3/4 size table?

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Looking for advice as to whether there's any benefit in training on a smaller table? I train on a full size table a couple of times per week at my club, and currently have a full size table in my garage, but its a bit too cramped and a 3/4 size table would fit the space better...but I'm worried that training on a smaller table might mess up my game when I transition to a full-size table for matches. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: JST
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Korean team used to take two tables and put them side by side for working on footwork. So, a larger table might give benefits for training. But I don’t think a smaller one would be a great idea.

But also, training in a space where there isn’t enough room for the table or for footwork isn’t ideal for training either. You can work on some stuff like that. But since you can’t footwork past the sides of the table it could give you the habit of reaching for balls that you should move your feet to get to.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
I own a smaller table which I bought for a small room just to practice serves etc and it was not useful.

I now have a larger one crammed in the same room and don't regret the decision even though there is not enough room for two to play at it at the same time.

I may take it to work and get some nerf paddles or something to make use of the small one.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Playing in cramped spaces or on a smaller table will change your playing style and force you to adopt techniques that will severely limit your game. We have a smaller table at home where we often join up for family fun and I always play with my left hand so as to not mes up my technique. If you are buying the smaller table to work on your actual game, don't. If it is just for fun, even then don't unless you play with your off hand or you play on it for like just half an hour a week with friends or family. That is my advice.

Reactions: Simas and BeGo
This user has no status.
Playing in cramped spaces or on a smaller table will change your playing style and force you to adopt techniques that will severely limit your game. We have a smaller table at home where we often join up for family fun and I always play with my left hand so as to not mes up my technique. If you are buying the smaller table to work on your actual game, don't. If it is just for fun, even then don't unless you play with your off hand or you play on it for like just half an hour a week with friends or family. That is my advice.

Interesting discussion. I am planning on getting a table for my small garage but have no intention playing seriously again. Should I get a small table with space at ends and sides or full size table with limited space? Intention is purely for family and friends fun.