Something in between H3 and Tensors?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
A short story of my return to TT after 25 years (I trained in a club with coaching between approx 10-14 y/o):
Step 1) I tried what I knew which was Mark V on both sides. Slow and it didn't feel the same as it did 1992. I used to speed glue once a week.
Step 2) I bought a setup with Rasanter R42 (FH) and R47 (BH). I really like this setup but the BH short game (pushes and slicing) was terrible
Step 3) I tried H3 on both sides. The FH and short game (both FH and BH) was fantastic but the BH drive which normally is my strongest weapon was a disaster.
Step 4) I tried T05FX on my BH but the short game is still a disaster. Most serve returns just "pops up".

Is there anything in between H3 and a tensor which would allow me to play a fairly good short game but still allow me to play a good backhand without having a 100% technique? I've had a look at slower tensor rubbers like Xiom Omega Europe but haven't really understood how they perform in the short game. Any tip would be highly appreciated... I'm quite open to any brand.

This user has no status.
I don't think I've ever tried any rubber that is along the lines of a tensor-Chinese hybrid, but I think Hurricane 3-50 might be alright. It has a tacky H3 topsheet, which should be beneficial for short game, and it has a tensor-like sponge, which might help with feeling like a tensor. The sponge hardness is around medium so it probably needs at least "okay" technique so play well. I've never tried this rubber myself, so some things listed above might be off, but you can see the reviews of it on the TTD equipment review centre and here: https://revspin.net/rubber/dhs-hurricane-3-50.html

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Tibhar Evolution MXS, ELS or FXS.
Is the FX-S much different to the FX-P? I've tried FX-P for 1-2 hours and it feels fairly similar to T05-FX.

Would any rubber with a fairly tacky top sheet and medium sponge achieve what I'm after?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Is the FX-S much different to the FX-P? I've tried FX-P for 1-2 hours and it feels fairly similar to T05-FX.

It´s a bit harder, but feels even more like 05fx.

Maybe you really should take a look at some of the Hybrid Rubbers which pair Chinese topsheets with Tensor or other more dynamic sponges - Joola Golden Tango, Stiga Genenis, XIOM Vega China ...
Or maybe a more dynamic Chinese rubber will do, but I don´t have any overview which of the new factory tuned Chinese rubbers is recommendable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Skyline 3-60. Not bouncy, not so spin sensitive but it's better suited for the short backhand strokes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Try running in the H3, it will become faster and easier. I would also suggest leaving the Evolution rubber to air, so that the catapault effect drops off. I have an old, but not worn, Mx-P which plays very well on the BH with H3 on FH. Quite heavy, but very controlled, with good spin characteristics in the short game.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Tibhar Evolution MXS, ELS or FXS.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Would any rubber with a fairly tacky top sheet and medium sponge achieve what I'm after?

The Evolution S series has much less catapult and each rubber is a little harder than the P counterpart.

So FXS is harder with less catapult than FXP.

The lack of catapult makes them much easier to control. But, for me who knows how to use the catapult, the lack of catapult makes them a little less dynamic and have a little less pop.

But that also means that what you put in is what you get out of them.

So, that is why the S versions are closer to Chinese tacky rubbers. Or, at least in my opinion. But they are not Chinese rubbers and they play like there own thing. But somewhere between catapult rubbers and tacky rubbers.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
792 Battle II is the best.
Also Hurricane 8 is between H3 and tensors.

They're rubbers that are as close as possible to H3, while also having some added speed and spring to them that's really fun to work with. Not close to tensors, but significantly faster on drives than H3

But the H8 is very heavy, so if you want a tacky backhand that'd play close to H3 but easy and fast I'd use the Battle II or Skyline 3-60.

Best suited for backhand, I think, is the 3-60, because of its relative softness and very mild tackiness.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The Evolution S series has much less catapult and each rubber is a little harder than the P counterpart.

So FXS is harder with less catapult than FXP.

The lack of catapult makes them much easier to control. But, for me who knows how to use the catapult, the lack of catapult makes them a little less dynamic and have a little less pop.

But that also means that what you put in is what you get out of them.

So, that is why the S versions are closer to Chinese tacky rubbers. Or, at least in my opinion. But they are not Chinese rubbers and they play like there own thing. But somewhere between catapult rubbers and tacky rubbers.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
I have to agree to some extent. My boosted TG2 sponge plays dead at low impact. But the catapult effects kicks in at medium to high impact. The ball just flies out at times because the sponge is so powerful.

The same thing occurs to unboosted Neo H3.

Maybe people have a conception that Chinese rubber has little catapult is because it requires more effort to unleash the deadly catapult effects?

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Thanks for all of suggestions again! I'm fully aware that H3 can be a great BH rubber if you know to use it properly so I guess that I will:

1) Give the H3 another month as the "season" fades out. I've got a few 1:1 coaching sessions booked so I'll get some opinions from the coach as well.
2) Start looking at alternatives. MX-S and Fastarc G-1 seem to be getting a lot of votes. A Stiga rubber would've been cool as a swede but my childhood nightmare experiences of Cobra and Taiphoon is making me seriously hesitant.
3) If I'm still unhappy then 729 Battle-II seem to be an affordable option.