What do you think about my play? (Full Match Video)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
actually all of ur shots (flat hitting forehand) can be easily to loop kill .
*the stroke (forehand too much flat hitting ) it's a bad habbit
because of ur bad habbit u should do shadow training
and ur bad habbit effects ur forehand loop
ur coach talk to u about the correct forehand stroke look at 3:34

note: ur coach is watching u , and i think he knew all ur failures , so ask him .

and after see this video , according to ur post ( u lost to a kid ) , the kid won because of ur forehand stroke , and the kid is actually better than u , then u should improve , shadow training and etc.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
and with this skills , i think u can't win the provincial tournament. If u could send us ur video against the kid , it would be great, because it will tell us how bad ur skills are.
i'm just telling the truth, u must improve , for the basic , do shadow training first .

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Your backhand seems to be the punchy/blocky kind. It's pretty good for your level. Your forehand needs work though. I'd say you should work on looping the ball and using it more when you play, since it is a much more reliable attack than hitting.

Also, as a left handed player, you should try using your forehand more. Forehand attacks are more useful in the long run.

This user has no status.
Your backhand seems to be the punchy/blocky kind. It's pretty good for your level. Your forehand needs work though. I'd say you should work on looping the ball and using it more when you play, since it is a much more reliable attack than hitting.

Also, as a left handed player, you should try using your forehand more. Forehand attacks are more useful in the long run.
My forehand topspins are so fast and spinny when training. But in the real match I can't use it. I am hitting flat or blocking more often. How can I solve this problem?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
My forehand topspins are so fast and spinny when training. But in the real match I can't use it. I am hitting flat or blocking more often. How can I solve this problem?

Step 1: you have to be confident in that you won't miss.

Step 2: consciously try to use in in practice game scenario. do practice points over and over again and use it every time, even if you miss

Step 3: consciously try to use it in a real game

Step 4: keep doing it until you don't have to think about it anymore

This user has no status.
Step 1: you have to be confident in that you won't miss.

Step 2: consciously try to use in in practice game scenario. do practice points over and over again and use it every time, even if you miss

Step 3: consciously try to use it in a real game

Step 4: keep doing it until you don't have to think about it anymore

Thanks! <3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I agree with the comments above.
My forehand topspins are so fast and spinny when training.
It is easy to believe you FH shots are fast but I doubt the spin is proportional to the speed.

But in the real match I can't use it.
Not against any low balls.

I am hitting flat or blocking more often. How can I solve this problem?
This is easy. Do a drill. The coach pushes long so you can loop the ball. The coach needs to put just enough back spin on the ball to make it challenging but not so much that you always miss. Here comes the "fun" part. At first you can't loop the ball until it drops below the height of the net. This will prevent you from flat hitting too fast and still keep the ball on the table.
After you are consistent with this you do the same thing except you can't loop the ball until it drops below table height.
When you get better at this the coach should increase the back spin but not so much that you always miss.
The coach should also be able to tell you when your looped balls are starting to jump out at him after the bounce. This means the spin relative to the speed is higher. The coach should be able to comment on you shots as to whether you are just lofting the ball back or looping. Looping takes timing. You need to change your stroke so you paddle starts behind your left knee ( for lefties ) and swing more up than across. This will make it possible to put more of the energy into spin relative to speed.

When you loop well, the balls will go low over the net and jump out low and fast at the opponent.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. The main points are there. Truthfully, you play pretty decently for someone who is not playing that long. You have done well together as good as you are in a short period of time.

The FH seems to be the big issue to work on. Once in a while the form is good. But most of the time the stroke is bad enough to say it is broken. Sometimes you don’t follow through and finish the stroke. Most of the time you end low. Most of the time you are using the FH to just put the ball back like you are not comfortable with the FH.

But still, you do a decently good job of keeping the ball on the table when your opponent has taken control of the offense.

I would actually say, Avigail skill that you should really focus on is opening the attack first with a powerful spinny loop.

It is rare that you open strong. Very few times. Most of when you open you are putting a slow, safe offensive shot that does not have much spin. Whereas, your opponent is looking to open the aggression.

However, you are pretty decent at responding when your opponent does open. So, it is worth recognizing that that is a valuable skill.

It is just that, if you play someone whose opening attack is a little stronger than this opponent, you will be losing 3-0 at -3 and -4.

But regardless, you are doing good work.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
Yep. The main points are there. Truthfully, you play pretty decently for someone who is not playing that long. You have done well together as good as you are in a short period of time.

The FH seems to be the big issue to work on. Once in a while the form is good. But most of the time the stroke is bad enough to say it is broken. Sometimes you don’t follow through and finish the stroke. Most of the time you end low. Most of the time you are using the FH to just put the ball back like you are not comfortable with the FH.

But still, you do a decently good job of keeping the ball on the table when your opponent has taken control of the offense.

I would actually say, Avigail skill that you should really focus on is opening the attack first with a powerful spinny loop.

It is rare that you open strong. Very few times. Most of when you open you are putting a slow, safe offensive shot that does not have much spin. Whereas, your opponent is looking to open the aggression.

However, you are pretty decent at responding when your opponent does open. So, it is worth recognizing that that is a valuable skill.

It is just that, if you play someone whose opening attack is a little stronger than this opponent, you will be losing 3-0 at -3 and -4.

But regardless, you are doing good work.

Thanks! I am playing only for a year and my opponent is U15 Nr.20 in Turkey. BTW I need to attack without fear isn't it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Is easy to see that you know how to do the strokes while trainning, your backhand is good, footwork isn't bad.I enjoyed a few points from both sides.
Take your time, still interested on the sport and be patient, because experience is one of the best qualities and only time in the table gives it.
My advice is to practice serves, think for a second where to place it, the spin you gonna put on it, where that spin will send the ball back, get ready for the 3rd ball and like others said, work on topspin and flick.
Dont play scared, you are trainning, enjoy it, play without fear and try to do beautifull strokes.You have the most important thing to became good, the illusion, even with some members trolling you in every post you are coming back with a video exposing yourself to that people.
Kind regards.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks! I am playing only for a year and my opponent is U15 Nr.20 in Turkey. BTW I need to attack without fear isn't it?

Well, it is more than that.

Some of your problem with attacking within the rallies, after your opponent has taken the initiative in the rally, is that you are not resetting fast enough which may also be why you tend to back up. It gives you time to at least make some shots when you are not in position to take the shot you want. The trouble with that is, taking a weak shot with a half stroke that just puts the ball back in play will get you in trouble against a player who is able to punish those weak shots.

So, I think you may be asking about something that has more to do with you going on defense and having a slightly slow reset and therefore just not even being set to take a good stroke at the ball. If that is the case, then of course you cannot attack aggressively and have confidence in the attacks. You are consistently on the defensive and not quite ready for what is coming at you.

Over time developing the skills of counterlooping your opponent’s power shots will help your development. Sometimes you can counterloop with a very compact stroke and use your opponent’s power. So with that, it might not be so much about aggressive attacks with confidence. It may be more about effective counterlooping skills.

But when your opponent pushed, you pushed back or make a weak opening shot to put the ball in play. On those, you are ready and in position, BUT you are not attacking.

Yogi actually said it too: there are so many serves and pushes that you simply do not loop even though that is what YOU SHOULD be doing.

If you actually want to get to a higher level, you cannot be passive all the time and always let your opponent take control of the offense; and then hope you can put enough easy balls back so that the opponent messes up.

If someone serves and the serve is loopable, you need to be looping those and looping them with power (spin, pace and placement). If someone pushes, you need to be looping most of those.

And if you push, it should be a surprise because of how many of the same ball you have looped. When your opponent is getting ready for your loop to come back because of how effective your opening loop has been, then dropping the ball short on a push is much more effective because the opponent has been shown that he has to respect the spin, pace and placement for of your openings.

I guess, last detail. And this is true for you and your opponent, you guys are missing on your serves way too much. It should be much less common that your opponent gets a point outright because you didn’t even put a serve in play.

Regardless of these details, you play quite well for how long you have been training seriously. You did a good job of posting video of a match where you are playing someone who may be a little better than you. A match where you are a little better than your opponent might be good to see as well.

Keep up the hard work.

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
It looks really strange, that match. Neither of you has a topspin.

The flat aggressive block is very effective and fast, good job training it with confidence. It will be a very good weapon against a player with good topspin after a bit of adjustment.

Learn to topspin is my advice, that's when the game actually starts

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
- do you have a coach ? I think you'll make a lot of progress. If its only 1 year of playing you're doing very good already, there are many good things, but at the same time many details - rather easy to correct - that make your technique wrong.

I'll be only giving you a few tips:

- for both FH and BH, try to play with a 1-2 tempo. It means don't do the following sequence: move into position, do the back swing, swing, recover balance. Count 1 (backswing)-2 loud (swing) when practising. drill (slowly) with no moving feet or arm in between counts.

(1) moving in position and taking the backswing must be simultaneous
(2) when swinging don't lose the balance and finish the stroke such that you're already recovering naturally (= don't make a too big swing such that you cannot recover in time if the ball comes back)

I see you too many times not having a proper backswing. look more at videos and your own videos.

- as many have said you are hitting the ball too flat. brush it more. Perhaps invest in a better racket if you can.

- matchplay: try more to stay close at the table.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
- do you have a coach ? I think you'll make a lot of progress. If its only 1 year of playing you're doing very good already, there are many good things, but at the same time many details - rather easy to correct - that make your technique wrong.

- for both FH and BH, try to play with a 1-2 tempo. It means don't do the following sequence: move into position, do the back swing, swing, recover balance. Count 1 (backswing)-2 loud (swing) when practising. drill (slowly) with no moving feet or arm in between counts.

(2) when swinging don't lose the balance and finish the stroke such that you're already recovering naturally (= don't make a too big swing such that you cannot recover in time if the ball comes back)

I see you too many times not having a proper backswing. look more at videos and your own videos.

- as many have said you are hitting the ball too flat. brush it more. Perhaps invest in a better racket if you can.

I think he has been playing for 5 years but for 1 year seriously; 4 years not seriously. That is my memory of things he has said in other threads.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Everyone knows I am a spin first ask questions later kinda dude, but a "Flat" game can be difficult to opponents too, if you have the touch and precision to land your flat shots.

I think playing a spin based game gives you more options for control, attack, variety, and safety, but that is my worthless opinion.

You can immediately improve 2-3 levels by practicing serves (after you get a serve lecture) 15 minutes a day for 6-9 months. That is probably the biggest easy gain you can make. You will need to change your impact and find a way to make a whip if you want to become a TT player who uses topspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017

I think the Hurricane Long 5 and Hurricane 3 neo he's supposed to be using is fast and spinny enough, maybe too much so.