Conspiracy Theory: Japan playing the long game and losing to England on purpose?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Looking at the current knock-off rounds for Men division, it looked like Japan is in the better position to get better result. I think china is undisputedly going to win the gold as usual, which means the silver is what the others are hunting for.

If they had win against England, it means they are automatically playing China in the semifinal if they progress there. I think everyone in their right mind would pick Germany than China to play against to get the silver medal, albeit having to play against SK in the quarter.

So what do you guys think?

Reactions: akoozab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I think you have BS in your head

Not saying I'm certain in the first place, but it's always a possibility.

With current position, Japan is a strong contender to go to final against china. If they won against england, they'd go against china in semi-final which is basically hitting a brick wall for all the teams

This user has no status.
This is nonsense. Whether JPN won or lost, they had 50% chance to meet CNT in the semifinals in both scenario, according to the draw rules.

This is as ridiculous as the thread "Did FZD lose to Harimoto on purpose?" a month ago.

England played well, and JPN also fought hard with spirits. They both performed an entertaining match for us.

Please show some repect to both JPN team and England team!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
oh, and if you think now match fixing is involved...
here is the draw announcement date:
https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2018/05/2018-WTTC_2ndDraw.jpg

btw, give credit to England
other than beating Japan
they also beat Taiwan

England is on form and maybe the best team at the world championship other than China at the moment (judging by group match performances)

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Looking at the current knock-off rounds for Men division, it looked like Japan is in the better position to get better result. I think china is undisputedly going to win the gold as usual, which means the silver is what the others are hunting for.

If they had win against England, it means they are automatically playing China in the semifinal if they progress there. I think everyone in their right mind would pick Germany than China to play against to get the silver medal, albeit having to play against SK in the quarter.

So what do you guys think?

England had a bad draw here. If they were lucky, they could have been in the upper half of bracket, where South Korea is now.

Japan could've been where South Korea is if they were 1st in group. They would've got to avoid China and got a bye in the Rn of 16. Now they have to get Hong Kong 1st and then face South Korea. As it stands now, the draw is so good for China. Expect a boring final.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
England had a bad draw here. If they were lucky, they could have been in the upper half of bracket, where South Korea is now.

Japan could've been where South Korea is if they were 1st in group. They would've got to avoid China and got a bye in the Rn of 16. Now they have to get Hong Kong 1st and then face South Korea. As it stands now, the draw is so good for China. Expect a boring final.

I originally thought that there was no draw for the knock-out.

My bad.

Jan 2018
I originally thought that there was no draw for the knock-out.

My bad.

It's fine. Don't worry about it. It's actually fun to ponder.

Now, Japan is really lucky. They could've ended up where Austria, Sweden, or Brazil is, all of whom are 2nd in group. There's only a 25% chance to be where they are now, which is the best alternative for them to have a crack at the final.