T2 APAC 2018 who's confirmed?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I actually want to see mixed gender match-ups. That'd be a game-changer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I actually want to see mixed gender match-ups. That'd be a game-changer.
as in men vs women? Unless they modify the rules to give women some sort of a handicap, like a 5-0 start in each game, I don't see it going well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
as in men vs women? Unless they modify the rules to give women some sort of a handicap, like a 5-0 start in each game, I don't see it going well.

It might not go well in a sense of that women are likely to lose. But, it could be an interesting match from the spectator point of view, just to see how different styles match up (I'd watch it...).

The topic does come up occasionally: who will win, Ding Ning or Paul Drinkhall? Not with these specific players, but you get my drift.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
When you get these kind of hypothetical matchups in other sports (major league baseball batters vs women olympic fast-pitch softball pitchers for example) it is isually the men who are too gentlemanly (i.e. scared) to participate. It would be relatively easy for t2 apac to find out by experimenting in some practice matches what an effective handicap would be. I would love to watch that.

This user has no status.
When you get these kind of hypothetical matchups in other sports (major league baseball batters vs women olympic fast-pitch softball pitchers for example) it is isually the men who are too gentlemanly (i.e. scared) to participate. It would be relatively easy for t2 apac to find out by experimenting in some practice matches what an effective handicap would be. I would love to watch that.

IMHO, the difference between men and women is too huge in table tennis for mixed-gender matches to be enjoyable. I know in some sports that might be a good idea. For example, there's little difference between men and women in something like curling or marksmanship. I saw Ma Long and Ding Ning play an exhibition game once. Even though it was only an exhibition, the difference in power and speed was very clear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
IMHO, the difference between men and women is too huge in table tennis for mixed-gender matches to be enjoyable. I know in some sports that might be a good idea. For example, there's little difference between men and women in something like curling or marksmanship. I saw Ma Long and Ding Ning play an exhibition game once. Even though it was only an exhibition, the difference in power and speed was very clear.

Perhaps - but then mixed doubles do exist somehow as competition format, so there is that. I think T2 is positioned as a place to try new things in TT, so if anyone could try it quickly, that's probably them.

I also think they and ITTF should experiment more with broadcast/presentation parts: camera angles, slo-mo replays, stats of every kind, ball speed/spin measurement and trajectory tracking - anything that would make viewers more engaged.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

Do you have any personal experience with handicap fomats for table tennis competition? IMO, the 11 point game makes them extremely effective. I doubt more than a five point handicap would be needed to make the outcome 50-50 between men and women in T2 APAC. There are also formats where the stronger player starts with negative points, so they need 16 to win the set for example.

I've participated and played in handicap tournaments locally and seen fantastic matches with skill differences as extreme as a usatt 2300 vs 1100. It's not pros against amateurs, and table tennis isn't wrestling or weightlifting, the women can play.

Using ML as your example weakens your argument, imo. He schools 99% of the other men in the top 300, so why wouldn't he do the same to Ding Ning? There's no ML in T2 APAC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Scottish junior girls' coach said this year, that he easily beat every women player except Shan Xiaona (or Han Ying, I can't remember exactly, german-chinese top player).
Georgina Póta gave him some trouble with dead flat hits, but every single of them (except Shan Xiaona, I believe he was the highest ranked women he played against) lacked power.
Unfortunately I don't know what was the exact level of the coach, but I think he was never national team member (in Hungary).
The thing is, that power is a big issue. The really top women players might give some trouble, but against top men (those who participate in T2) they don't have a chance.

This user has no status.
Do you have any personal experience with handicap fomats for table tennis competition? IMO, the 11 point game makes them extremely effective. I doubt more than a five point handicap would be needed to make the outcome 50-50 between men and women in T2 APAC. There are also formats where the stronger player starts with negative points, so they need 16 to win the set for example.

I've participated and played in handicap tournaments locally and seen fantastic matches with skill differences as extreme as a usatt 2300 vs 1100. It's not pros against amateurs, and table tennis isn't wrestling or weightlifting, the women can play.

Using ML as your example weakens your argument, imo. He schools 99% of the other men in the top 300, so why wouldn't he do the same to Ding Ning? There's no ML in T2 APAC.

Um... you do realize Ding Ning isn't any other player. She's (arguably) the best female player right now. That's why I used this example, the best male player (arguably) vs. the best female player. Not sure how that weakens my argument. I thought it's more effective to compare male player and female player with similar respective rankings. Also, this is just an example, I know Ma Long isn't in T2APAC.