Yasaka Rigan

This user has no status.
Has anyone played with this new rubber, or even seen it?

I have check the main sales sites and no one even lists it.

I think it is supposed to be a tensioned or high performance/pop modern technology (what Yasaka calls Hybrid Energy or Power Sponge), combined with classic rubber top sheet. I am thinking Mark V with Rakza sponge underneath, but I could be completely off.

I am interested in trying it if I can find a sheet.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hello!

We recently started to send some out to stores so keep your eyes open ;)

We just released some information about Rigan on our facebook page ( Yasaka Table Tennis ).

You also got the chance to win one sheet of Rigan as well.

Best regards

Olle @ Wood House Ab/Yasaka Europe

Last edited:
This is a soft rubber. Soft but bouncy and has above average spin for a German rubber. It is good mainly as a backhand rubber. Beginners or intermediate players can use this in their forehand with no problem.

This user has no status.
I finally bought some and so will give a brief review here.

I like the quality of the rubber and felt it was very controllable. It is listed by Yasaka as having built in effect (their way of saying tensioned or tensor rubber), and I think it is a lot like a tensioned Mark V and for that reason a good step up from Mark V for intermediate players. I say this not so much because I believe Mark V is only for beginners, as I played it almost exclusively back in the 1970's and so did all the advanced and world class players (that or Sriver). These were players who were much more capable than the beginners of today and would of course beat many of the intermediate of even advanced players today - even with that old equipment.

Still there is a lot more choices available today so if we relegate Mark V to the beginner pile; Rigan fits right in at the next step. But so too does a rubber like Mark V HPS, which is also listed by Yasaka as having a built in effect. Another rubber in this category would be Valmo. Both of these are faster than Rigan and Valmo is clearly spinnier, and harder to control - with Mark V HPS maybe less so. So I guess I would say that Rigan stands out because it offers more but not at the sake of control.

I played with it on the backhand side of a Ma Lin Carbon bat with Rakza X soft on the forehand. It replaced the Mark V that was on there and so I am confident of Rigan offering more - but it is not shockingly obvious. My Valmo and Mk V HPS are on opposite sides of a Sweden Classic and even on that much slower bat both seem a good deal faster than the Rigan on the Carbon (but importantly they do not seem as responsive as the Rakza on that bat (which is to be expected I think).

So in summary I would describe Rigan as a tensioned Mark V that doesn't lose its control just for the sake of speed and spin, but yet does have gains in both.

I hope that helps anyone who is considering it.

says Aha, sorry. Trodde du var en annan Millesom spelar i...
Rigan Spin!

Even the Rigan, when it camed out on the market was more like a continuation of a classic Mark V, than the two upgraded versions HPS, and HPS Soft. It had, and has all the trademarks of a Mark V. I will be talking about the successor Rigan Spin here!

And You have absolutely right when you say Rigan is an upgraded tensioned HPS. With new technology Hybrid Energy. A wonderful, spinnier version, in fact the spinniest yet, Mark V, combining the best of Rakza and Mark V. Its no Rakza 7, but it is very cool with the inbuilt power, and the rubber that anyone just can pick up and play, like they never had played with something else. To the price, it is a crazy cheap rubber that last so long that you ll ne able to discuss it with your children/grrand-children, depending on the age you are;) I will start, after my initial test with a group of friends to order 15-20 pieces. Play the Spin version as fh and the older version as bh. Its a terrific backhand with great spin, together with a stronger fh-rubber, like Japans most sold rubber, the Nittaku Fastarc G1!. oR vice cerce, its terrific as a Max sponge for drives, and spinny serves, and a Rasanter R47 as backhand. As crazy ii sounds, the more crazy it gets when you realize im right!:D Anyway, buy and feel like you are 14 yo and just about to take the weeks first training oass wuth your new Mark V. Your own Mark V!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dream2K
This user has no status.
Yes, Rakza 7 is still a better rubber!

Better for who?

I though that Rigan is a control rubber for beginners and Rakza is for advanced players? Isn’t Rigan supposed to be a beginner rubber acting as a modern replacement for Mark V? Am I wrong about that?

Last edited:
Hexer Grip is a little more advanced type of rubber. But pretty similar. Rigan Spin is the also advanced, but still in just before Hexer Grip. Its kind of a middle++ kind of rubber. Or a 7,5 of 10 on the ratingscale. It was and is the feeling and the memories that got me so excited about it. Feelings i did not get when playing Mark V HPS and HPS Soft. Like a teen crush. But it IS a powerful tool, much more so than regular Rigan. And as somebody stated above, some players could without doubt use this as their firstrated forehand. Personally. Ithink it serves bh best, and a more powerful fh. Or why not have it as fh on one racket when you want to feel a little sentimental, and a R53 on a other when you want to be...you...

Better for who?

I though that Rigan is a control rubber for beginners and Rakza is for advanced players? Isn’t Rigan supposed to be a beginner rubber acting as a modern replacement for Mark V? Am I wrong about that?
You right about Rigan. Rigan Spin is more advanced. Rakza 7 is yet another step.