Review: Skyline2 (TG2) blue sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I know TG2 is so ancient. After switching from H3 national blue sponge to this. I am so compelled to write this review. It is such a great rubber in the poly ball era (details below).

My style - penholder with two-wing loop. 70% of my attack comes from FH.

My setup:
  • Blade - Butterfly ZJK ALC
  • FH - TG2 blue sponge 39 treated with 3 layers of Seamoon oil
  • BH - H3-50 35 degree
  • note: from Chinese forums TG2 must be paired with a blade with hard top ply e.g. koto, rosewood. Otherwise it would be too slow.

Initial impression
TG2 is tackier than H3 for sure. 90% of tackiness remained after 9 months.

Service and return
I couldn't understand why Ma Lin used TG2 until I actually use it. People say H3 gives you very short and spinny serve. TG2 is another level up - shorter and spinnier due to harder topsheet. Short game placement is a breeze.

Flat hitting
Due to the harder topsheet, TG2 is less bouncy than H3. With the same impact TG2 gives less speed.

Top spin loop
This is where TG2 shines. Although it requires more effort than H3 to produce the same speed, the spin is insane. The arc is lower, trajectory is longer and drop after bounce is lower. Even experienced players struggle to adapt to my FH loop as it is very hard to block.

Counter loop

Again, TG2 requires more effort than H3. The timing needs to be precise because the risk of hitting the net is higher with TG2 (low arc). But once your shot lands on the other side, it is a dangerous shot. The spin is crazy.
If the impact is high enough, you would fully engage with the thick hard topsheet and the blue sponge. The catapult effect is enormous. The feeling is very similar to the old 40mm ball. I think TG2 can compensate for the spin loss in poly ball easily.
I have to produce a bigger and faster swing during counter loop. My recovery time suffers. Everything is a double-edged sword. With enough training I can compensate for it.

Looping against backspin
With lower arc it is more difficult with TG2. Timing needs to be more precise too.

Chopping

Easier with TG2 as it is less bouncy than H3.

Summary
TG2, although being a very old product of DHS, excels in poly ball era. It shines in service and return resulting in spinnier and shorter game than H3. The quality of the loop (more spin, lower arc, longer trajectory and lower drop after bounce) can exceed that produced by H3 if enough effort is put in. We just need to be mindful of a slower recovery time with TG2. However, nothing is impossible with training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I know TG2 is so ancient. After switching from H3 national blue sponge to this. I am so compelled to write this review. It is such a great rubber in the poly ball era (details below).

My style - penholder with two-wing loop. 70% of my attack comes from FH.

My setup:
  • Blade - Butterfly ZJK ALC
  • FH - TG2 blue sponge 39 treated with 3 layers of Seamoon oil
  • BH - H3-50 35 degree
  • note: from Chinese forums TG2 must be paired with a blade with hard top ply e.g. koto, rosewood. Otherwise it would be too slow.

Initial impression
TG2 is tackier than H3 for sure. 90% of tackiness remained after 9 months.

Service and return
I couldn't understand why Ma Lin used TG2 until I actually use it. People say H3 gives you very short and spinny serve. TG2 is another level up - shorter and spinnier due to harder topsheet. Short game placement is a breeze.

Flat hitting
Due to the harder topsheet, TG2 is less bouncy than H3. With the same impact TG2 gives less speed.

Top spin loop
This is where TG2 shines. Although it requires more effort than H3 to produce the same speed, the spin is insane. The arc is lower, trajectory is longer and drop after bounce is lower. Even experienced players struggle to adapt to my FH loop as it is very hard to block.

Counter loop

Again, TG2 requires more effort than H3. The timing needs to be precise because the risk of hitting the net is higher with TG2 (low arc). But once your shot lands on the other side, it is a dangerous shot. The spin is crazy.
If the impact is high enough, you would fully engage with the thick hard topsheet and the blue sponge. The catapult effect is enormous. The feeling is very similar to the old 40mm ball. I think TG2 can compensate for the spin loss in poly ball easily.
I have to produce a bigger and faster swing during counter loop. My recovery time suffers. Everything is a double-edged sword. With enough training I can compensate for it.

Looping against backspin
With lower arc it is more difficult with TG2. Timing needs to be more precise too.

Chopping

Easier with TG2 as it is less bouncy than H3.

Summary
TG2, although being a very old product of DHS, excels in poly ball era. It shines in service and return resulting in spinnier and shorter game than H3. The quality of the loop (more spin, lower arc, longer trajectory and lower drop after bounce) can exceed that produced by H3 if enough effort is put in. We just need to be mindful of a slower recovery time with TG2. However, nothing is impossible with training.

I wanted to buy the TG2 in prott, but was sold out, where did you get it?. In the end i bought the H3 provincial blue sponge(number 22), so far is good, but i really wanted the TG2.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I just made a paddle with TG2 on the fore hand and Sriver EL on the back, all glued to a Man Lin Extra Offensive. I have to say, I haven't noticed a significant increase in spin in my game, but people have been commenting on the massive amounts of spin, and I have been scoring more service aces.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I wanted to buy the TG2 in prott, but was sold out, where did you get it?. In the end i bought the H3 provincial blue sponge(number 22), so far is good, but i really wanted the TG2.

I know it's so annoying. I asked the owner he said all TG2 blue sponge is out of stock. Should check with him when it will come back in stock.

Just a side note, the commercial Neo TG2 is rubbish. Very very dead. Little catapult effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I just made a paddle with TG2 on the fore hand and Sriver EL on the back, all glued to a Man Lin Extra Offensive. I have to say, I haven't noticed a significant increase in spin in my game, but people have been commenting on the massive amounts of spin, and I have been scoring more service aces.

I wouldn't be surprised. Very excellent rubber in service.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Yes I do. I don't play tournament as I don't have time. The TG2 blue sponge is designed for boosting otherwise it would be as dead as a brick.

I use Haifu Seamoon booster oil.
I boost too :D and completely agree with you. Just was curious about your background

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
i have played tg2 BS neo and not neo version for long time .... and i have also detailed video from unpacking ...
I liked the non neo version better with boosting . I stop using them because the recovery time was long and out of positions shots are hard with chinese stile rubbers .IMHO if someone is fit enough then is the great choice of rubber for FH
I switched to TARGET PRO GT-H47 and i have no needs to change playing stile , but i have more variety of shots now... give it a try when your back will hurt like mine did with TG2.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
i have played tg2 BS neo and not neo version for long time .... and i have also detailed video from unpacking ...
I liked the non neo version better with boosting . I stop using them because the recovery time was long and out of positions shots are hard with chinese stile rubbers .IMHO if someone is fit enough then is the great choice of rubber for FH
I switched to TARGET PRO GT-H47 and i have no needs to change playing stile , but i have more variety of shots now... give it a try when your back will hurt like mine did with TG2.
During a power loop I could feel my back muscle was pulled to its limit just before it's torn.

I have done tons of core exercise since and I am better with TG2. I understand why XX style goes well with TG2.

Passionate about TT

Reactions: bobpuls