H3 unboosted = problem??!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hey everyone!
I have been thinking about this for quite a while and want to know what you say. I am a fan of chinese rubber for about 2 years now, trying different types. First i was a fan of H3 Neo but now i am not sure anymore. My problem is this big lack of catapult. And i know, thats what chinese rubbers are about, but i have even problems when getting warm with drives from half distance. Especially with the plastic ball. Now ive noticed more and more people who are sayig that all this rubbers are meant for boosting... In an interview Timo Boll was saying that if chinese players would make their topspins with his racket they would not even get to the other half of the table. And if you watch ma long and fan zhendong training the ball seems to have an enourmas catapult even when driving with little movement. I know they are all pros and way better than me.
Bit does it make sence to use a type of rubber that is completly different then everything a pro uses? Isnt this the wrong way?
Or is there a way to compensate? A faster blade? Or maybe sanwei target national maybe? Or anything else on the market?
Thanks for your answers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
It's a lot about technique, believe me. Some friends I know play with something like Hexer Duro in 1.8 on BH and play Verbandsliga with 1800 TTR / 2300 USATT. Their backhand loops are absolute rockets.

While it is true that an OFF blade and boosted H3 is faster what you are using right now you can generate a lot of speed by using your hip for example and playing forwards instead of upwards when looping.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
I think it depends on the level of your opponents. Untill a relatively high level you can win many matches if your first loop is on the table and strong enough. If you get to a higher level where you have to be able to loop multiple times in a row, boost can help, because it allows a shorter stroke. The boost also adds catapult and so decreases control, so it's not all good.

Well, that's one opinion, there surely are many other aspects about this.

Reactions: suds79
H3N has higher spin & speed ceiling and better in table control.

But the to reach the ceiling requires a good technique with power to achieve.

For small - mid power, tensor rubbers can generate high speed & spin than H3N.

But tensor rubber has lower ceiling, that's to say, once you reach some certain power, you can't increase the speed&spin using tensor rubber by increasing power. But H3N can.

But if you don't boost H3N, H3N tend to worse than tensor rubber in spin & speed.

Unboosted h3n feels harder to lift the ball.

For a simple comparison, if you have a H3N that has been played for 2-3 month. Get another new sheet of H3N provincial (never recommend commercial H3N).

Ask a coach to feed you same backspin, try with your old H3N first (which the neo effect has faded away in the 2-3 month time). Then change to the new H3N Provincial, trust, you can instantly feel the difference of boosted and unboosted. It will be instantly so easy to lift the ball and so controllable.

But after all, it still strongly depend on your skill and technique, it might be better for you to post a video of yourself. Then we might be able to tell you whether a unboosted or boosted or tensor rubber suits you.

Last edited:
Reactions: RidTheKid
The higher your level becomes and the better your skills develop, Chinese rubbers will become a handicap if you do not boost them since they have a limit up to a certain level where you can maximize your shots up to a certain point.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Usually the guys who use H3 effectively are using a lot of boost oil on their rubbers. But you also do need pretty good technique to get the most out of those rubbers.

If you are using those rubbers, is there a reason you are not boosting also?

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
if someone like me doesnt want to boost that rubber, what are the alternatives?
some softer sponge like 3-50 or 3-60?
or tensor?

btw. which tensor are the most linear (with the most less catapult)?
how about hurricane 8?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
on contrary i'd ask for a rubber which is good without any boost at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Tenergy 05 then or maybe MXP. They are different but those are the top level rubbers you can get. If you really need those to play your best game - that’s a different story.

under a certain level you don’t play Tenergy, Tenergy plays you.

Edit: of course hurricane is a lot different to Tenergy 05 but the more you boost the smaller the difference gets. It’s never the same but both 05 and MXP are no catapult monsters unlike some tensors.

Last edited:
if someone like me doesnt want to boost that rubber, what are the alternatives?
some softer sponge like 3-50 or 3-60?

In China we use Vega China and Tihbar K1 PRO as options for H3N which doesn't need boosting. 3-50 and 3-60 are better for BH

How about Dianchi Type D?

Some professional players and coaches commented that it is quite similar to boosted H3N Provincial.

DianchiD is heavily factory boosted. And the boost effect fades fast. You need to boost it after a month.
it’s similar but no better than H3N

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
thank you for the advice.
do u have an opinion about the H8?
do u think vega china + 3-60 gonna be a good combo?