Help with picking first bat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
hey everyone, im new round here, so please go easy on me! ;)

Firstly, bit about me. I played a lot of table tennis when younger, both for my school/college and with a local club too and i thoroughly enjoyed it. At the time, i was fortunate enough to have the chap who ran the club make me a bat, not sure what blade it had, but it definately had tackiness chop and tackiness drive rubbers, and i loved it. I have not played though for at least the last 10 years or so.

Recently, after joining a gym, i have started playing once a week or so with a friend, using the hired bats, which are frankly rubbish. In addition, my work are running a charity table tennis event for the local offices, so i have signed up to see how it goes! For this though i would like to purchase a new bat. This is where i am hoping some of you knowledgable people will help me. As i have no experience of making my own bat, i am wondering if someone could help point out a bat or two with similar qualities to the tackiness chop/drive rubbers, with a slightly heavier blade. Money isnt a major issue, but i wouldnt want to spend a small fortune on something that may or may not be taken further.

Any advice would be fantastic!

Regards

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi Zoglug, warm welcome. Better late than never I suppose. hehe

Well, years ago, back in the late 80's, I used to play with tackiness chop. Excellent rubber I might say. They now have Chop II. My advice since you've stop serious playing for a bit now, the sensible thing for you to do is to find the set up that you're familiar with...at least until you get your groove back.
You may ask your local supplier by explaining your previous set up. There are a lot of high tension rubbers out there nowadays, and if I were you, I will avoid them for the time being. A softer rubber would be perfect for you. It'll allow you to get your strokes and timing back. Soft DHS rubbers is the way to go. They're inexpensive, good and if you think that you're not getting your game back, you wouldn't feel so gutted.
As for blades, I would go for OFF or ALL+. It'll allow you to upgrade to faster rubbers later on when you get your swing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Cheers for the advice!

I think im going to take the plunge and get this DOUBLE HAPPINESS 3002X BAT (i cant post links!) From the site 'It features a good allround blade with Double Happiness PF4 sticky surface rubber in a controllably attacking 1.8mm thickness'
It has the rubbers i was looking at through tees sports and is £5 cheaper than a pair of the rubbers. Should see me good whilst im getting to grips with things again. Does it look resaonable for a beginner?

Mar 2011
Cheers for the advice!

I think im going to take the plunge and get this DOUBLE HAPPINESS 3002X BAT (i cant post links!) From the site 'It features a good allround blade with Double Happiness PF4 sticky surface rubber in a controllably attacking 1.8mm thickness'
It has the rubbers i was looking at through tees sports and is £5 cheaper than a pair of the rubbers. Should see me good whilst im getting to grips with things again. Does it look resaonable for a beginner?

It does sound good mate. It's a good start for you to gage where you are at the moment. When you get better and your confidence grow, you can always upgrade your rubbers 1st.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I don't know if it's too late, but you could always try the Chinese brands outside of DHS. DHS excluding some of their other rubbers can almost be name brand. If you're spending more than $50 USD then you should really rethink it. I don't know what shipping would be, but I'd even send you a paddle for cheaper than the $50.00 as long as we could find a reasonable shipping price. For a first bat I'd recommend anything that is controllable and cheap. Because you really want a flexible blade to learn about the touch of the new equipment.

Good luck with the search however.