TIMO Interviewed during the launch of "Mein China"

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
As the Guvnor requested, I am happy to post an interview with Timo Boll. The interview was done by Xiegong Fischer during the launch of his book "My China - A journey into the wonderland of table tennis China" or in German, "Mein China: Eine Reise ins Wunderland des Tischtennis".

Bolls_buch.365x265.jpg

Photo by: sportgate.de

Enjoy guys....:D

DW-WORLD.DE: How did the idea to write this book?

The idea was originated by a publishing house employee who is very enthusiastic table tennis and table tennis necessarily a book publishing: Timo Boll. First, I was a bit skeptical. Autobiographies are just at a young age, especially if you still active, and intends problematic. At first I thought: That's not right for me. But the concept has finally convinced me. It is a travelogue of sorts with the experiences I've had in China. Hence the title "My China". In this book you will also find a comparison of my life in Germany and in China where table tennis is really popular. Does that, I think the stress from the book.

How long have you worked on this book?

My author Friedhard Teuffel and I have spent almost a year on the book. We have also made ​​a joint trip to China. That was really fun. I never thought that you can write a nice story about me and that I would give up so much of me. We are very deeply penetrated into the matter, for example, about the psychology of sport. What goes on in front of a rally rally? It is very exciting for me to learn more about myself, because I usually do not worry so much about me.

They have reported in your book about the visit of a Shichahai elite sports school in the Chinese capital Beijing. What do you consider the main difference in the training of young researchers between Germany and China?

That was an interesting experience. I expect discipline. And my expectation was confirmed. The children have done exactly what has given the coach. They have worked very hard on themselves. But I also very much enjoy playing've realized even proper game wit. One side of drill and discipline, which can achieve many things. But you also need a lot of creativity in our sport. I have also seen. That was very important to me. Also, I have to work very hard on me. However, this is happening much later than in China. I started with 16 years of my professional career. In China, children begin to eight or nine years. They train for two to three times a day. Since work is very targeted. This is for us Europeans hardly catch.

You will find it a pity not to be born in China?

With this issue we have dealt in the book too. On the one hand, I do not know if I would have coped with it. Because I was a student very comfortable. This would have the Chinese table tennis system is not likely to work properly. On the other hand, I might have had other options. I would have been even better that would have grown stronger. But we know not. I actually quite pleased how it went with me. I'm still a good match for the Chinese.

How do you cope with this fame in China? You are an absolute superstar in China. In Germany, table tennis is still just a niche sport.

It corresponds in fact not my nature to stand in public. It is of course nice to get recognition, to feel the euphoria. The happy one, when your own sport is so popular. Where table tennis is often shown on television. That is missing here in Germany a bit. But again, I've become more popular, and from being recognized on the street. I try to play as successfully as possible, to make my sport even more popular.

How popular is table tennis in Germany?

It is quite popular because everyone can do with a little table tennis. Each has ever played table tennis, whether on the playground, swimming pool, the concentricity. Most of it is also fun, but it is just not as often occurs in television as in China. Especially in the media in Germany there is still room for improvement.

Can you live well in Germany by playing table tennis, unless you're Timo Boll is?

There are in Germany 12 to 15 professional players who can live by playing table tennis. But of course they can not compete with football stars. Football players who play in the second, third Bundesliga earn good money in Germany. In table tennis you have to really be elite to make a living.

There were and are always suggestions, table tennis from the Olympics to be deleted. China dominated the sport for decades. It's almost boring, because every time there are three Chinese on the podium. They certainly are against such proposals. But you can understand this?

There are very few sports that are dominated by a nation such as table tennis. It would be very unfortunate for the Chinese population, if their national sport was not an Olympic sport more. It has by now pulled consequences: It may take only two players per nation. That is, a medal is definitely a non-Chinese. I hope this is then sent to me.

Have you found out after all these years, the secret to the success of the Chinese? Why Chinese are almost unbeatable in table tennis?

That's no big secret. It is the perfect sport system. The children play at school and the best talents are discovered very early. Then comes the next step: the Regional Centre. There they have very good training partner and coach. With eight or nine years, they're almost professionals. Then there is the knowledge that the Chinese have. This makes them almost invincible.

What is your next sporting goal?

Next year there are two outstanding events. First, the team championship in their own country, in Dortmund. As we dream of with a final Germany against China, such as at the Olympic Games. That would be very, very important for the table tennis sport in Germany, because you could cause a bit of euphoria. Secondly, of course, the Summer Olympic Games in London in 2012. They are the absolute highlight for every athlete.

I'm ahead of our interview on Facebook, and Weibo (Chinese Twitter), users of DW-WORLD.DE/Chinese asked if they had questions for you. I could send them. Now I have prepared a few questions from users and they want to ask you now.
DW-WORLD.DE A reader asks: You've played against so many Chinese table tennis athletes. Who has impressed you most?

This is a difficult question. There are so many different players. I've copied some of many. Between 2000 and 2005, Wang Liqin was my big idol. He has shaped the world table tennis very much, with his athleticism and his playing style. That fascinated me. But Kong Linghui and Ma Lin, I greatly respected. I have copied the technique of the Chinese part. But I think I have something introduced into the sport, which was acquired by the Chinese.

The user "dominodeus" asks when you want to retire? Whether you have something to do with table tennis to retire still want to continue?

When you go into retirement because in Germany? At 67, right? Then I go with 67 years in retirement. (Laughs). I have a couple more years to play at the highest level. As long as it goes, as long as I'm healthy as long as I have fun with it, I stay here. Regardless of whether I am still successful.

The other users' xinu "asks what were your first impressions of China? How are your impressions now?

I was in 1997 for the first time in China. It was natural for me an alien world. In my home town Odenwald there are 9000 inhabitants. Is not there so much happening, I would say. That was my first time a major culture shock. And then we saw a lot of poverty in China is still on the road. Because I realize how good I had it here in Germany. I found it very exciting to know the culture. Over the years I have also more and more people know and appreciate.
Unlike then, China has changed incredibly. You do not see so much poverty on the streets, not so obvious, at least. Many problems have been solved in such a short time. This can, I think, create, only China. So I'm not such a critical view of China, like many other German woman who always criticize the system. I see this a bit from the inside out. Chinese are very hospitable, warm-hearted people. I have found many friends in China.

"Fengshangjia" asks if you know Chen Guangcheng?

No. Who is it?

This is a Chinese human rights lawyer. You have just talked of, that the coverage of China in the Western press is very critical ...

I mean, there is a lot of reports about the system, but little about the people. This is a shame. Because the Germans get such a bad impression of the Chinese ...

Wrongly?

Towards people, of course, wrong! The country still has its problems without question. But I do think that China is on the right track to solve the problems. They have been partly achieved. They will continue to do so. Of this I am firmly convinced.

China has become a second home? Or just a nice site to earn good money, asks "fantuanjun_TIM".

If you so many times as I was in China, then China has certainly become a second home. I do not learn Chinese for free. I want to be able to converse with the people who might use the language of my late career.

Chinese is a good word. "Bettina_BeiBei" asks how good your Chinese is today?

For a real conversation, it unfortunately does not yet enough. I've started this year to learn Chinese. It's fun for me. I remain tempted. But unfortunately I do not have much time to practice regularly. But it is enough to order a Peking-duck restaurant.

The last question is also from a user. He wrote that he had no issue, but many wishes and greetings. I agree with him and say thank you for this interview!

Attachments

• MEIN CHINA.jpg
    MEIN CHINA.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 57