Released - DHS D40+ Bi-Color balls from China Super Leagues

These were recently released to the public (Friday) and used in the past by the China Super Leagues. Bi-Color DHS D40+. They are CTTA Approved. Note, I don't see them on the ITTF approved equipment list (too bad).

DHS-BI-D40.jpg

I have three comments on this:
1) Is there anything in the ITTF rules preventing these Bi-Color balls from being approved?
2) DHS D40+ has (could have) orange - what prevents them from getting them approved and selling orange balls?
3) would tournaments/leagues (ie your league not the China Super League) use them?

I bought 2 boxes as my club would like to see the spin.

In case you are interested in trying them: DHS BI-Color D40+ Balls

you read it here first!

Chuck

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
These were recently released to the public (Friday) and used in the past by the China Super Leagues. Bi-Color DHS D40+. They are CTTA Approved. Note, I don't see them on the ITTF approved equipment list (too bad).

View attachment 16325

I have three comments on this:
1) Is there anything in the ITTF rules preventing these Bi-Color balls from being approved?
2) DHS D40+ has (could have) orange - what prevents them from getting them approved and selling orange balls?
3) would tournaments/leagues (ie your league not the China Super League) use them?

I bought 2 boxes as my club would like to see the spin.

In case you are interested in trying them: DHS BI-Color D40+ Balls

you read it here first!

Chuck

Didn't the ones used by Super League have a think black line between colors? And weren't they a little larger than the 40+?

I thought I remembered that. But perhaps that was only the first year of the poly ball that they did that for Super League.

Are these the playing equivalent of DHS D40+ 3 star balls?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Bi coloured balls could be great for televised events. Non players could see the spin put on by top players and the skill required to return these shots. This could improve the number of people watching tt on tv and improve its reputation as a sport. Imagine watching a slow motion HD shot of a quality serve beaten by a superb return and being able to discuss how the spin was overcome, or added to, by the receiver.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Bi coloured balls could be great for televised events. Non players could see the spin put on by top players and the skill required to return these shots. This could improve the number of people watching tt on tv and improve its reputation as a sport. Imagine watching a slow motion HD shot of a quality serve beaten by a superb return and being able to discuss how the spin was overcome, or added to, by the receiver.

You might have missed the significance of igorponger's post. But I doubt you can see too much while you are playing. You definitely cannot see that stuff in the audience or on TV.

You would probably be able to see no spin quite easily as a player. But still, an audience viewer or a video viewer would not be able to see even that unless they were very close.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
You might have missed the significance of igorponger's post. But I doubt you can see too much while you are playing. You definitely cannot see that stuff in the audience or on TV.

You would probably be able to see no spin quite easily as a player.

I made a half-red/half-white ball at home and yes, it's much easier to spot no spin serves (though with good lighting I don't have a problem with no-spin serves).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
just ordered a pack, nice for training serves.

Yes, that's what came to my mind first :)

Yes, it would be super cool and it make the sport more interesting to watch. And some commentators would have more material to comment: spin, no spin, topspin, sidespin, backspin, spin reversal, long pips, short pips... cause now ... :) Although I doubt that this could be achieved with a regular camera. Maybe some super extra turbo one... one day

You would probably be able to see no spin quite easily as a player. But still, an audience viewer or a video viewer would not be able to see even that unless they were very close.

I think you wouldn't be able to see the ball spinning on power loops and smashes, but I think on some slower shots, serves that should be possible, not only on no spin flat balls. If it wasn't, DHS probably wouldn't be making such balls. Anyway, we will find out soon :) !

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I made a half-red/half-white ball at home and yes, it's much easier to spot no spin serves (though with good lighting I don't have a problem with no-spin serves).

And with a bigger color contrast, a bright red, and a white, you might see that easier than this orange/white.

But I know, when I watched Super League with the Orange/White ball that had the black line, I absolutely could not see the details of the ball. When the ball was in flight, watching from video and live feed, I could not even tell that it was a two tone ball. When it was still, you could.

Still, a poly ball that isn't simply white would be great.

And you guys who buy them should report and tell me that I am wrong and you can see spin easier as a result of these. I would be happy to be wrong. I just know it won't show up for the viewing audience. And if it does help you see some aspect of the spin, it will be that you will see when there is A LOT of spin, or not as much.

But a thick, solid, black line, that would help you see spin. Two, crossing each other would work even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
CHILDREN SHOULD LIKE THOSE BALLS ....

Yes, you can see ball's rotation pretty clearly while watching TV slow replays.
And you will see no rotation in actual play with a naked eye.

However, the multi-coloured balls is a useful aid for teaching young players how to read opponent's service.

Be happy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
But I know, when I watched Super League with the Orange/White ball that had the black line, I absolutely could not see the details of the ball.

Agreed. It's in those slow mo replays for TV where this type of thing would pay off.

I also think this would be much more welcomed change to new people coming to the game who get frustrated by an inability to return a quality player's serve. Sure those people would still struggle vs good servers, but I think it would certainly aid them somewhat if this ever became the norm.

Just ordered mine. If nothing else, now I don't have to do this anymore. ;)

For the record I don't use those gambler balls anymore. They were fine. But the DHS D40+ is simply the best ball out there for the $.

I know this is probably a pipe-dream but I am all in on the idea of the ITTF doing away completely with their silly no-hiding service rule and simply adopting a two-toned ball like this as part of the norm. I think that's a somewhat fair tradeoff and we would no longer see threads/comments "so & so is hiding their serve" when they may or may not be. :)

Last edited: