PDA

View Full Version : Best glues - Water Based or Latex Based

eduardo1995filipe
05-07-2018, 11:17 PM
Hi all,

I've recently beed using a small package Free Chack II 90ml(Seller said me was latex based) and I had a bad experience while removing the glue. Before I used a 100ml pack of the same free chack II and that glue was so easy to remove. I've already used also the Stiga Power Attach(One package was good, very strong glue, another that I ordered was damaged and I throwed it to garbage). So I would like to know what glues do your use, and the difference between latex based glue and water based. I heard that DHS no.15, Nittaku Finezip, and the Revolution nr.3 (High Viscosity) where good.

Thanks in advance! :D:D

Best Regards,
Eduardo Bagarrão

G_ZHANG
05-08-2018, 12:41 AM
Revolution nr.3 (High Viscosity) has a Ammonia smell. needs a bit shake when you open a new bottle.
Easy to use, quick dry.

DHS No.15 suits me the best. The viscosity is just fine, not to wet or too dry.
Dries fast. After using No.15, I don't even need a blower to dry the glue.

Finezipa is bit too sticky for me. Sometimes it doesn't spread well.
Dries slower than Revolution and DHS No.15

Lidu water based -- strong ammonia smell. And because it is water bound, it is too wet for me. Dries slower, normally needs blower to accelerate the process.

Free Chack Pro, I only used them on Tenergy. Don't feel any big difference.

I am using No.15 the most. Maybe I am just used to it's viscosity.

laistrogian
05-08-2018, 12:56 AM
I use revolution on normal viscousity. It's fast to dry, easy to apply and doesn't gunk up on application. I just apply one thick layer on the blade (basically the blade have shiny reflection after glue dries off) and two layers on new sheet of tensor rubber

bobpuls
05-08-2018, 06:34 AM
Hi .... i have used many types of glues ... and what i find is ....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/500ml-Liquid-Latex-Flesh-Black-Blue-Red-White-Pink-Clear-Green-Skin-Gold/112333894669?hash=item1a279f340d:m:mpfp2qMA4jx85qRvC_ETKwg
And i`m not looking back .

729B2zzzz
05-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Nikkaku fine zip glue i found best for feeling and drys fast with a hair dryer
and the cheaper version i love Danchi Water based glue very strong and drys fast with hair dryer

TTLOVE
05-08-2018, 01:27 PM
which is the easiest to remove off the rubbers?

bobpuls
05-08-2018, 02:06 PM
It depends on type of sponge... Nitaku fine zip and the link i sugest are great on Chinese sponge... But it is harder on europe type sponge.... Anyway more layers are better to remive then single.

yoass
05-08-2018, 02:46 PM
It depends on type of sponge... Nitaku fine zip and the link i sugest are great on Chinese sponge... But it is harder on europe type sponge.... Anyway more layers are better to remive then single.

This is true. Spores matter, they do.

Of the glues I've used, I liked the Andro Turbo Fix the best, followed by the Gewo Hydro. These are (or at least mine were) not too thick/viscose, so I could lay a thin, evenly distributed layer more easily.

729B2zzzz
05-08-2018, 03:39 PM
and to make the whole process easy to take off the blade i use DHS varnish it also helps with hardness issue i had in the past
made my blade feel almost the same as a viscaria on backhand for my learning

brokenball
05-08-2018, 04:36 PM
The price of TT glue is outrageous and a ripoff.

I use Elmer's glue or tear mender. They both work well as long as the glue in thin. Once it starts to get thick it is best to throw it away. I only buy the smallest bottles even though the price is more per once because I will throw half away.

I prefer to use tear mender on JP and EU sponges because they will shrink too much if I use Elmer's. CN sponges don't seem to care what I use. The CN sponges have smaller pores and are denser so I doubt the glue sinks in much.

When I get new glue it is thinner and it will sink in more so I tend to put on a lighter coat to seal the rubber then add a second thicker layer later.

yogi_bear
05-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Revolution no. 3 and stiga perform glue for me.

eduardo1995filipe
05-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Revolution nr.3 (High Viscosity) has a Ammonia smell. needs a bit shake when you open a new bottle.
Easy to use, quick dry.

DHS No.15 suits me the best. The viscosity is just fine, not to wet or too dry.
Dries fast. After using No.15, I don't even need a blower to dry the glue.

Finezipa is bit too sticky for me. Sometimes it doesn't spread well.
Dries slower than Revolution and DHS No.15

Lidu water based -- strong ammonia smell. And because it is water bound, it is too wet for me. Dries slower, normally needs blower to accelerate the process.

Free Chack Pro, I only used them on Tenergy. Don't feel any big difference.

I am using No.15 the most. Maybe I am just used to it's viscosity.

Well, this time Free Chack Pro(Before I said Free CHack II, sorry) was damaged, and I couldn't remove the glue from a Rasanter that I've bought and from a Tenergy 05 that I've been using :/

eduardo1995filipe
05-09-2018, 02:47 PM
The price of TT glue is outrageous and a ripoff.

I use Elmer's glue or tear mender. They both work well as long as the glue in thin. Once it starts to get thick it is best to throw it away. I only buy the smallest bottles even though the price is more per once because I will throw half away.

I prefer to use tear mender on JP and EU sponges because they will shrink too much if I use Elmer's. CN sponges don't seem to care what I use. The CN sponges have smaller pores and are denser so I doubt the glue sinks in much.

When I get new glue it is thinner and it will sink in more so I tend to put on a lighter coat to seal the rubber then add a second thicker layer later.

Doesn't Tear Mender have VOCs?

eduardo1995filipe
05-09-2018, 02:47 PM
and to make the whole process easy to take off the blade i use DHS varnish it also helps with hardness issue i had in the past
made my blade feel almost the same as a viscaria on backhand for my learning

Yeah! I use Donic's one!

eduardo1995filipe
05-09-2018, 02:49 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/500ml-Liquid-Latex-Flesh-Black-Blue-Red-White-Pink-Clear-Green-Skin-Gold/112333894669?hash=item1a279f340d:m:mpfp2qMA4jx85qRvC_ETKwg

This sounds very interesting!!! I'll use some layers of this between the glue!!! Thank you so much! :)

Airoc
05-09-2018, 03:33 PM
A few thoughts on

Rev 3 - I agree the smell is bad, but it is usually very easy to remove
Andro turbo fix - I never used it myself, but I got a used rubber recently and the glue layer went off easily
Finezip/Stiga Attach (similar, if not identical?) - sometimes not easy to apply
Free Chack pro - easy to apply, usually also easy to peel off
GEWO Hydrotec - works ok, I think there are several "versions" of this under different brand names.
Donic blue contact - VERY creamy, was difficult to apply and didn´t come off well

Medax
05-09-2018, 03:54 PM

Hi Bobpuls,

this glue is very interesting to me as it's a UK based product (and seller). Its also very different to anything I have used previously, so do you have any suggestions on how to use this product for gluing table tennis equipment ?

Many thanks.

yuri.saldon
05-09-2018, 04:11 PM
That glue is very similar in viscosity and smell to dianchi glue and rev n. 3.
Cost to me less than 10 usd, (32.90 BRL)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180509/304cd7967ac45cc68b4fc982d9c8aa6b.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

shinshiro
05-09-2018, 06:44 PM
That glue is very similar in viscosity and smell to dianchi glue and rev n. 3.
Cost to me less than 10 usd, (32.90 BRL)https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/cache.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20180509%2F304cd7967ac45cc68b4fc982d9c8aa6b.jpg

So it is as easy to remove from rubber as rev3?
This is very cheap. I've heard of it before but I choosed to buy a regular TT glue. If it is easy to peel of, than I may buy it next time

tropical
05-09-2018, 06:56 PM
You will pay for the name brand unnecessarily. Just buy (almost) any latex based glues and they are many times cheaper.

A 16oz Tear Mender is ~ $20, Creep Twists ($15)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creepy-Twists-Productions-Halloween-Monster-16-Oz-Professional-Liquid-Latex/222932724564?hash=item33e7d36b54:g:qZIAAOSwXshaOCqj

I really do not think any expensive glues from Nittaku, Butterfly, Donic, Dianchi, etc. can be any better than the above mentioned latex glues. Been there done that!

yuri.saldon
05-09-2018, 07:31 PM
If you put a thick layer it's easy to remove
So it is as easy to remove from rubber as rev3?
This is very cheap. I've heard of it before but I choosed to buy a regular TT glue. If it is easy to peel of, than I may buy it next time

usualsuspect
05-09-2018, 08:53 PM
I've been using Revolution 3 normal viscosity. I apply a thick layer on blade and a thick layer on the rubber. It dries pretty fast and is easy to apply. I have no issue removing the glue from the blade or the rubber (I use Hurricane 3 on FH and Fastarc on BH). It does have smell though. I'm switching to Donic Blue Contact. It's made for large pore tensor rubbers. Hopefully it doesn't have the smell like Rev. 3

igorponger
11-30-2018, 09:30 AM
NO MORE WETTING on THE RACKET PLYWOOD.

It is a common knowledge. Every water based glue would incorporate some amount of water H2O. And water is an evil substance to degrade the plywood badly.
Innovative glue staff made in USA, no need to put a glue layer onto the blade. Just put some glue onto the rubber sponge.

Be happy.

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29099
http://i.imgur.com/BWxOrWU.jpg

yoass
11-30-2018, 11:22 AM
NO MORE WETTING on THE RACKET PLYWOOD.

I like my blades sealed, even those with top veneers not particularly prone to splintering.

langel
11-30-2018, 12:02 PM
I use Xiom iBond - easy to wotk with, thin, strong but no problems when removing the rubbers, easy to clean off of the blade, especially from smooth outer veneers like Hinoki, I never seal my blades and the hinoki has never been damaged, removing from rubbers is not needed, preserves the natural synergy between the blade and the rubbers and the blade feeling.
I've used Tibhar Clue which is with greater content of natural rubber - its good, its thicker, but it weekens the blade feeling and changes the rubber properties, making it more vivid with softer touch and weeker with harder strokes. I personally don't like it.

Rydiem
02-24-2019, 04:03 AM
DHS No. 15 has an average bond but is super easy to remove. I applied one layer each to both the sponge and blade and was good to go. Had to apply a slightly thicker layer on my blade as it has been sealed (Nittaku Racket Protect) and it seemed to have an effect on the glue while I was spreading it (Quite hard to spread unless glue was applied generously).

729B2
02-24-2019, 01:09 PM
For me its Danchi glue

Zaid323918
02-24-2019, 03:27 PM
For me it's rubber cement that works best. Only 4 bucks for 8 oz jar. IMO best way to use it is to put a thick layer on the blade (you might have to put more for chinese rubber) and stick the rubber on while the cement is wet and then apply pressure (using books or whatever you got) for around 20-30 min. By not putting the cement directly on the rubber you avoid causing any doming or stretching of the rubber when you glue it.

tropical
02-24-2019, 04:00 PM
Many folks believe the more expensive a product is the better it works. What an illusion! However, more money to spend is more power to them.;)

BTW, latex based adhesive like Tear Mender is water based. But keep in mind ALL adhesive have VOC's. Manufacturers can make non-VOC's adhesives do not exist. It is important to know most water based adhesives have very low content of VOC's which can only be measurable in a lab condition (not by quick method used by ITTF). For more technical folks:

www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10473289.2000.10464006

tropical
02-24-2019, 04:05 PM
For me it's rubber cement that works best. Only 4 bucks for 8 oz jar. IMO best way to use it is to put a thick layer on the blade (you might have to put more for chinese rubber) and stick the rubber on while the cement is wet and then apply pressure (using books or whatever you got) for around 20-30 min. By not putting it directly on the blade you avoid causing any doming or stretching of the rubber when you glue it.

I am not sure I understand this statement.

By not putting it directly on the blade you avoid causing any doming or stretching of the rubber when you glue it

What is it here? I assume it is the rubber but without putting rubber on the blade is confusing..... you know what I mean?

Zaid323918
02-24-2019, 04:13 PM
I am not sure I understand this statement.

By not putting it directly on the blade you avoid causing any doming or stretching of the rubber when you glue it

What is it here? I assume it is the rubber but without putting rubber on the blade is confusing..... you know what I mean?
Oh sorry. I meant the rubber cement. By not putting the rubber cement directly on the rubber.

Caxoera
09-17-2019, 03:07 AM
Revolution no. 3 and stiga perform glue for me.

Regular or Medium Viscosity?

yogi_bear
09-17-2019, 05:05 AM
Since my place is hot i use regular only.

trumpet_guy
09-17-2019, 05:21 AM
Latex glues take some experience to apply, since they tend to clump as the glue is spread.

I prefer Nittaku FineZip glue (Latex) and Donic Formula First glue (non-latex). Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Right now, I am using FineZip, but I could easily go back to Formula First. The difference is that the Latex based glues seem to work best on non-lacquered blades, whereas Formula First seems to have no trouble with lacquer. In fact, Donic has a lacquer/sealer that is intended to work with Formula First.

Baal
09-17-2019, 08:12 AM
You will pay for the name brand unnecessarily. Just buy (almost) any latex based glues and they are many times cheaper.

A 16oz Tear Mender is ~ $20, Creep Twists ($15)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creepy-Twists-Productions-Halloween-Monster-16-Oz-Professional-Liquid-Latex/222932724564?hash=item33e7d36b54:g:qZIAAOSwXshaOCqj

I really do not think any expensive glues from Nittaku, Butterfly, Donic, Dianchi, etc. can be any better than the above mentioned latex glues. Been there done that!

Some of them tend to clump up a bit and dry too fast (Tearmender) but adding just a little ammonia stops that from happening.

I still use Finezip. It is still trivial compared to cost of rubber and I get a perfect result everytime. Tearmender sometimes didn't.

Caxoera
09-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Since my place is hot i use regular only.

Where do you get them? I was looking for 1lt bottle but I founded only 500ml.

yogi_bear
09-17-2019, 05:38 PM
[email protected]

suds79
09-17-2019, 06:54 PM
If I have to glue an OX sheet of rubber and the base is thin? I suppose tear mender will get the job done. It's cheap & works.

But that's few & far between on when I need to do that.

Everything else, I just use rubber cement. Never have a removal glue problem if I take off a rubber, it's cheap, has a good hold and easy to work with... I couldn't care less about the VOCs. And if I did, those evaporate within a short period anyways.

Andre74
09-17-2019, 08:21 PM
a while ago I bought a small bottle of Tear Mender after reading good things, but then got worried when reading other less positive comments. For instance someone saying it creates a glue layer that is thicker and less firm than water based glue, potentially effecting the paying quality of the rubber.. Also, in one of the ‘how to glue rubbers with TM’ videos what shows at the top of the google search list, the guy recommends to put the rubber on the blade when the glue is still a bit wet.. which puzzles me a bit! Other people say to put a layer on blade one on rubber, let dry 10 min and then glue, other recommend 2 layers each, others 3 layers..I find this so confusing I might just use a reputable TT brand instead, had no problems using Nittaku glue since my very first glue job a few months ago.

Caxoera
09-17-2019, 08:41 PM
[email protected]

Thanks!

Btw, how often do you need to reglue and do you need to keep your bat in the press?

yogi_bear
09-17-2019, 09:40 PM
I only reglue if i reboost my rubbers which is 1x a month