Rasant Grip Replacement

This user has no status.
Hi guys, I was using Rasant Grip 1.7 on my backhand with innerforce ZLC.

After Andro discontinued Grip, I have tried all variations of rasanter series and V47 1.7 seems to be closest in speed and rebound but I am not happy with the spin at all.

I am considering Tibhar EL-P, Joola Rhyzm P or Donic Coppa X1 gold.

Any suggestion which one of these above (or anything else) would be closest to Grip? Looking for bit of rebound and loads of spin from the rubber.

Thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I am considering Tibhar EL-P, Joola Rhyzm P or Donic Coppa X1 gold.

Strangely enough, I would consider all of these inferior to R47 in terms of spin, some slightly, one hugely: You should drop X1, it´s from an old Tensor Generation, which doesn´t mean it´s bad, but it can´t compete with Rasant Grip.
EL-P has a pretty stiff topsheet and is among all the Evolution rubbers the one most suitable and intended for direct play. If you look at these, look at EL-S. That, or Rhyzm-P, is a matter of personal taste.
Rhyzm-P is probably closest to the overall feel of Rasant Grip.

This user has no status.
Thanks Airoc, yeah R47 is very spinny and fast for sure. I am using that on forehand(and loving it). When I tried that on backhand, it did not have the rebound I used to get from Grip. Although, looping was a breeze.

Makes sense to drop X1, I will try Rhyzm-P next. Feel free to suggest any other brand/series which I haven't thought of. Cheers!

This user has no status.
I was a keen user of Rasant Grip and Powergrip so I know how you feel towards Rasanter being not "quite there" in terms of feeling.
I actualy found Tenergy 05 being pretty close but a little more springy. It doesn't have that exact feeling so I decided to seek and stock Rasant Grip whenever I find one in TT shop!

Yeah mate, I provided some feedback to Andro already (not that I expect them to bring back grip now:)). I thought of going through pain of finding a new rubber now rather than later, one day they would all be gone from the market :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Probably, but I think with the harder topsheet of R47 the feeling would never be the same as Grip. I realized that by using V47, it the topsheet I am not satisfied with I guess.

I just mean, with whatever rubber you end up choosing in the end.

This user has no status.
Similarly, I've been happily using Rasant Grip 2.1/1.9 on both sides and am now looking for replacement rubbers. I was thinking along the lines of Rasanter R47/R42 2.0 as suitable replacements. What was it about the R42 which didn't meet your requirements/expectations?

Hi mate, yes R42 1.7 was very spinny(happy with that), topsheet is hard and the sponge is soft as compared to GRIP (and you can feel it). This took away the rebound effect grip used to provide, so much to a point my opponents noticed my backhand returns were slow during counter and blocks.
I am very wristy with my backhand had to put a lot of effort to generate the same speed I am used to.

Reactions: SlipSlopSlappy
This user has no status.
If I may answer that, it just feels quite a lot softer. But when considering the difference between R and V versions, V42 might be a little closer.

Yeah even with V42, it felt a bit mushy at times. If you compare hardness of grip and v42 side by side, 42 feels a lot softer even when the difference is 3 degrees(I guess grip was 45 degrees from memory).

This user has no status.
That's extremely useful to know. How did the R47 version compare to Rasant Grip on the BH side?

For me I would welcome a little extra zip on my forehand in relation to RG but I would not change from RG on my backhand if I had a choice.

Hi mate, yes R42 1.7 was very spinny(happy with that), topsheet is hard and the sponge is soft as compared to GRIP (and you can feel it). This took away the rebound effect grip used to provide, so much to a point my opponents noticed my backhand returns were slow during counter and blocks.
I am very wristy with my backhand had to put a lot of effort to generate the same speed I am used to.

This user has no status.
That's extremely useful to know. How did the R47 version compare to Rasant Grip on the BH side?

For me I would welcome a little extra zip on my forehand in relation to RG but I would not change from RG on my backhand if I had a choice.

Yeah same with me mate. I used Xiom Omega Euro Max on forehand for almost 10 years which has been replaced with R47 now.

R47 on backhand is very different as compared to grip. It has a harder feeling, low impact shots do not take the ball far. However, different deal on medium and high impact shots, supreme spinny shots, beautiful arc etc. Also, R47 compared to grip is sensitive to incoming spin, so u need good skills to control the rubber well(not unmanageable).

This user has no status.
Yeah same with me mate. I used Xiom Omega Euro Max on forehand for almost 10 years which has been replaced with R47 now.

R47 on backhand is very different as compared to grip. It has a harder feeling, low impact shots do not take the ball far. However, different deal on medium and high impact shots, supreme spinny shots, beautiful arc etc. Also, R47 compared to grip is sensitive to incoming spin, so u need good skills to control the rubber well(not unmanageable).

Once again, this info is invaluable to me - many thanks. Similarly, it sounds like R47 will be a good fit for my my FH but a definite no-no for my BH. I have a sheet of hardly used Evolution El-S to try out and I'm really hoping that'll be a good RG replacement. Unfortunately, I haven't access to any other rubbers to try out so will be checking back regularly here for updates. I'll report back once I've had a session or two which will be in a week or so.

Reactions: Vikkutt
This user has no status.
I have also tried replacing my Rasant Grip with Rasanter R (think I went for R42). Played with it for few weeks on both sides but it was a completely different rubber for me. It was too slow on shots I wanted fast and too bouncy on touch play and chops (balls too high and too easy for my opponents). Have to say, so far, I'm not a big fan of the new thicker sponge/thinner topsheet style of rubbers.

Maybe they don't pair that well with my Carbonado 45 ?

I'm thinking of giving Omega 7 Euro a try.