PDA

View Full Version : Should you practice the strawberry?

Dan
05-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Hey guys, so I currently coach Louis Price who is now on the England under 15's team and doing really well. He told me today that his strawberry shot has really improved, so I spent 10 minutes doing a practice session on it mixing it up with his backhand flick, here's the result:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FTableTennisDaily%2Fvideos%2F10155823290469332%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Do you think this is something to practice? Have you tried this shot before?

By the way, who came up with the idea that this shot should be called the strawberry? Anyone know the source haha? :D

drunix80
05-23-2018, 10:49 PM
I heard about the "strawberry" from one and only Adam Bobrow. Meanwhile, I am no technical expert of TT. But when I compare the kids strawberry with Simon Gauzy/ Mima Ito, it seems it is little low on (back/side) spin and high on speed.

UpSideDownCarl
05-24-2018, 01:17 AM
The kid looks good Dan. It looks good to see how the option of either the banana or the strawberry gives the opponent a big range of placements they would have to be ready for.

NextLevel
05-24-2018, 03:15 AM
Hey guys, so I currently coach Louis Price who is now on the England under 15's team and doing really well. He told me today that his strawberry shot has really improved, so I spent 10 minutes doing a practice session on it mixing it up with his backhand flick, here's the result:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FTableTennisDaily%2Fvideos%2F10155823290469332%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Do you think this is something to practice? Have you tried this shot before?

By the way, who came up with the idea that this shot should be called the strawberry? Anyone know the source haha? :D

The source I have is Stefan Feth (via Larry Hodges). But who really knows...

watcher
05-24-2018, 04:44 AM
I see xu xin occasionally use the penhold equivalent of this stroke. He uses it occasionally when he catches opponents out of position and wants to flick the ball the other way. It's certainly a situational stroke, but it's nice to have in the arsenal.

Der_Echte
05-24-2018, 04:48 AM

I will have to ask him the next time I prowl around his WCTTC...

ttmonster
05-24-2018, 04:51 AM
... same source .. in person :)

Der_Echte
05-24-2018, 05:00 AM
... and Monster knows... in person.

Xylit
05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Proof of source:

chrisswiss1
05-24-2018, 12:50 PM
I heard that this shot is called "L'aile de poulet" or Chicken Wing in France...! Is this correct? Makes sense with the
shot technique, no?

suds79
05-24-2018, 01:02 PM
it's a cool shot.

I play penhold with inverted on the forehand and a long pips on the RPB side.

That being said, I've began copying and using that (Xu Xin was the first one I ever saw do it) forehand inverted I'm calling a forehand strawberry flick and it's great vs anything back & side from what I've seen.

Being a penhold exclusive shot, it puts the same spin a BH strawberry flick would do. I suppose it's basically a penhold reverse pendulum serve action.

Anyways, yes it's a great change up. Cool to see the game ever evolving.

langel
05-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Innaresting! Till now I thought that its strawberry if you hit with the red sheet, and blackberry with the black one :p

Airoc
05-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Cool to see the game ever evolving.

Indeed, especially at a time when the prophets of doom see the dark age of short pips fast attack returning because of plastic balls, I welcome any gameplan and any new idea that proves ┬┤em wrong ;)

cfagyal
05-24-2018, 07:55 PM
It is a very cool shot though hard to execute really well. I heard about it from Adam Bobrow and then watched videos on Zhang Jike practicing the stroke. I'm not at the level this kid is I doubt, but i've been trying to focus on spin more than speed, as a surprise technique to spin the ball away from the wide forehand of a right handed player, especially when they expect my flick to go towards their body or elbow. I flick with sidespin taking the ball out wide away from the table i've found is a nice surprise tactic.