PDA

View Full Version : T2 APAC 2018 who's confirmed?

Loopadoop
05-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Any news yet on the team managers and players ?

zeio
05-14-2018, 01:23 PM
https://t2apac.com/ittf-t2-apac-hold-first-collaboration-meeting/

pgpg
05-14-2018, 01:51 PM
https://t2apac.com/ittf-t2-apac-hold-first-collaboration-meeting/

Lots of talk about synergies and game-changing ideas. How about doing the obvious things too: like for someone to be able to buy the team shirt, either with player name or without?

zeio
05-14-2018, 02:21 PM
I actually want to see mixed gender match-ups. That'd be a game-changer.

Loopadoop
05-14-2018, 03:38 PM
I wonder why the team managers and players haven't been announced yet ?

Atas Newton
05-14-2018, 04:34 PM
I actually want to see mixed gender match-ups. That'd be a game-changer.
as in men vs women? Unless they modify the rules to give women some sort of a handicap, like a 5-0 start in each game, I don't see it going well.

pgpg
05-14-2018, 04:55 PM
as in men vs women? Unless they modify the rules to give women some sort of a handicap, like a 5-0 start in each game, I don't see it going well.

It might not go well in a sense of that women are likely to lose. But, it could be an interesting match from the spectator point of view, just to see how different styles match up (I'd watch it...).

The topic does come up occasionally: who will win, Ding Ning or Paul Drinkhall? Not with these specific players, but you get my drift.

Brs
05-14-2018, 05:45 PM
When you get these kind of hypothetical matchups in other sports (major league baseball batters vs women olympic fast-pitch softball pitchers for example) it is isually the men who are too gentlemanly (i.e. scared) to participate. It would be relatively easy for t2 apac to find out by experimenting in some practice matches what an effective handicap would be. I would love to watch that.

usualsuspect
05-14-2018, 06:16 PM
When you get these kind of hypothetical matchups in other sports (major league baseball batters vs women olympic fast-pitch softball pitchers for example) it is isually the men who are too gentlemanly (i.e. scared) to participate. It would be relatively easy for t2 apac to find out by experimenting in some practice matches what an effective handicap would be. I would love to watch that.

IMHO, the difference between men and women is too huge in table tennis for mixed-gender matches to be enjoyable. I know in some sports that might be a good idea. For example, there's little difference between men and women in something like curling or marksmanship. I saw Ma Long and Ding Ning play an exhibition game once. Even though it was only an exhibition, the difference in power and speed was very clear.

pgpg
05-14-2018, 07:43 PM
IMHO, the difference between men and women is too huge in table tennis for mixed-gender matches to be enjoyable. I know in some sports that might be a good idea. For example, there's little difference between men and women in something like curling or marksmanship. I saw Ma Long and Ding Ning play an exhibition game once. Even though it was only an exhibition, the difference in power and speed was very clear.

Perhaps - but then mixed doubles do exist somehow as competition format, so there is that. I think T2 is positioned as a place to try new things in TT, so if anyone could try it quickly, that's probably them.

I also think they and ITTF should experiment more with broadcast/presentation parts: camera angles, slo-mo replays, stats of every kind, ball speed/spin measurement and trajectory tracking - anything that would make viewers more engaged.

Brs
05-14-2018, 09:53 PM

Do you have any personal experience with handicap fomats for table tennis competition? IMO, the 11 point game makes them extremely effective. I doubt more than a five point handicap would be needed to make the outcome 50-50 between men and women in T2 APAC. There are also formats where the stronger player starts with negative points, so they need 16 to win the set for example.

I've participated and played in handicap tournaments locally and seen fantastic matches with skill differences as extreme as a usatt 2300 vs 1100. It's not pros against amateurs, and table tennis isn't wrestling or weightlifting, the women can play.

Using ML as your example weakens your argument, imo. He schools 99% of the other men in the top 300, so why wouldn't he do the same to Ding Ning? There's no ML in T2 APAC.

Loopadoop
05-15-2018, 05:12 AM
It would be interesting women vs men to see how high up in the top 50 of men, women can compete.

I wouldn't handicap it.

TTHopeful
05-15-2018, 06:48 AM
It would be interesting women vs men to see how high up in the top 50 of men, women can compete.

I wouldn't handicap it.

This is a great idea, it would create a lot of tension. Bernadette Scocs vs Timo Boll would be a funny encounter :D

Loopadoop
05-15-2018, 08:41 AM
This is a great idea, it would create a lot of tension. Bernadette Scocs vs Timo Boll would be a funny encounter :D

And CNT & Japanese Women vs all men

TTHopeful
05-15-2018, 08:48 AM
And CNT & Japanese Women vs all men

Ding Ning vs Paul Drinkhall what would happen, would paul win easily? ?

Loopadoop
05-15-2018, 09:09 AM

I think it would be even odds.

Garrison
05-15-2018, 09:17 AM
I think Drinkhall would win fairly easily. He might need some points to adapt to the playstyle, but the lack of power in DN's shots shouldn't cause too much trouble. Then again DN might play against men regularly in the national team so that might be a plus

ajtatosmano2
05-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Scottish junior girls' coach said this year, that he easily beat every women player except Shan Xiaona (or Han Ying, I can't remember exactly, german-chinese top player).
Georgina Póta gave him some trouble with dead flat hits, but every single of them (except Shan Xiaona, I believe he was the highest ranked women he played against) lacked power.
Unfortunately I don't know what was the exact level of the coach, but I think he was never national team member (in Hungary).
The thing is, that power is a big issue. The really top women players might give some trouble, but against top men (those who participate in T2) they don't have a chance.

usualsuspect
05-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Do you have any personal experience with handicap fomats for table tennis competition? IMO, the 11 point game makes them extremely effective. I doubt more than a five point handicap would be needed to make the outcome 50-50 between men and women in T2 APAC. There are also formats where the stronger player starts with negative points, so they need 16 to win the set for example.

I've participated and played in handicap tournaments locally and seen fantastic matches with skill differences as extreme as a usatt 2300 vs 1100. It's not pros against amateurs, and table tennis isn't wrestling or weightlifting, the women can play.

Using ML as your example weakens your argument, imo. He schools 99% of the other men in the top 300, so why wouldn't he do the same to Ding Ning? There's no ML in T2 APAC.

Um... you do realize Ding Ning isn't any other player. She's (arguably) the best female player right now. That's why I used this example, the best male player (arguably) vs. the best female player. Not sure how that weakens my argument. I thought it's more effective to compare male player and female player with similar respective rankings. Also, this is just an example, I know Ma Long isn't in T2APAC.

Loopadoop
05-15-2018, 02:43 PM
I think everyone would be surprised at Women vs men results.

Different styles, women have quicker reflexes, men more power, interesting to watch.

Brs
05-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Um... you do realize Ding Ning isn't any other player. She's (arguably) the best female player right now. That's why I used this example, the best male player (arguably) vs. the best female player. Not sure how that weakens my argument. I thought it's more effective to compare male player and female player with similar respective rankings. Also, this is just an example, I know Ma Long isn't in T2APAC.

Obviously I didn't make my point clear. ML would toy with every single player in t2 apac, male and female. He is so far ahead of the field right now that basically only FZD makes him play his best. That's why I said ML was not a good comparison to use.

More applicable would be something like Harimoto vs Bernie Szocs. Smash and scream x 2. Or FTW vs JSH.

ttmonster
05-15-2018, 05:09 PM
In Open competitions in US frequently men vs women happens , and you will be surprised at the results. Its not so easy to say "oh we should give women 5-0 handicap" .. the thing is men are not used to playing against players who are that quick , so they also have troubles adjusting .. take a look at few matches to understand how difficult its before people adapt ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLWdnRaE4S0

note that there is a 150 point difference already in terms of rating points and you should watch all the sets to get an insight each video is only for one set ...
In general in usatt ratings they say its nearly impossible to beat somebody if there is a 200 point difference , and these are already matured players not kids who are improving ...

usualsuspect
05-15-2018, 06:52 PM
Obviously I didn't make my point clear. ML would toy with every single player in t2 apac, male and female. He is so far ahead of the field right now that basically only FZD makes him play his best. That's why I said ML was not a good comparison to use.

More applicable would be something like Harimoto vs Bernie Szocs. Smash and scream x 2. Or FTW vs JSH.

The strength difference would be great between male and female players of similar ranking. I would say most male players would be able to counterloop most shots from female players without problem and recover quickly for the next shot. Female players would not be able to hit as hard and, more importantly, would not be able to recover as quickly for a powerful follow up shot.
Maybe in early sets of a match, the difference might not be as noticeable. But in the later sets when rallies get longer and fatigue start to set in, the difference will become obvious.

mrk
05-15-2018, 07:25 PM

No chance for Ding Ning or any other women. Womens are much much slower and weaker. Every Top 100 male would crush Ding Ning easily.

Brs
05-15-2018, 07:44 PM
No chance for Ding Ning or any other women. Womens are much much slower and weaker. Every Top 100 male would crush Ding Ning easily.

Yes, and strength and speed are everything in table tennis. It's not some girly sport where skill is the most important thing. That's why for example a 14 year old boy could never in a million years compete with grown men who are twice his size .. oh, wait ... never mind.

Atas Newton
05-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Every top 100 player - no. Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hun8KtEk3c
Every top 20 player - most definitely.

usualsuspect
05-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Yes, and strength and speed are everything in table tennis. It's not some girly sport where skill is the most important thing. That's why for example a 14 year old boy could never in a million years compete with grown men who are twice his size .. oh, wait ... never mind.

First of all, it depends on the boy. (Have you seen FZD when he's 14?).

Second, your comparison isn't analogous to what we are discussing. We are talking about men vs. women, not grown men vs. adolescent boy. (Again, FZD at age 14 is probably as strong as an average professional TT player).

Third, there's logical fallacy in your argument again. Just because it's possible for Harimoto to beat FZD, doesn't mean all physically weaker players can consistently defeat their stronger counterpart.

usualsuspect
05-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Every top 100 player - no. Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hun8KtEk3c
Every top 20 player - most definitely.

Come on now, legendary players like Li Xiaoxia and Zhang Yining won't go down so easily.

Brs
05-15-2018, 09:15 PM

First of all, it depends on the boy. (Have you seen FZD when he's 14?).

Second, your comparison isn't analogous to what we are discussing. We are talking about men vs. women, not grown men vs. adolescent boy. (Again, FZD at age 14 is probably as strong as an average professional TT player).

Third, there's logical fallacy in your argument again. Just because it's possible for Harimoto to beat FZD, doesn't mean all physically weaker players can consistently defeat their stronger counterpart.

I wasn't replying to you. Did you read mrk's post saying every top 100 man would crush DN easily because they are all stronger and faster than her? That's what I was replying to.

And I suggest you stop mentioning logic in your posts if you can't tell the difference between an assertion that physically weaker players can sometimes beat stronger players in table tennis, which is what I said using Harinoto as an example, and asserting that weaker players will consistently beat physically stronger players, which I never said and you just made up out of thin air. Logic isn't even in the picture when you are that confused.

ILoveTT
05-15-2018, 10:17 PM
T2 should sign up Waldner! Imagine he as a captain

Suga D
05-15-2018, 10:33 PM
Here's a post i wrote a while ago based on the same topic.

I mean their rating, like I have said. 1900 TTR against each other, woman won't stand a chance.

Even women playing in Bundesliga with a TTR of 2200 can struggle against men with a TTR below 2000. Maybe the difference between men and women gets bigger the higher the level gets as table tennis gets more physical there. But even in amateur classes you can't compare the two sexes. If there are tournaments with both in one draw the women usually will participate in the class with men one or two leagues below them. And they still can't win.

I am from Baden-Württemberg, women are now allowed to participate in men teams additionally (still in women teams as well). They are seeded according to their TTR. Not a single woman from my club has won a game so far, they lost against men with 100 TTR points less and even worse.

I was talking about men and women with equal ratings against each other. Not woman vs man with a few hundred points less. It only makes sense to compare the best female player to one of the best male players and not to a random pips player. Moreover, rumors say that the male players there had to imitate styles of female players to prepare the female CNT players for OG.

Comparing male and female players with equal rating does not make sense at all!

This really might be your personal view based on your experience, but i think Gangarth's post got burried a little.
Maybe because of language barrier, so maybe i can explain others what it's about.

It is about the stereotype male sexist remark that men that don't even play on a very high level themselves are bragging how they could have an easy time playing in the “Damen-Bundesliga“ the highest women's class in Germany.
One guy from Bad Driburg got so tired of the same old 60+ vets bragging how they would make ladies have a hard time against sharp backspin balls that he set up two teams with players of nearly equal ratings.
When setting up the teams he thought that the men should be rated hundred points lower to get some close and exciting matches.
Afterwards he didn't think so anymore
[Emoji6]
and said the ratings are pretty equal!

The men's team's rating was about 90pts lower than Bad Driburg's women and now guess what happened.

Yap, the women won 9:4 (!!!) over the men!!
[Emoji2][Emoji23]

https://www.mytischtennis.de/public/buntes/6297/frau-gegen-mann--bad-driburg-siegt-im-geschlechterkampf

rainneverever
05-15-2018, 11:38 PM
CNT did have men (B team) vs women (A team) formal warm-up match before. Best women players can beat men's team B.

2008 http://sports.sohu.com/20080418/n256386547.shtml
Wang Nan 2-3 Yan An
Guo Yue 1-3 Fang Bo
Li Xiaoxia 3-1 Song Hongyuan
Wang Nan 0-3 Fang Bo

2016 https://sports.qq.com/a/20140909/001291.htm
Li Xiaoxia 4-2 Ren Hao
Ding Ning 4-1 Yan Sheng

They also had men (A team) vs women (A team) sometimes.
https://sports.qq.com/a/20140909/001291.htm
2014 men's team started with 0:4 or 6:8 or 8:9. Some results:
Ding Ning 11:13 Xu Xin
Chen Meng 9:11 Wang Hao (Chen Meng was leading 7:2)
Li Xiaoxia vs Fan Zhendong (FZD won)
Liu Shiwen vs Zhou Yu (LSW won!!!!!)
Zhu Yuling vs Zhang Jike (ZJK won)
Li Xiaoxia vs Wang Hao (no result, likely WH won)

rainneverever
05-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Just in case you don't know Ren Hao, he beat XX twice in the past CTTSL. He is ranked #16 in the past CTTSL, higher than Xu Chenhao, Yu Ziyang, Wang Chuqin and etc.
Yan Sheng is ranked #32.
http://cttsl.sports.cn/grpm/

iammaru
05-16-2018, 05:55 AM
Ding Ning or LSW, especially Ding Ning is good enough to compete with men, not the top 10 or top 20 obviously. She would have a good chance vs most men outside top 50.
Harimoto at 12 proves that you don't need much power to win some top 100 men, his forehand was very weak at that time and he could already beat top 100 players with his BH and early timing. Strength is overrated. And girls are not slow, they are super fast, yes, they lack power but if they have better touch, reflexes, serves, placement, timing, etc. than male players, they can beat them for sure.
Unfortunately, you can't find enough girls like Ding Ning or LSW to make women vs men possible at T2 APAC.

ILoveTT
05-16-2018, 09:37 AM
CNT did have men (B team) vs women (A team) formal warm-up match before. Best women players can beat men's team B.

Wang Nan 2-3 Yan An
Guo Yue 1-3 Fang Bo
Wang Nan 0-3 Fang Bo

Li Xiaoxia 4-2 Ren Hao
Ding Ning 4-1 Yan Sheng

LSW beat Zhou Yu. Is there any youtube matches of these games rain?

usualsuspect
05-16-2018, 06:03 PM
I wasn't replying to you. Did you read mrk's post saying every top 100 man would crush DN easily because they are all stronger and faster than her? That's what I was replying to.

And I suggest you stop mentioning logic in your posts if you can't tell the difference between an assertion that physically weaker players can sometimes beat stronger players in table tennis, which is what I said using Harinoto as an example, and asserting that weaker players will consistently beat physically stronger players, which I never said and you just made up out of thin air. Logic isn't even in the picture when you are that confused.

So what's your point? You want T2 to consistently pit clearly weaker players against superior players in hopes that the weaker players might win? If that's want you want to see, then good for you. I prefer more evenly matched games, that's why everyone is debating whether mixed-gender match is a good idea.

usualsuspect
05-16-2018, 06:12 PM

I am really surprised too that Zhou Yu lost to LSW. But this was 4 years ago. Also Zhou Yu and Yan An aren't known for being powerful players. Zhou Yu is good at borrowing power from opponents (you can't borrow power if there isn't much to start with) and Yan An focuses on close-to-table quick attacks (if the opponent can read your tactics, then you are toast). So I guess it makes sense. I can see them being defeated by good female players.

rainneverever
05-17-2018, 06:53 AM
Only news report, but ZY started 0:4 LSW. I think it was only 1 game.

Loopadoop
05-17-2018, 11:23 AM
There were distinct competitive differences in last year's league for both men and women, so it shouldn't make any difference to play mixed genders this year or the future.

Raylazyfo
05-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Here's a post i wrote a while ago based on the same topic.

Yes but the men who compete in T2 are not over 60!

I agree that Men vs Women matches would be entertaining in some cases, but if we are honest the men would win 90% of the time, and every match that is Male vs Female is a match that could have been Male vs Male or Female vs Female.

NextLevel
05-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Yes but the men who compete in T2 are not over 60!

I agree that Men vs Women matches would be entertaining in some cases, but if we are honest the men would win 90% of the time, and every match that is Male vs Female is a match that could have been Male vs Male or Female vs Female.

Han Ying for example has been known to beat players on the men's German national team because of her chopping variation.

In the end, even if men win, it is not as simple as some think they have to use the right strategies as simply trying to hit through the blocks of the ladies is a death sentence

Brs
05-18-2018, 01:58 PM
So the original question was what points handicap would take the win ratio to 50:50? Some one said 5, I said I think less. If T2 gave women a 3 point per set handicap, then we would get to see more different matchups and more contrasting styles. If 3 isn't the right number, it would be easy for them to play some test matches and figure out what it is.

darucla
05-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Any news yet on the team managers and players ?

Actually, this was the original question. Does anyone have answers? I feel that I have seen the odd mention of players, but that may have been for the UTT in India.

zeio
05-18-2018, 10:07 PM
The only thing confirmed at the moment is that season 2 will start on July 7th at the same venue, the Pinewood Studios.

mrk
05-20-2018, 09:28 AM

Wang Nan 2-3 Yan An
Guo Yue 1-3 Fang Bo
Wang Nan 0-3 Fang Bo

Li Xiaoxia 4-2 Ren Hao
Ding Ning 4-1 Yan Sheng

You can be sure the men didn't play serious against these women, otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance. It's hilarious you are thinking it was a serious match from the men. Years ago Boll played a show match against world champion Guo Yue (at this time), out of 20 points she won only 1 point. Boll said that european top players would crush the best chinese women and you are thinking some of the top chinese (even if they are B chinese) could win against women lol. Keep dreaming.

Loopadoop
05-20-2018, 10:37 AM
You can be sure the men didn't play serious against these women, otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance. It's hilarious you are thinking it was a serious match from the men.

How do you know the women didn't play serious because it would be too embarrassing to the men if they won ?

Sali
05-20-2018, 10:55 AM
You can be sure the men didn't play serious against these women, otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance. It's hilarious you are thinking it was a serious match from the men. Years ago Boll played a show match against world champion Guo Yue (at this time), out of 20 points she won only 1 point. Boll said that european top players would crush the best chinese women and you are thinking some of the top chinese (even if they are B chinese) could win against women lol. Keep dreaming.
You are very sure about it... I am not and will tell you why:
1. If there was intention that women win all matches, how come few of them lost
2. Doesn't it look strange that best men players like FZD nad FB won their matches
3. If you watched these matches you would not say it was for fan, team B players did their best to win matches.
4. If you look closely to china players you will see that even in A squad they differ a lot. Last time LGL chose 12 players to team A. If you compare for instance FZD and Zhou Yu on international stage there is big difference. ZY was beaten several times by player like Steffen Mengel and other who are not even in top 20. So if you take team B having less experience on big stage and their skills they would be rather 50-100 in world ranking..
5. European players have totaly different style, they put more spin then speed so for chinese women who play very fast rifght after bounce it is very hard to adapt.

darucla
05-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Re: the TPAC T2 contenders, it seems likely that Georgina Pota will not be returning, as she is appearing in UTT. Could do both I suppose.

Sergio Tiria González
06-24-2018, 02:02 AM
Hi guys, i'm new here in this forum.

The T2's basic rules has no problem for me: the time, no deuce, kill zone... etc.. its ok.

But...

Can anyone tell me how or who decides de fixture in a match between tow teams? I mean, the orden in that players play and againts who?

Thanks.

ttmonster
06-24-2018, 02:26 AM
I would think the coaches decide ...

Hi guys, i'm new here in this forum.

The T2's basic rules has no problem for me: the time, no deuce, kill zone... etc.. its ok.

But...

Can anyone tell me how or who decides de fixture in a match between tow teams? I mean, the orden in that players play and againts who?

Thanks.

Sergio Tiria González
06-24-2018, 02:45 AM
Yes, but there isn't a specified order... A vs. Y ; B vs. X... or something?

zeio
07-02-2018, 03:25 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ecktFUQ.png

Roughly 30 mins later, it got "updated"

https://i.imgur.com/q9ORHmH.png

https://cs9.pikabu.ru/post_img/2018/07/01/10/1530467462184234857.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/TFWS12R4A60Kc/giphy.gif

TT Guru
07-02-2018, 04:37 AM
Hi all,

Season 2 of T2 APAC will not be held this year, and when T2 holds their next event it will not be called Season 2.
They are joining with ITTF and will hold events alongside the World Tour, where new concepts will be experimented with.
This info is from the ITTF-Sportsmaster press conference which I attended this morning in Singapore.

-ttGuru

TTHopeful
07-02-2018, 06:27 AM
Is this so ittf can have a hold on T2 and control it

igorponger
07-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Japanese most likely to pass by the T2, anyway. They just launched their own domestic Super Pro League, a lot of foreigners to take part there.

Atas Newton
09-26-2018, 01:38 PM
The announcement of the next T2 league in 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uVgN1jTGRc

Loopadoop
09-26-2018, 01:54 PM
So, what is the playing structure in 2019 and who is playing ?

TTHopeful
09-26-2018, 11:34 PM
What does this mean for T2? They still alive?

Atas Newton
09-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Guys I don't have any further info, I just saw this video uploaded recently. From the looks of things, the more concrete announcements are to follow soon.