an equal footing, and then if his offensive skills were also good, he would be able to move from that neutral position in the point to the positive offensive position. If you could master that skill, you would be able to greatly control each point and greatly increase your potential to win each point.

In addition, technically the physics behind chopping, which adds spin to your opponent's spin, is harder to do perfectly than a normal top spin hit, since a top spin first stops your opponent's spin and then adds your own, therefore if you were to master chopping to a level that hasn't been reached before, conceptually, chopping since its harder to master but therefore creates more spin, it should be the most effective style of play. Even though thus far the real world has shown differently.

WiWa
11-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Oh yeah definitely, he seems already quite accomplished at making the transition from chopping to then smashing a high loop of his opponent. That's a skill that Joo only really started to become quite decent at in the past 2 years or so. So this Yuto kid, if he got really good at it, he would be potentially unstoppable. I mean if you really think about it, if some player was able to master both offensive and defensive play really well, he would be soooooo insanely hard to beat. Because every time his opponent gains the advantage and is able to attack first, he merely has to chop it to take away that advantage and reach an equal footing, and then if his offensive skills were also good, he would be able to move from that neutral position in the point to the positive offensive position. If you could master that skill, you would be able to greatly control each point and greatly increase your potential to win each point.

In addition, technically the physics behind chopping, which adds spin to your opponent's spin, is harder to do perfectly than a normal top spin hit, since a top spin first stops your opponent's spin and then adds your own, therefore if you were to master chopping to a level that hasn't been reached before, conceptually, chopping since its harder to master but therefore creates more spin, it should be the most effective style of play. Even though thus far the real world has shown differently.

In my team is actually a player who is kinda equal in defense and offense. He uses 2x Sriver G2 I believe or something like that. On both his chops and his loops (FH and BH) he gets great spin. Sometimes he would start a match chopping and the next game go in full offense. The opponent won't know what is happening :P Really hard to play against. I believe this Yuto uses 2x smooth rubber as well.

YosuaYosan
11-18-2011, 08:02 AM
In my team is actually a player who is kinda equal in defense and offense. He uses 2x Sriver G2 I believe or something like that. On both his chops and his loops (FH and BH) he gets great spin. Sometimes he would start a match chopping and the next game go in full offense. The opponent won't know what is happening :P Really hard to play against. I believe this Yuto uses 2x smooth rubber as well.

Now he is using TSP Spinpips with 1.0mm chop sponge.

Dan
11-18-2011, 12:38 PM
The last 32 of the Junior Boys Singles will commence today, some very good matches. In the next few rounds this competition is going to get very tough!

MrTralphT
11-18-2011, 02:00 PM
I think Song will dominate in all categories !

Dan
11-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Mixed doubles quarter final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_GgpMaVdw&feature=feedu

harrybelafonte
11-18-2011, 06:12 PM
china

UpSideDownCarl
11-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Exciting to see the kids coming up.

PlasmaLight
11-18-2011, 10:51 PM
japans chooper is awesome. the next joo se hyuk. i really like to see him playing. very smart game and forhand attacks!!

Steven
11-19-2011, 10:42 AM
GAUZY Simon / ROBINOT Quentin vs LIN Gaoyuan / WU Jiaji 4-2. ^^ They're up against SONG Hongyuan / ZHENG Peifeng in the final.

Dan
11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Englands Liam Pitchford beat World no. 102 Jiaji Wu by 4 games to 2!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

YosuaYosan
11-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Englands Liam Pitchford beat World no. 102 Jiaji Wu by 4 games to 2!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

That guy Liam is soooo boss XD

Dan
11-19-2011, 04:51 PM
That guy Liam is soooo boss XD

Yeah what a win!

heres the match :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0xzJrv43I&feature=player_embedded#!

Dan
11-19-2011, 04:52 PM
What a doubles match this is! The French boys are through to the final!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndu7UFf5WE0&feature=feedu

Dan
11-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Quarter Final results of the Boy's Singles!

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/quarterfinal.jpg

Very interesting results! Only 1 Chinese player in the semi final. I'm looking forward to Koki Niwa vs Quentin Robinot!

My predictions of the semi finals below... What are your predictions?

Koki Niwa to win 4-2 over Quentin and Lin Gaoyuan to win 4-3 over Maharu Yoshimura.

YosuaYosan
11-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Go go Robinot :D
The only European !

GECA
11-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah what a win!

heres the match :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0xzJrv43I&feature=player_embedded#!

Amazing angle and quality,thanks a lot Dan!

Another good match for you guys(5:30!) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrKoWW9PqbM

PlasmaLight
11-19-2011, 07:35 PM
argh robinot vs. niwa .... should be the final :/
still hope, that koki wins :D

Steven
11-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Just hope Lin doesn't win. :p But it would be awesome if Robinot made it to the final.

YosuaYosan
11-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Eh : 0
Is my eye wrong or Gauzy use a penhold/different grip for serving?

Btw I love his chops and sidespin play :)
I thought yesterday about adding lots of spin variation to my game and today I look @ Simon Gauzy. Awesome :D

waldner4ever
11-20-2011, 09:53 AM
What a match Quentin Robinot vs Koki Niwa in the semi finals!!!!
I am hopeful for the future of european tt! and france TT!!

blahness
11-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Forget Jun Mizutani, Maharu Yoshimura is the future of Japanese table tennis. He's the only one of the non-Chinese that has power and near-table technique comparable to the Chinese. He already has a really powerful BH and FH,coupled with pretty speedy footwork I would say... Besides that he has a really powerful BH over-the-table loop similar to Zhang Jike's. A bit more finesse and feel, coupled with more precision and nastier placement, and he would be a huge threat to the Chinese in the future. He might also consider going to the gym and working on those muscles...:p If Japan were smart, they should include him in the team squad for Japan next time. This is the kind of guy which might have a chance of taking down Wang Hao, ZJK and Ma Long.

YosuaYosan
11-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Epic matches and wow what a prospect TT has with those great players :)

PlasmaLight
11-20-2011, 11:32 AM
awesome mixed finale! :)

YosuaYosan
11-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Don't want that prince of cho to win >:-(

UpSideDownCarl
11-20-2011, 12:50 PM
The semi finals were pretty close. Either one could have gone either way. I am looking forward to the finals. Unfortunately I will not be able to watch till I get home from work.

Dan
11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Junior Finals at the VOLKSWAGEN World Junior Table Tennis Championships will be between:

Girls: Chen Meng (CHN) v Zhu Yuling (CHN)

Boys: Koki Niwa (JPN) v Lin Gaoyuan (CHN)

What are your predictions?

UpSideDownCarl
11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Robinot looks good.

Dan
11-20-2011, 12:54 PM
SONG Hongyuan / CHEN Meng VOLKSWAGEN World Junior Champions, Mixed Doubles Champions as they beat ZHENG Peifeng CHN / GU Yuting CHN (2-4): 11-7, 7-11, 7-11, 7-11, 11-8, 9-11

They beat ZHENG Peifeng CHN / GU Yuting CHN (2-4): 11-7, 7-11, 7-11, 7-11, 11-8, 9-11

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/mixjc.jpg

Dan
11-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Robinot looks good.

He played incredible! I really thought Robinot was going to win!

PlasmaLight
11-20-2011, 04:23 PM
who said that koki will win? it was me ... muahahha
really nice game. i think lin was the better topspin player, but koki was smarter. someone know his service? its awesome. lin had so much problems.

Steven
11-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Koki Niwa wins against Lin Gaoyuan 4-2!!
Great match, pretty close, but I think Koki was just more consistent on both sides while Lin could only break through with a powerful FH. Love his technique and style, it really fits his close-to-table play. :)

Dan
11-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Koki Niwa wins against Lin Gaoyuan 4-2!!
Great match, pretty close, but I think Koki was just more consistent on both sides while Lin could only break through with a powerful FH. Love his technique and style, it really fits his close-to-table play. :)

Awesome I cannot wait to watch this match! Im happy for Niwa! :)

Heres his semi final match against Robinot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esaH8TJp1o8&feature=feedlik

PlasmaLight
11-20-2011, 04:42 PM
koki has a little bit of waldner i think. he has an unbelievable touch and view. but he often wants to play with his opponent. but then, when he is under pressure he is doing well and plays great shots :)

Dan
11-20-2011, 05:38 PM
He deserved it! Such fine display!

http://tabletennista.com/up/posts/koki-niwa-2010-8-23-8-31-26.365x265.jpg
Photo by: newshopper.sulekha.com

Our article here (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/content.php?365-Koki-Niwa-is-the-World-Junior-Champion-2011!)

Mr. RicharD
11-20-2011, 10:49 PM
I agree Koki was playing spectacular. Against Quentin he really stepped it up and agains Lin he just really played smart. I have to agree with many here that this guy looks as calm as Timo, as explosive as Kong, and as smart with his touch as Waldner. I think we're going to see great things for this guy.

Michal_Z
11-20-2011, 10:59 PM
The thing I like most is, that.. After I saw what chinese did in women (girl) part, where semis were pure chinese thing,
here CHINA DIDNT GET GOLD!

Nice to see! :)

Dan
11-20-2011, 11:12 PM
The World Junior Final 2011 in HD! What a final!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKeU5nY_lX0&feature=feedu

janus
11-20-2011, 11:49 PM
(JBS-Final) NIWA Koki - LIN Gaoyuan [Full Match|Short Form]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU0TbP35C5s
--enjoy!!!

PlasmaLight
11-21-2011, 12:13 AM
hm lin tries to become a supersayajin i think ;)
its nice to see, that japanese can laugh and smile. above all the trainer. i think if chine had won, there would be a chhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooaaaaaaaaa and a short handshake with the trainer.
and i dont like, that lin let some space between the other players on the podium ... doesnt look great ...

Mr. RicharD
11-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Try to watch the second one guys ttcountenance's variation is so annoying with 2 different commentators in two different languages going on. So it's really hard to watch the game with them yelling.

I honestly have to say that this umpire is such a bad caller. I watched the services and they both do the exact same thing every time and he just calls random illegal services whenever he feels like it. He is above the table and on the sideline meaning that his perspective is the ABSOLUTE worst position to judge a service. So I gotta say shouldn't something be done about this?

@ plasma - yeah that isn't Lin's fault. They had some really wide podiums and with the 2 players in the Bronze it looks like he's pretty far away when he's actually close to Niwa than Quentin is.

Bryce
11-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Congratulations to Koki! Thank god he doesn't cho that loud like Lin. Maybe Lin will do something like Zjk when he wins one.

dici
11-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Try to watch the second one guys ttcountenance's variation is so annoying with 2 different commentators in two different languages going on. So it's really hard to watch the game with them yelling.

I honestly have to say that this umpire is such a bad caller. I watched the services and they both do the exact same thing every time and he just calls random illegal services whenever he feels like it. He is above the table and on the sideline meaning that his perspective is the ABSOLUTE worst position to judge a service. So I gotta say shouldn't something be done about this?

It just depends on how much the horizontal distance traveled by the ball. All the time the fault got called when the ball horizontal distance exceed a limit. You can see that the umpire will not call if the ball travels like 6-9inches horizontally. But when it gets to like 1 foot and more, he calls it. But I did not pay attention to all serve, so not sure if any serve that has similar horizontal travel distance didn't get a call or not.

However, I was impressed that the other umpire did not say anything. Because usually I thought that the decision should made by the umpire who at the open body side. Which you can see that the umpire only call the fault on the player who is at his left. Practically, which the player's body definitely block the umpire's view of serve.

blahness
11-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Although it was Koki Niwa who won the finals, I believe that Maharu Yoshimura will go a lot further in his career than Koki. Koki's style is too much like Jun Mizutani's, too weak in power to do any damage against the likes of the top Chinese players, and not even against Boll or Samsonov. Maharu has unbelievably dangerous technique which puts huge amount of pressure on his opponents, which will truly shine when he learns to reduce the amount of unforced errors he makes.

YosuaYosan
11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Great to see Koki Niwa win :)

WiWa
11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Great to see Koki Niwa win :)

Indeed. In the Junior Circuit where almost all top players rely on speed and power, it is amazing to see the one player relying more on tactics and mental toughness prevail. I think Koki's playing style also makes him more 'durable' than his power-/speedbased fellow junior players.

rhonis
11-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Congrats to koki, but how can he win? The chinese guy has much better technique. How small is he 1,50m? His knee-angle is straight, he is standing upright. You see in the strong top-spin rally's he is not getting good enough under the ball sometimes. He wins i think because he is smarter and his serv is better. Also his backhand is better.

WiWa
11-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Congrats to koki, but how can he win? The chinese guy has much better technique. How small is he 1,50m? His knee-angle is straight, he is standing upright. You see in the strong top-spin rally's he is not getting good enough under the ball sometimes. He wins i think because he is smarter and his serv is better. Also his backhand is better.
His anticipation and block are very strong as well. That is a pro combination. Proven effective before by Oh Sang Eun and Samsonov. It allows a bit more passive approach to the match. And besides that, Lin has a very long swing for his FH while Koki has a short arm motion. It is not as strong, but it gives him the ability to recover faster and stay close to the table, outplacing Lin and taking over when he gets the opportunity.

YosuaYosan
11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
His anticipation and block are very strong as well. That is a pro combination. Proven effective before by Oh Sang Eun and Samsonov. It allows a bit more passive approach to the match. And besides that, Lin has a very long swing for his FH while Koki has a short arm motion. It is not as strong, but it gives him the ability to recover faster and stay close to the table, outplacing Lin and taking over when he gets the opportunity.

On the other side I think he can't be number one just by blocks and good anticipation.
He need to develop killer shots too..

WiWa
11-22-2011, 06:03 PM
On the other side I think he can't be number one just by blocks and good anticipation.
He need to develop killer shots too..

I think his current technique with more power as he gets a bit older could be sufficient to score direct points at world level. Especially since he is good at setting up opportunities for himself, with some good placement he needs less power. But it isn't easy indeed, I would love it if his style could make it to the world top though.

scylla24
11-23-2011, 04:01 AM

haha i just thought i would point out the fact that, the two people who you said have proven the effectiveness of that particular style of play both happen to be two of the tallest top players out there.... haha

But yeah, Niwa's timing, reaction rate is out of this world. His ability to hit the ball really early and give the opponent very little reaction time is more similar to what a penhold player's playstyle should be than a shakehand player.

Overall, even than Niwa would win, I feel like Lin has the much more impressive gave, and has a far higher ceiling in terms of potential, than what Niwa currently has.

scylla24
11-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Just as a side note, I see a lot of potential in Zheng Peifeng. He is one of the youngest players there, so he didn't have the best outcome. But just from watching a player play, you can often tell which ones have the talent and the potential and which ones doesn't. Just like watching Ma Long play in the world jrs. you could just tell that he was going to be impressive.

Watching Zheng Peifeng, I got the same sense. His in game decisions, his shots, and biggest of all, his touch, was really really impressive. Despite him being only 15 or younger, his game impressed me much more than Wu Jiaji, the other penholder on the Chinese team. And thats probably why he was chosen to play in the final and not Wu. I definitely think Zheng has a lot of potential to become the next great penholder after Xu Xin, especially if he grows taller as he gets older.

judah000
04-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Almost all chinese player crouch when they serve... Why do they do that?