Best TT Robot under $1500

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 1 reviews
Hi guys,
i'm looking to intensify my training but unfortunately, I only have 3 trainings days available at my local club and given that the next one is more than 90 minutes away, I'm looking to invest into a table and robot at home.

Particularly, I'm looking for advice on the robot. My maximum budget is $1500. The robot has to be available in the US.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Agreed. I have a 2050. Only issue is the predictable spin. Only one wheel, so the ball can only spin in one direction and it cant alternate. Newer bots have two wheels so they can easily change spins mid drill. They are, however, about 1k more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Trainerbot on kickstarter might be worth a look if it actually gets released.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743882979/trainerbot-smart-ping-pong-robot/description

Wow, that's super interesting and cool. These two guys made it by themselves and crowdfunded it? Thumbs up.
I checked the description ad it seems that this robot can change the spin automatically

FireShot Capture 97 - Trainerbot_ Smart Table Tennis Robot b_ - https___www.kickstarter.com_proj.jpg

Last edited:

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Only problem is they're more than a year behind schedule... I first saw this over 2 years ago and I haven't seen much progress since.

That's the point: HW projects are not easy especially for the newcomers to the business. It's not just to make one working prototype but all the manufacturing, compliance/certifications, quality assurance, logistics, managing costs to make any profit in the end... One year delay is pretty much normal for such kick starter campaigns and it isn't unusual to take 2 or even to scrap it and return money to backers (if anything left) :( I still hope they will succeed to produce and market it because it is sad that every usable TT robot costs $1.5k!

Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
That's the point: HW projects are not easy especially for the newcomers to the business. It's not just to make one working prototype but all the manufacturing, compliance/certifications, quality assurance, logistics, managing costs to make any profit in the end... One year delay is pretty much normal for such kick starter campaigns and it isn't unusual to take 2 or even to scrap it and return money to backers (if anything left) :( I still hope they will succeed to produce and market it because it is sad that every usable TT robot costs $1.5k!

Yes, JST, you are totally right. I know 2 people who did a Kickstarter project (one made a watch, another wrote a book) and had some discussions about what it takes. This campaign is so much more complicated. I hope they will succeed to deliver not just because their robot should be cheaper than competitors, but just because they decided to do it by themselves and they did a table tennis project (and that should be enough :) )

Totally missed this project, will have a deeper look at it. I don't have the conditions to use a robot at home (I live in a flat), but I would have supported them 5USD for sure.